Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group,

My first CEL (check engine light) came on at around 20,000 miles, the code was P1164, lean burn problem. The dealer, in consultation with the Honda tech line, replaced the #1 O2 sensor.

The light has come on inumerable times since then (once for an aftermarket 'trap-door' fuel cap :oops: ) and the dealer, at the Tech lines behest, has replaced three computers (the orginal, a replacement and the Dec. 2002 recall ones) and about six or so O2 sensors...I've lost count.

The last O2 sensor, which the dealer assumed might fix the problem, wasn't even the Insight O2 sensor, it had a part number that wasn't listed in his database. 8)

When it was removed for inspection, the service manager said it was as white as a Tee shirt, due to the exhaust temperatures. The dealer also said that my upload to the Honda tech line people was listing an 85 mpg fuel average and that this was imposible (are you listening Rick Reese?)!

The dealer has now been told by the Honda tech line to install
NO MORE O2 sensors in my car! Just reinstall the old one.

They propose to sent a 'Super Tech' out of the Jacksonville, Fl. district office in a month or two.

The car now has 60,000 miles and after losing
A lot of half days of work due to the Honda tech line being unavailable on Saturdays, I have a question for the group... is this good service or am I driving a A LEMON ? :cry:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
02 081 is the December 2002 ECM recall

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

Make : HONDA Model : INSIGHT Year : 2000

Service Bulletin Num : 02081 Date of Bulletin: DEC 17, 2002

Component: EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL

Summary:
EMISSIONS RECALL - THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) DOES NOT CORRECTLY IDENTIFY ALL MALFUNCTIONS OF THE AIR/FUEL RATIO SENSOR. BECAUSE OF THIS, THE VEHICLE DOES NOT MEET STATE AND FEDERAL EMISSIONS REGULATIONS. *TT

·
Registered
652 Posts
O2 Sensor

Kevin,
Sorry to hear about the O2 sensor problem. From your post it sounds as if you attribute the O2 sensor failure due to high exhaust temps. I use the hot air mod even in the summer to keep a high intake temp which I would think would raise the exhaust temp a bit as well. I have never had a problem other than the more frequent recalibrations. In fact the way things are going my Insight will never see the dealer during the waranty period.
In regards to my impossible mileage I would be happy to demonstrate for anyone including the Honda rep. I met Mark last year in Greensboro NC as he wanted to do some fuel efficency comparisons. We went for a 60 mile test run swaping drivers at the halfway point. We both have 00 5 speed silverstone models with vins of less than 100 difference. The end result was both cars finished the 60 mile trip with greater than 100 mpg average. In both parts of the trip he got a few mpg better than me probably because of weight differences (I'm 6'5" and around 240lbs while Mark is probably 150-160). Our average speed on the trip was probably about 52 mph on fairly level terrain. This summer I fully expect to raise the lmpg average to over 90. I figure at that point I should try to get Honda to sponser a coast to coast fuel economy record for a production car. Have fun, RIck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts