Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on a 400mi road trip tomorrow, i didn't know if i should stay in "ECON mode" the whole time, or if it is better to be in the regular mode while on long distances on the highway?

also any other tip or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Depends on the road conditions, safety, desire to maintain speed with traffic..

hilly terrain is going to drop your speed over distance, so you may have more than your fair share of angry tailgaters........

OTOH, if the land is flat for most of the way, stay in ECON :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in South TX and am driving to SA the land is almost completely flat lol

so i guess your saying econ mode gets better mpg on the highway too

i was thinking that the regular mode would at higher speeds or something...

·
Registered
596 Posts
As I understand it, the ECON mode optimizes for conditions........so, flat and boring should achieve excellent results, barring the odd wind storm and irritated SUV pusher :)

Keep in mind, even at this, the car's speed will vary 1-2 MPH over the miles......

·
Registered
210 Posts
AC is stronger when not in econ mode, too.

Overall, I'm finding highway driving to be sort of draining on my little I2. I went from 49.7 mpg the first 80 miles of this fill-up down to 46.5 mpg after about 40 miles of highway driving - if it's anything other than flat, the tiny ICE really has to push itself to keep 70mph.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I havent noticed any significant difference in ECON on or off when driving interstate. Other than on having less ondemand power to get around someone quick (i.e. someone even slower than me in right lane and speed racers in the left lane).

The big diff to me in terms of ECON is in town. I run with ECON off for the first few miles after leaving work because the heat is unbearable. I cant deal with the sweltering heat during the first few long lights at the start of my commute home.

I have driven I35 from Dallas to San Antonio quite a bit over the years (not in a hybrid though). The low rolling terrain (there are ever-so subtle hills) might be hard on the battery pack... like running out of steam on the uphill because the downhill didn't give a chance for the regen to charge enough. I get into a similar situation around central Arkansas... short choppy hills without a steep enough down slope to coast at speed before burning battery out on the hill.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try just a little slower (60-65mph) and you'll be amazed how many more mpg's you'll get :)
True, but when the speed limit is 65 or 70 that's not going to happen. I prefer to drive with the average speed of the traffic and certainly never under the speed limit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts