Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HiHi everyone

My insight base lx 2010 is the first hybrid I've ever owned, bought it back on April 24. I have to say for my second car I love it more than my last car ('95 Honda Accord). As for mileage I get between 30 - 75 mpg (35 - 70 mph) depending on how I drive, average till my half tank on 89 octane (personally I hate octane 87) I drive around almost to 280 miles per half tank, so about 6 gallons as everyone says. I'm finding myself filling up every the days instead of probably 5 or 6 days. Even though it's my first time owning a hybrid, I've compared it to a Camry Hybrid 2014 (I think) and I see it matches it very well if not exceeds their mileage.

I'm finding ways to save more gas, probably modifying the computer or sending it to the dealer for a firmware upgrade if they have one. Should I put a different octane rating? The highest in Miami, Florida I've come across was 93 octane. Would it make a difference from the 89 I'm currently putting in?

And what would be your method of making the car better on mileage? I was used to racing so I got over performance after getting my insight so I'm doing a big leap down.

Thanks

·
Registered
831 Posts
Insight's definitely not a bad car for most transportation demands. If you and traffic can tolerate easy going, the car will exceed MPG ratings that are on the sticker by quite a bit. I don't get below 51-54 calculated MPG in summer and usually even better, but that said, I live in a rural area with gentle short hills for the most part. Speed limits are generally between 35 and 55 mph.

I use the car for errands and getting to the starting point of a bike rides and the like. My work commute was only 12 miles, all back roads, so absolutely no mad rush, and 4 to 5 stop signs depending on the route chosen. Several were available.

Really concentrating on Hypermiling this car, you can get well into the mid to upper 50 MPG range fairly easily. But you can only do that if you don't have mad traffic around you, as is the case in so many cities.

Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires will help a lot. Tire pressure 39psi front and 37 psi rear helps. Normal 89 octane works fine with this car's engine under most conditions. Keeping to the Oil change interval, using the proper Honda recommended oil type and viscosity, changing the CVT oil every other oil change or so, not letting the air intake filter get too dirty before changing and making sure you keep the car as light as possible will help you get better MPGs.

If you're in traffic, paying attention to cars well ahead of you and anticipating slowing and accelerations will definitely allow smoother driving technique and less fuel usage. I do like the way this car handles, and rides. It's a good simple Honda product that still has good room inside a compact aero exterior.

My wife drives a 2011 Prius Hatchback, and I consistently get 1-4 MPGs better in my Insight than she does in her Prius. Her running average was usually 51-53 during the Spring-Summer-Fall seasons, but now she has switched to some pretty fancy 17 inch Toyota alloys with a very nice Pirelli tire, so we will see how she does. Love the look and ride quality, but I think the really stellar MPGs are going to be hard to come by.

We are in Florida right now visiting family, and I was only getting around 51-52 mpg in the Prius, with a heavy traveling load. Will see if I can approach the near 60 mpg readings that I pulled off the last couple of years while we were here visiting folks. Flatter terrain really helps. It's been pretty warm so far. This is our second week down here and we're seeing daytime highs frequently reach the lower to mid 90s already. Unreal heat, this time of year. Hearing lots of complaining from the natives, so it's gotta be bad.

Give us a heads up on how you're progressing with you hybrid. It's a learning experience for all of us.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My wife drives the Insight mostly, the last time I drove it it seemed to be getting about 42 MPG in Los Angeles traffic, on freeways doing 70-80 MPH with the A/C blasting. To me this fine for a hatchback (that she has filled most of the time). We keep up with the maintenance, including overdoing the CVT fluid changes and the tires are kept up around 38-40 lbs. Like Forsight says, if you have mild weather and can keep the A/C off and pay attention to how you are driving over 50 is possible. But keep in mind when reading around here: we have folks reporting from other countries that use different fuel measurements and first generation folks who get confused and post in the 2nd generation areas. They can report MPG numbers that cannot be obtained. Or if they can, would require hypermiling techniques that I consider crazy (and sometimes irresponsible) in heavy traffic. That said, it is amazing how well you can do by just paying attention to traffic and taking your foot off the gas whenever possible. No matter what I'm driving I am surrounded by folks speeding up to red lights.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My wife drives the Insight mostly, the last time I drove it it seemed to be getting about 42 MPG in Los Angeles traffic, on freeways doing 70-80 MPH with the A/C blasting. To me this fine for a hatchback (that she has filled most of the time). We keep up with the maintenance, including overdoing the CVT fluid changes and the tires are kept up around 38-40 lbs. Like Forsight says, if you have mild weather and can keep the A/C off and pay attention to how you are driving over 50 is possible. But keep in mind when reading around here: we have folks reporting from other countries that use different fuel measurements and first generation folks who get confused and post in the 2nd generation areas. They can report MPG numbers that cannot be obtained. Or if they can, would require hypermiling techniques that I consider crazy (and sometimes irresponsible) in heavy traffic. That said, it is amazing how well you can do by just paying attention to traffic and taking your foot off the gas whenever possible. No matter what I'm driving I am surrounded by folks speeding up to red lights.
I'd report slightly less in London rush hour traffic:

lowest in winter was 38 imperial MPG
Best in Summer is 45 imperial MPG (perhaps slightly higher sometimes)

That would indicate a range of 31.8 - 37.6 US MPG - though this is with ECO mode off for reasons I have detailed in other posts.

Lower winter ambient temperature, therefore more use of heating, and more seasonal variation in general than LA.

The rush hour is pretty painful, ave speed about 9mph, and no possibility of driving in a eco-fashion.

That said, my wife is not the archetypal hyper-miler! I get about 5-7 ore mpg when I run the car.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Here in central Florida at the moment, driving is a major race for most from stoplight to stoplight. Don't understand the method, since it doesn't get you any farther or any faster than easing on the throttle and easing off to the next red light. What really amazes me is the amount of time that is spent idling at these long red light pauses. The gasoline used going zero miles per hour has to be significant.

Prius handles this type of traffic situation a little better, even with temperatures in the 90-95 degree range, it sits at these long red lights with engine off and A/C on due to its bigger traction battery. The Insight can't do AutoStop for as long in this kind of scenario, but can still achieve way better MPGs than most other cars.

I'm also driving relatives cars for errands and such at times, these are V8 and V6 engined vehicles. Doing my best hypermiling imitation in these cars, I can only achieve between 18 and 27 mpg on their dash displays under these Florida driving conditions. I filled up the V8 powered car last week, and at fairly "low" $2.51 for Premium gas, it took $60.63 to fill!!!!

All I can say is Yikes! Glad I can get by with Insight and Prius for daily driving.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ha! You should come and live in the UK. The Insight costs nearly that much to fill up here. The Prius's slightly larger fuel tank means it costs more. Consequently V6s are rare (unless it's the diesel version) and V8s are like hens' teeth.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
All I can say is I have 3 cars. A 2010 Insight, 2008 Odyssey and a 1995 suzuki sidekick ljx 4wd. The daily grind results in the following MPG Insight 48, Odyssey 24-28 Sidekick 21-27mpg. I believe the difference for the non hybrid is the fact they idle in traffic where as the Insight autostops. Sometimes I get stop n go traffic, other times crawling slow speed traffic.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Drove in Europe 1974-1979. Even back then gas prices were a lot higher than here in the States. I took a Honda Civic CVCC hatchback over to the other side of the "Pond" and it was very gasoline frugal at around 42 to 45 mpg. Turned out to be a perfect car for driving around over there.

Look up the price per liter in Europe, and just quadruple it to approximate the price of a gallon! Expensive. Very expensive.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ha! You should come and live in the UK. The Insight costs nearly that much to fill up here. The Prius's slightly larger fuel tank means it costs more. Consequently V6s are rare (unless it's the diesel version) and V8s are like hens' teeth.
Driving around London, V8 SUVs are not uncommon at all. Lots and lots and lots of generic black Range Rover V8s, and V8 diesels. If anything, I would say that numbers may have increased - but at the average income threshold, people have downsized - reflective of income distribution over the last 15 years or so. So you end up with this mix of city cars and SUVs - less of the mid-range stuff; it has polarised. Also, public transport is now so good, and parking so bad, that cars are far less of a priority than they were about 10 years ago.

When I drive around the country, it is less polarised, but there are less city cars obviously.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Drove in Europe 1974-1979. Even back then gas prices were a lot higher than here in the States. I took a Honda Civic CVCC hatchback over to the other side of the "Pond" and it was very gasoline frugal at around 42 to 45 mpg. Turned out to be a perfect car for driving around over there.

Look up the price per liter in Europe, and just quadruple it to approximate the price of a gallon! Expensive. Very expensive.
I'll do the calculation for you:

£1.15 per litre
3.79 litres per US gallon
£1 = $1.55

= $6.76 per US gallon
= $8.09 per Imperial gallon

Why? 66% of the pump price is tax, so the fuel component would only be one third of that figure. That's the only reason.

My I2 costs about £35 to fill / $54.25. And this represents very low running costs compared to the average.

However, it must be put in to perspective, The British likely do significantly less annual mileage on average than the Americans - and you have to pay for social security and free healthcare somehow.

The other way to look at it is that the most significant cost of car ownership is depreciation, not fuel - and the annualised difference in the fuel component of running something like an I2 in the UK Vs US is not going to make a hugely noticeable difference I don't think. Yes if you drive a V8, but no one actually needs them anymore - give it 10 years and anyone who wants a full EV will already have one.

If the weather was even slightly reliable here, I would get rid of my cars and rely on the wife's I2 and my bike; since it rains all the time I feel i need the contingency, so I have a few good rust experiments in the drive, and the I2.

One thing I get surprised at in the US whenever I go are the prices of groceries - not cheap at all.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Fuel taxes are relatively low here in the States. Much of it goes for road maintenance... and it shows. Northern states take a beating during the Winter months, so some of their roads end up pretty sad. I'm more familiar with Maine. You can damage suspension and tires pretty easily if you're not paying attention to imperfections on some of our secondary roads. No one seems to want to pay for road work much anymore, so it just becomes a rough patchwork of patches.

Is the answer for urban driving an electric vehicle? I'm hoping the EV range of the soon to be Chevy Bolt (not Volt) will not disappoint. A reasonably roomy hatch concept that debuted at the North American International Car Show with "200 mile" anticipated range would be pretty good.

YouTube has the Bolt debut video. Production is slated to start soon, so imagine what we see is pretty close to what will come out of the factory. Can always hope pricing doesn't go up too much from the estimated $30K. That's steep, but still slightly under the current average price of $31, 252 for a new car.

Hard to believe that's average! In the long run, if the car is made with decent quality, and proves to be economical to run, it might fill a big niche. It really depends on the final specs once the Bolt's actually available at dealer's showrooms.

How's the cost of electricity over on the other side of the "Pond"?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think gas is about 8p (11c) per KWH, and electricity is about 12-14p per KWH (18 -20c) KWH.

Gas and electricity are not taxed the same way as fuel, thus would be more similar aligned. It's only liquid fossil fuels for road use that carry the high tax.

For instance my 3 bedroom house works about £75 ($105) per month for both gas and electricity.

The Leaf is advertised to cost about $2 to charge up here... wonder how that compares.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts