Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Honda Insight has developed a severe case of herky-jerky.

I am at 130K. The herky-jerky began in January after I took at 1,800 drive to CA. I have changed the air filter and spark plugs, but the problem remains.

My next course of action is an EGR valve cleaning and to replace the fuel filter (perhaps I get bad gas in the dinky towns I stopped in while on my long drive).

Am I on the right track here? Can I have my local mechanic change the fuel filter or does it require a trip to the Honda dealership? Also, does anyone know where I can order the fuel filter and/or what the part number is?

·
Registered
790 Posts
What's herky jerky? Poor fuel delivery? Could be the injectors or fuel pump.

I'd initially suspect the air filter because I've had air filters so clogged the engine would refuse to remain running. But, you changed that already.

I'd throw some Seafoam into the gas tank to clean the injectors and see if it didn't go away. Worst case you're out 5 or 6 bucks for a can of the stuff, and it's pretty safe it won't go ripping apart seals and such (certain STP products come to mind.) Pretty low mileage for the fuel pump it to start going out, though.

Not a recommendation, just what I would do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You'll need to be a bit more descriptive about the problem. When the car acts "herky jerky," what's it do? When does it do it? During acceleration? While cruising? While stopping? All the time? Would you describe it as rough rocking/shaking sensation? Does the car make any unusual sounds? Is the MIL on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By "herky-jerky" I mean to say - the engine hesitates when trying to accelerate, stumbling. The car is increasingly dependent on assist to boost power to the gasoline engine. I used to pretty consistently have a full battery. Since January, it's hard to keep it at half. This bucking is a consistent problem; not intermittent. No codes or lights on. The IMA battery was replaced at 80K.

My mpg has also dropped to 46 or 47 (car lifetime mpg is 56.5).

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sure sounds like you have the same problem I have been dealing with. Last night I cleaned my EGR plate and my problem is almost completely gone. I only have 70k miles but my EGR plate was heavily clogged with carbon deposits. I may replace my EGR valve for good measure as well.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a rather mild case of the herky-jerkey so I did the EGR plate clean, and soaked the EGR valve with WD-40 overnight. In my case the EGR plate was about half-way clogged, which explains the "mild".

In any case the herkey jerkey is gone. I think I spent about a half-hour taking the thing apart and another half-hour putting it back together.

Before you start, I would make sure you have:

Replacement EGR valve gasket
Replacement EGR plate gasket
Replacement Intake manifold gaskets (3) (optional)
Swivel adapter for your socket set (to reach 2 underneath bolts)
Can of WD-40

That's about it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
IIn any case the herkey jerkey is gone. I think I spent about a half-hour taking the thing apart and another half-hour putting it back together.

Can of WD-40

That's about it.
Very helpful. Other than the two underneath bolts, is the rest pretty straightforward ( a 5 on a 1-10 scale)?

Happen to have the torque spec on the intake manifold bolts?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Can of WD-40

That's about it.
Thank you. I'm a newbie to maintaining my Insight. Where can I purchase these items? Online? Would Advance Auto carry them?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Buy the oem parts at majestichonda.com. Also there is a detailed guide with pics on what to do. Do a search in this forum for "egr plate cleaning with pics" and you will see it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Very helpful. Other than the two underneath bolts, is the rest pretty straightforward ( a 5 on a 1-10 scale)?

Happen to have the torque spec on the intake manifold bolts?

Regards,
Jerry
It's pretty straightforward. I won't duplicate the how-to, it's been covered before as DSPickle says. I just tightened the bolts in a criss-cross pattern to "about right" but there is a torque spec somewhere.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Replacement Intake manifold gaskets (3)
Okay. I give up. Looking at hondaautomotiveparts.com, under which category can I find these items? Help? A link please.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Spool valve (EGR valve)

The EGR valve and its gasket are listed under the main directory as a "Spool valve".

For the EGR plate gaskets look under main heading "Intake Manifold", number 10 and 13.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The EGR valve and its gasket are listed under the main directory as a "Spool valve".

For the EGR plate gaskets look under main heading "Intake Manifold", number 10 and 13.
Thank you.

So I'm ordering:

18715-PB2-000 006 001 GASKET, EGR VALVE (ISHINO GASKET) 6.23 4.36

17106-PHM-006 010 003 GASKET, IN. MANIFOLD 6.02 4.21
17146-PHM-004 013 001 GASKET, EGR SPACER 22.25 15.58

Also, do you think it's worth my time/money to purchase the fuel filter right now as a possible fix to my lean-burn herky-jerkiness. If so, what is the individual part for the fuel filter?

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts