Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently (well somewhat, about 7 months ago now) grabbed a MT that had been sitting, ironically, for 7 years. He parked it for the same reason: an IMA light. I grid charged the pack and did some work to the car, and passed it along to another forum member, who as far as I know, is still driving it without issues.

I implore you to grid charge the pack and at least attempt to revive it. The Honda OEM packs from 7+ years ago were much better built than the ones today. I wouldn't recommend a grid charge, just a top balance.

[Edit]: Furthermore I got a 118k mile CVT car that had been sitting for like 3 years because of an IMA light, and that car I didn't even grid charge, I just disconnected and reconnected the 12v about 10 times and let the car idle until the battery gauge did what is called a 'positive recal'. I then drove it home 450 miles+ about 300 miles around town without an issue. It didn't have registration so I haven't driven it further, but I'm sure the pack is fine. It survived a climb up the Gravevine(a 10% grade out here in SoCal).
I can verify that the car @Balto revived is still working fine. I’m not even being particularly kind to it! I am using the charge/assist boost controller from @retepsnikrep to increase the assist when pulling a hill on the way to work which is depleting the pack much more than it normally would. I then boost the regen going down the other side to charge it back up.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
I can verify that the car @Balto revived is still working fine. I’m not even being particularly kind to it! I am using the charge/assist boost controller from @retepsnikrep to increase the assist when pulling a hill on the way to work which is depleting the pack much more than it normally would. I then boost the regen going down the other side to charge it back up.
Glad to hear it's still working!

What MPG are you getting anyway?

·
Registered
00 Honda Insight 5MT, 01 Honda Civic 5MT, 85 Chevy K10 5MT DMAX SWAP, 97 F350 Powerstroke 5MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
See post #7 about the $50 Grid Charger
Awesome, thank you!

·
Registered
00 Honda Insight 5MT, 01 Honda Civic 5MT, 85 Chevy K10 5MT DMAX SWAP, 97 F350 Powerstroke 5MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Unsure if this is a common issue or not but it would be an easy one to miss. Found a broken ground/bonding strap. This is the upper ground next to the airbox. Pictures came after I had slid the wires out of the old ring lug. This was a lot less obvious when they were still inserted in the terminal.
Automotive tire Gas Cable Electrical wiring Engineering

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior

My dad and I were able to make a new one relatively quickly. Just some scrap 6 gauge wire and a couple ring lugs. I dont suppose this is technically the correct high strand count wire, I can't imagine it matters much though. This is what we had on hand.
Tool Wood Bicycle fork Fashion accessory Metal

·
Linsight Designer
3,904 Posts
Unsure if this is a common issue or not but it would be an easy one to miss. Found a broken ground/bonding strap. This is the upper ground next to the airbox.
This is probably the most common G1 Insight issue by a country mile. Kudos to you for finding it before you chased the hundreds of different downstream problems that a broken ground strap cable can manifest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very cool! Do you ever visit Hood river for the WAAAM fly in? I'm big into vintage aviation and taildraggers. My personal plane is a 1948 Cessna 170.

I'll grab a couple pictures of the old civic next chance I get. It's been a great eco car. I'll probably park it in my spare hangar and rotate it with the insight as necessary.
Haven't made it to the WAAAM fly in yet. We are sort of new to the PNW. Originally from SoCal. Hopefully when my son (2yo) is a little older we'll make a trip there, as well as Evergreen Museum. Can't wait to get down there!

That's a beautiful airplane. Wish I got to play with older stuff more...haven't had an opportunity since A&P school. They had a 150 and Aeronca Champ of similar vintage. They also had a P&W R985 Wasp Jr on a test stand, which was another highlight for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Haven't made it to the WAAAM fly in yet. We are sort of new to the PNW. Originally from SoCal. Hopefully when my son (2yo) is a little older we'll make a trip there, as well as Evergreen Museum. Can't wait to get down there!

That's a beautiful airplane. Wish I got to play with older stuff more...haven't had an opportunity since A&P school. They had a 150 and Aeronca Champ of similar vintage. They also had a P&W R985 Wasp Jr on a test stand, which was another highlight for me.

It's worth the trip when you folks are ready. Very fun event. I fly something of 40s vintage up there most years.

I've been buried in work, but I grabbed a couple pics of the 7th gen for you.
Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light
Vehicle Tire Window Hood Automotive tire

The mirror delete is a piece of aircraft aluminum that I tossed in the sheet metal brake and trimmed to fit. Fit and finish is actually better than OE mirror. Mounting hardware is epoxied inside, no external hardware. I paint matched it with a high quality single stage from the local auto paint shop and sprayed with an HVLP. Paint quality is equivalent to the single stage Honda used originally. It's been great for about 6mos and 8k miles.

I plan to do something similar with the insight on the passenger side. I don't like permanent mods, they need to look factory but be totally reversible. That same idea will carry over to the insight.

The wheel covers needed a slight dome shape to fit the wheels best, pizza pans were the easiest and cheapest way to get the material/shape. I bought a set of 4 at Walmart for a few dollars each, trimmed them down to fit the wheels better then paint matched the same as the mirror.

The car also has an engine kill switch, android head unit with obdlink sx for monitoring engine parameters and instant fuel econ/load, power steer delete, wiper delete, alt only belt for the months that don't need ac. In addition to this I run high tire press and keep up with all the maintenance items to keep my average around 53 for my hilly highway commute here in CA.

The civic taught me a lot about hypermiling. I'll be applying it all to the insight of course but I think there will be a big learning curve as I adapt to the IMA system and all the mods I have planned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Back on the insight, the cabin air filter felt was totally toast. I went to lowes and picked up some "sponge window seal" 1/4" thick 3/4" wide 10' long. It's basically just a firm foam. It worked great but a little snug. What probably would've worked better would be their "foam window seal" 1/4" thick 1/2" wide and 17' long. Two layers of that side by side would be closer to the original width and the "foam" isn't as difficult to compress as the "sponge" seal. On the contrary supposedly the sponge lasts longer. If I did it again I'd use three pieces and butt the corners for a better seal than a rounded edge. The adhesive on the foam isn't great, I thought itd be easier and stick better if I wrapped it around the corners. Both ends got a small dab of super glue. Filter was replaced with a Bosch HEPA that I got from rock auto.
Textile Sleeve Wood Gesture Finger
Hand Blue Wood Sleeve Finger

Interior is going back together
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat cover Automotive design

I stuck a small piece of hose cut to length on the shifter to hold the boot up against the shift knob. Worked pretty well. I've been using cristal gx3 plastic restorer on all plastic and vinyl. $4/can at Walmart. Works surprisingly well. I'm always skeptical of those types of things.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
This is probably the most common G1 Insight issue by a country mile. Kudos to you for finding it before you chased the hundreds of different downstream problems that a broken ground strap cable can manifest.
Followed closely by broken engine mounts for sure.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts