Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased and installed a grid charger to address an IMA error on my daughter's gen1 Insight. I charged and discharged it a couple of times before driving it again. All was well for a couple weeks then she received a P1449, p1448,and even a P1576 at different times (I reset the codes in between each one).

So am I down to a battery rebuild or replacement? From what I can tell researching this site and others, getting these different codes indicates at least a bad, maybe leaking, cell.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Rebuild (bad idea) or replace.

Before you did the charging did you happen to write down the voltage readings for each of the 10 sets of Hybrid Battery sticks?

And what are the readings now?
I did not measure individual sticks. If the car were mine and I was able to play with it I would probably break it down and look at individual sticks. As it stands my daughter needs the car so I just charged to ~165v then discharged to ~100v via a 40w bulb 2 times. Seemed to respond OK for 2 weeks then the P codes started and finally ended in another IMA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You should always try least damaging stage first,simple charge for 24-26 hours rest battery hour than reset 12 volt battery..
Thanks. That is my motto... start out simple and keep it simple. I did grid charge then discharge two times which got her back on the road for a couple weeks. Until the P codes started.

My daughter is interested in a little more reliability and a little less tinkering (although I enjoy tinkering) so we're probably gonna bite the bullet and get her a new battery. Fortunately I am pretty close to Portland Oregon and can visit one of this site's advertisers.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
She can still drive the car with a bad battery by bypassing the IMA battery. If it is a manual transmission, then just use higher shift points. The car won't have as much power accelerating from stops. If it is a CVT, bypassing robs the car of all the performance.

If you seriously contemplate rebuilding the pack, not a course having a lot of promise, then click this link and look at post #2:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/94562-question-concerning-old-battery-conditioning.html#post1061778

By measuring the stick pairs, you can identify the two bad sticks. Make the measurements and post them here for an assessment by those with experience. Grid charge the battery, let it sit ovennight and make the measurements next morning. While you are looking at post #2, read the links in S Keith's post #2. He knows this battery stuff as well as anyone.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Measuring the voltage once you have the lid off literally takes 5 minutes time and can be done via the front connector at the BCM on top of the battery. Always good to get a baseline.

If you need reliability, buy a battery pack with NEW cells.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Hey Eric, it depends on which way you consider front:)

If you have the rear hatch open, then the connector is looking you in the eye, which I consider rear cause it is toward the back of the car. If you are standing at the back hatch looking forward, the BCM is the silvery module on the left top of the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Measuring the voltage once you have the lid off literally takes 5 minutes time and can be done via the front connector at the BCM on top of the battery. Always good to get a baseline.

If you need reliability, buy a battery pack with NEW cells.
Ya, I should have pulled voltages when I was installing the grid charger. I will grab voltages for reference (information is always good to have). I think when we get back from Australia we will bite the bullet and get her a new pack.

Thanks for the information guys!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I just charged to ~165v then discharged to ~100v via a 40w bulb 2 times. Seemed to respond OK for 2 weeks then the P codes started and finally ended in another IMA.
Maybe some deep discharges are in order. To 75 and 50 volts. Nothing to lose and might be surprised at the results.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
No,,he did not even charge the battery the nessary hours needed to hit the fill phaze,discharging it before getting a true charge is not good for the battery,,bet it's just out of balance,,,charge it again only to 26 to 30 hours and I bet it gos higher than 165'..look for low 174 ,once it stops going up ,here where you need to monitor close,say hits 176 and doesn't change for an hour,at that point it's done the recharge,but go 2 more hours to complete the fill phaze. There so many opinions and better experts on here but I've been told discharge comes later down the line if a rebalance of cells don't result in a positive result.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No,,he did not even charge the battery the nessary hours needed to hit the fill phaze,discharging it before getting a true charge is not good for the battery,,bet it's just out of balance,,,charge it again only to 26 to 30 hours and I bet it gos higher than 165'..look for low 174 ,once it stops going up ,here where you need to monitor close,say hits 176 and doesn't change for an hour,at that point it's done the recharge,but go 2 more hours to complete the fill phaze. There so many opinions and better experts on here but I've been told discharge comes later down the line if a rebalance of cells don't result in a positive result.
There are a lot of experts here and the charge/discharge is what I came up with as an "average" of a lot of posts here. I can certainly give this a try and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
As you say, there are many experts;)

I think most folks agree that discharging shouldn't be used until the battery gets no better with balance charging. As 442 say, the primary criteria for balance charge time is to charge until the voltages reaches a plateau and no longer rises with time, then add a couple of hours.

It is discharging where you get into various theories. Some like me like to start out fairly modestly like 100 and 75, and look at the results.

I strongly feel that you need to charge to plateau, let the battery set overnight, and measure the tap voltages using the ref. I cited earlier. Pay particular attention to what S Keith says about his experience healing batteries with grid cycling. He does this as a sideline business so he sees lots of batteries, knows what is worth trying, and wants happy customers. There is no "expert" who has a better feel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts