Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best trip so far 94.4MPG. Full tank of gas, 2 people, winter tires and -1C. I tried a little but lots of room for improvement. I love this car!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
7 miles in sub freezing weather with no seat belt or power steering?

Must be a block heater and some pack charger/balancer involved. I can get about 9 miles before a charge wears off.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
6,916 Posts
I'm guessing that he just fueled up so his engine was already warm and that only the ignition was on in the pic, and there is no grid charger or MIMA involved.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Guess that is no different than when I reset my trip with a warm engine, my phev kit and went 8 miles down the road for a cup of coffee and returning 96mpg?

I typically set my cruse control for 56mph and go down various sections of i95 so anyone can copy it to test aero mods vs driving style as speed is a constant.

It was fairly warm today and between i95 and stop n go 8 miles down Hull St I managed 72mpg.

·
6,916 Posts
It is different because I don't think he has a PHEV kit. ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Last week when it was into the high teens and mid 20's with one morning as high as 30F. I didn't grid charge any so all I had was the block heater helping me and was able to get mid 80's mpg and as high as 93 on the day it was 30F while taking my wife to work at 10 miles from home. Starting coolant temps on the coldest mornings was 120-130F. It will be interesting to see how it does if I ever get the PHEV kit installed, MIMA or something equivalent, and the OBDII C&C gauge.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Interesting.... The colder weather has kept me from exceeding 60mpg with or without the block heater or warm air intake.

To tell you the truth I see a decrease in mpg using a warm air intake of any kind and can not tell a difference with the block heater. Either its not hot enough or I drive too far for it to make any impact. I do notice however it takes 8 miles or so to get up to 180 degrees. Thats with no use of heat and a full grill block doing 55mph in stop n go traffic.

My trips are typically an hour in time and 30 miles in length.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Have you checked your block heater with an ohm meter? Is it working? I have a 15 mile drive to work and can tell the difference between 2 hours and 2 1/2 hours of block heater time. I am up to temp lots faster, and so is the mpg with the block heater.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have the warm air intake mod in place and I also have the entire lower grill blocked off. I stuffed foam pipe insulation in all of the slots. I usually see 180F coolant from 5-7 miles out in the morning. I think you may be right about the trip length as my trip is only 10 miles each way. One day last week, I forgot to turn on the block heater for the afternoon trip to pick my wife up from work. I usually have it on a timer but haven't taken the time to program a new on/off cycle. The return trip home was very similar in mileage to the return trip earlier in the day when I started with the heater's benefit.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah it still works. It seems with the 400 watts its rated at 2 hours seems to be the most economical in warmth vs lead time. It makes the cold engine light go off 2 minutes earlier in my trip, but thats 120 degrees. I usually wait til I see 180 before turning on the heater as it seems to be better at maintaining that temp. If I turn the heat on early it will hover around 120 degrees.

Better yet, if I turn it on from the start it will hover around 70 degrees when its 20 out. :(

·
6,916 Posts
The warm air intake mod is to help lean burn. It's not going to help a 2nd generation Insight in the same manner.

Make sure you're using recircle. Coolant temp will come up to temp a lot faster if you have the heat on, though of course not as fast as with the heat off.

Regarding the block heater.. I see the same temps that Need4Speed does. It makes sense that the block heater isn't going to be as effective in the 2nd generation under the same ambient conditions. Same wattage with a bigger engine = more surface area = lower equilibrium point.

I'm not even sure why you're comparing them in any regards. They're completely and totally different cars and not comparable in the slightest. The only similarity is that they both carry the "Insight" name, which is a disservice to the 1st generation, IMO. :p ;)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
With a warm air intake and letting her go over 190 I see no more than 25 degrees of timing. When I have a cai or unmodded and keep the engine about 180 I see 30+ degrees of timing.

Ive met a few people online and in person who say they too have tried the warm air suggestions and find on their trips it hurts vs help. Of course many of them travel at least an hour or 30+ miles. Those who travel short trips seem to benefit from hot anything.

Regardless of the vehicle, it seems we have quite a few intelligent people here, but when it comes to the brass tacks, they pre heat their vehicle and charge it, drive to the top of a hill, reset the trip then say in -32 degree weather. Opps, I got 150 mpg!!!

They use a driving style or technique that is no where documented or even a way to add a control. I always use cruse control as a control as anyone can set it and duplicate the route I took as that is a constant.

Some how I just do not see how that is fare or any way to set standard for comparison. :(

·
6,916 Posts
That's not true at all, most people here are honest and aren't out to impress anyone except themselves. But I do understand the sentiment. That's why I rarely talk about one way trips, and only if they're several hundred miles.

But you're right, it's a disservice to others overall when people post things like this but don't tell us about the circumstances. That's why when I post things about my MPG I go into great detail, giving average speed, a topo map of the route I took, etc. It's only fair.

·
Registered
737 Posts
That's not true at all, most people here are honest and aren't out to impress anyone except themselves. But I do understand the sentiment. That's why I rarely talk about one way trips, and only if they're several hundred miles.

But you're right, it's a disservice to others overall when people post things like this but don't tell us about the circumstances. That's why when I post things about my MPG I go into great detail, giving average speed, a topo map of the route I took, etc. It's only fair.
Good point Eli. I too will try to give more round trip details as well. I was only mentioning the one direction above since the topic seemed to be low temperatures and that particular return trip was later in the day and the temps were usually higher. I also agree that knowing the route is important and was wondering if you had any suggestions on what to use for topo maps. I also like to know the topography ahead of time on road trips, especially when it's the first time I've traveled it so a good topo map would be invaluable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't think I would cause such a stir but I was just excited to see some high numbers as I've only had this car a short time. Yes car was warm as I just filled up at the gas station and I don't have any extras. It's all stock.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
Redlinesd1
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing