Honda Insight Forum banner

My First First Gen... and a deep clean

3K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Biggc1 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been reading these forums for years and hoping to buy a G1 for just as long.

I've been hypermiling and ecomodding since 2017 on my 2001 Civic. I routinely average 53MPG with this car.

As a hypermiler who's never satisfied with "good enough" I've always been fascinated with these little eco cars that Honda put so much engineering into.

In 2018 I attempted to buy one, though the car was rougher than I wanted. So I passed. Years went by, casually looking without much luck. Until a few months ago when I stumbled upon what you could call a "barn find".

I'm a career pilot and own a small flight school based in the bay area of California. I was on a trip one day and stopped into Los Banos, CA for fuel. I've visited this airport before. This time though I noticed a G1 insight under a tree, buried in weeds, in front of an old maintenance facility. I walked over to it, blew some dirt off the window hoping to find a 5MT. Sure enough it was. I left my card on the window with a note that I'd like to buy it.

Sky Tree Asphalt Road surface Gas

After making contact and a couple months trying to coordinate with the seller I became the proud new owner of a Gen 1 insight for $1000. A charger was all it took and the car started right up after sitting outside untouched for 7 years. I was able to drive it onto the trailer.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Just left of the old red Mercedes is where this car sat for near a decade before I was able to save it.

So far its looking like a great builder. I can't find any evidence of accident damage and the body is very straight. I was only able to find one very small door ding. I do intend to repaint, this ding will be an easy fix.

If you've read this far I appreciate the time it took to read my story. This post was intended of course as an ice breaker. I have an extensive mechanical back ground and hope I'll be able to contribute to the community in some meaningful way!

A lot of exciting things have happened since I first started reading these forums and I'm very much looking forward to getting this car setup with @mudder LiBCM and some FoMoCo modules when it's ready. I'm looking forward to the journey!

See less See more
#2 ·
Once home I got started in the engine bay.
Hood Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas

Lots of critters to evict.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Car Automotive design

But cleaning up nicely. New air filter and a fumoto valve ready to go when I get to the oil change.

Green Product Font Rectangle Material property

$30 worth of gift cards, it's already paying itself off!
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

It doesnt look too bad after a quick wash. I'll be slowly shampooing and extracting the interior until it's as clean as I can get it.

#6 ·
Some more before pics...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Tire Automotive tire Light Vehicle
Automotive tire Grey Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt

My seat covers didn't seem to fit right, which I thought was strange. Further investigation shows I actually had two sets if original insight upholstery!

Leg Comfort Grey Thigh Knee

The original upholstery is all in good condition with the exception of the driver seat back. I'll be replacing that cover with one of my spares.

Comfort Grey Bag Car seat Flooring

I set the old cover on the seat for the picture.

#8 ·
Everything is cleaning up great, only a few minor things I'll have to repair.

Automotive tire Luggage and bags Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Pass side carpet had something really gross spilled in it, and a lot of it. No idea what it was, it looks like iodine when it got wet.

Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

All the upholstery/carpet got deep cleaned with lots of water, degreaser and a drill brush. I then sucked most of the water out with a shop vac. Because I used so much water the carpet will have to be lifted for a few days so it can dry out top and bottom. Otherwise the sound deadening will absorb it and likely mildew.

Hood Car Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

A drill brush works wonders

Automotive design Plumbing fixture Tap Art Font

Driver seat back

Cap Sleeve Grey Creative arts Beige

The only dark spots in the pic are shadows. All stains completely removed.

Furniture Comfort Chair Automotive tire Door

Pass seat got similar treatment.

#9 ·
Looks great! Also that's a great find. Any idea why the seller said he parked it? 7 years is a lojg time to just abandon a car.

Unfortunately no amount of cleaning will make the seats more comfortable. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: midwestinsight
#11 ·
IMA light came on so he just parked it there and walked away. Everything else was fine. Honestly I think if he pulled the pack and balanced/grid charged it would've been completely fine. I don't think he put more than 10-20k on it while he owned it.

I haven't driven it enough to know if it has the second gear issue or anything like that. It did try to IMA start when I pulled it off the trailer. Though I can't imagine many of those Nimh cells are salvageable after all this time left stone dead.

#14 ·
The grapevine is no joke! I was thinking I'd do a little looking into the existing pack. Especially since it attempted an ima start after only running a few minutes. I would like to know that the IMA system is in good health and run the original system before installing LiBCM. That makes for difficult trouble shooting when you change things before verifying system function.

I didn't really want to invest in grid chargers and the likes before switching to lithium. Though I'm not sure how much risk I'd be taking just letting the car charge the pack back up. I suppose there's not too much risk of imbalance right now since all the cells are equally dead?

#15 ·
The grapevine is no joke! I was thinking I'd do a little looking into the existing pack. Especially since it attempted an ima start after only running a few minutes. I would like to know that the IMA system is in good health and run the original system before installing LiBCM. That makes for difficult trouble shooting when you change things before verifying system function.

I didn't really want to invest in grid chargers and the likes before switching to lithium. Though I'm not sure how much risk I'd be taking just letting the car charge the pack back up. I suppose there's not too much risk of imbalance right now since all the cells are equally dead?
Idk maybe, but you can build your own grid charger for like, less than 50 bucks.

#16 ·
Greetings from a different part of the aviation sandbox...I'm a mechanic at an airline.

I'm enjoying your progress here! My $1k Insight was parked for over 2 years out in a rural area and nature began to take over. Critters....yeah. :/
My pack was easily resuscitated on the drive from Hood River, OR to just north of Seattle. Hit lots of traffic. Car had been parked due to a bad ISB.

Would like to see another pic of your 7g civic...I like the wheel fairings and mirror delete!

#17 ·
Greetings from a different part of the aviation sandbox...I'm a mechanic at an airline.

I'm enjoying your progress here! My $1k Insight was parked for over 2 years out in a rural area and nature began to take over. Critters....yeah. :/
My pack was easily resuscitated on the drive from Hood River, OR to just north of Seattle. Hit lots of traffic. Car had been parked due to a bad ISB.

Would like to see another pic of your 7g civic...I like the wheel fairings and mirror delete!
I heard Irish spring soap really keeps the mice away.

Reactions: DW_CT9A
#20 ·
See post #7 about the $50 Grid Charger

#24 ·
See post #7 about the $50 Grid Charger
Awesome, thank you!

#26 ·
Unsure if this is a common issue or not but it would be an easy one to miss. Found a broken ground/bonding strap. This is the upper ground next to the airbox. Pictures came after I had slid the wires out of the old ring lug. This was a lot less obvious when they were still inserted in the terminal.
Automotive tire Gas Cable Electrical wiring Engineering

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior

My dad and I were able to make a new one relatively quickly. Just some scrap 6 gauge wire and a couple ring lugs. I dont suppose this is technically the correct high strand count wire, I can't imagine it matters much though. This is what we had on hand.
Tool Wood Bicycle fork Fashion accessory Metal

#27 ·
Unsure if this is a common issue or not but it would be an easy one to miss. Found a broken ground/bonding strap. This is the upper ground next to the airbox.
This is probably the most common G1 Insight issue by a country mile. Kudos to you for finding it before you chased the hundreds of different downstream problems that a broken ground strap cable can manifest.

#30 ·
Back on the insight, the cabin air filter felt was totally toast. I went to lowes and picked up some "sponge window seal" 1/4" thick 3/4" wide 10' long. It's basically just a firm foam. It worked great but a little snug. What probably would've worked better would be their "foam window seal" 1/4" thick 1/2" wide and 17' long. Two layers of that side by side would be closer to the original width and the "foam" isn't as difficult to compress as the "sponge" seal. On the contrary supposedly the sponge lasts longer. If I did it again I'd use three pieces and butt the corners for a better seal than a rounded edge. The adhesive on the foam isn't great, I thought itd be easier and stick better if I wrapped it around the corners. Both ends got a small dab of super glue. Filter was replaced with a Bosch HEPA that I got from rock auto.
Textile Sleeve Wood Gesture Finger
Hand Blue Wood Sleeve Finger

Interior is going back together
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat cover Automotive design

I stuck a small piece of hose cut to length on the shifter to hold the boot up against the shift knob. Worked pretty well. I've been using cristal gx3 plastic restorer on all plastic and vinyl. $4/can at Walmart. Works surprisingly well. I'm always skeptical of those types of things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.