Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought people may like to see how I make these, as I have now finished the first half of my last batch of 20 chargers. Six are already spoken for. I'll post a schematic shortly but you can see from the pics how they are made.

They are all hand made my me personally and tested before despatch on a real IMA battery, price is £200 postage paid worldwide in case anyone wants one. I'm confident enough in the design and assembly now to give a 2 year RTB warranty. You return faulty charger to me, I send you another simple as that. This warranty also now applies to the chargers I have already supplied ;) so that's good news for the 10+ current owners as well.

Parts for 10 chargers on bench ready for assembly.

www.solarvan.co.uk/insight/Charger001.jpg

Charger power supplies fitted into ABS case.

www.solarvan.co.uk/insight/Charger002.jpg

Parts for the charging leads and vehicle socket/connections. note the diodes at the battery connection points to prevent power travelling back from the IMA battery to the socket.

www.solarvan.co.uk/insight/Charger003.jpg

The voltage indicator circuit. This is attached across the output of the 48v constant current power supply and illuminates when the voltage of the supply rises above 43v. It is on when the charger is turned on but not plugged into a battery as the supply is unloaded and rises to it's full 48v output voltage. It is off during the main charging phase as the battery pulls the supply voltage below the led trigger threshold. It comes on as charging nears then end as battery voltage rises. It's basically a 43v zener diode, 330R resiistor and led in series. The led only lights when voltage rises above zener conduction point.

www.solarvan.co.uk/insight/Charger004.jpg
www.solarvan.co.uk/insight/Charger005.jpg

Inside a completed charger. The power cables are knotted inside the case and hot glued to prevent them being pulled out. The cable joints are all soldered and heat shrinked. There is plenty of room inside the case for ambient cooling which is one of the reasons I choose a decent size case to give some surface area.

www.solarvan.co.uk/insight/Charger006.jpg

Packed ready to go with label and charge socket bundle.

www.solarvan.co.uk/insight/Charger007.jpg

The specs are universal AC input 100-250v, Output DC 173-175v 350ma CC. Good effciency as well around 80% or so.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I thought people may like to see how I make these, as I have now finished the first half of my last batch of 20 chargers. Six are already spoken for.
Looks good! I look forward to receiving mine soon. I suggest that others consider buying one as well. This is cheap insurance for our rather pricey batteries.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I thought people may like to see how I make these, as I have now finished the first half of my last batch of 20 chargers. Six are already spoken for. I'll post a schematic shortly but you can see from the pics how they are made.
These look GREAT!
What's the installation in the car like?
Where does the connector on the car end up?
Do you usually put the box in the car and run the AC line into the car?

Thanks,
-Mike

·
Administrator
11,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Hi, I was wondering, there is no auto-turn off right? only a indicator LED. How hard would it be to add an auto-stop charging after its full? Or would I have to check the status of the LED to know when to turn it off.

thanks

·
Administrator
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct no auto turn off. I've no idea how hard it would be to add one, these are my last 20 chargers I won't be making any more, they are too time consuming. You could use a plug in timer anyway and just set it to turn the charger off after 12-16hrs The led is just a comforting something is happening indicator :) and can go off/dim when the cells are really full as they dip in voltage slightly when full.

·
Administrator
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
672 Posts
These look amazing. I wish that I had the money to buy one! :(

It looks like (as far as the wiring is concerned), it's not extremely complicated to put together. Since you won't be making them anymore, do you plan on posting information on how to assemble one of these oneself, or is this information already available?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
80 Posts
These look amazing. I wish that I had the money to buy one! :(

It looks like (as far as the wiring is concerned), it's not extremely complicated to put together. Since you won't be making them anymore, do you plan on posting information on how to assemble one of these oneself, or is this information already available?

Thanks so much!
I make mine after reading this:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/14496-grid-charger-balancer.html

·
Administrator
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last Four of my grid chargers now available for UK/European/Japanese owners.

If you want one in the US then please contact Ron at hybrid battery repair who has a small stock of them.

This is the final batch!!

I am stopping making them as they take up too much of my Insight R&D time.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I will be building a single stage grid charger for simply topping off the pack @ 350MA,
and dual stage for overnight grid charging mini PHEV charger that will charge at 1A and cut back to 350MA after the SOC gets to about 90%.
Have not set the price yet as I need to get some aluminum chassis built, and have not got the pricing yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whohoo I received my Grid Charger today from retepsnikrep

Now I have it, I wonder where to install it. Should I install the whole thing in the car and have a mains power plug somewhere or leave the charger outside the car. How regularly would it be plugged in.

I am sure I saw a post on here somewhere with all the instructions but I can't find it back.
Are there any installation suggestions?

·
Administrator
11,167 Posts

·
Administrator
11,167 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Down to my last two left if you want one before they are gone ;)
Tis a shame Peter that you wont be making more. They really helped my old Insight out. Would you not just charge a bit more to make it worth your while? They really give it a new lease of life for cars with failing packs and I'm sure it would be good preventitive maintenance for those who have packs that are working fine.

·
Administrator
11,167 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts