Discussion Starter #1
I have done:
1. Replace all 8 spark plug
2. Change transmission oil
3. Change oil filter
4. Change engine oil
5. Change Air cleaner
6. Change tyres..

Please need advise what else I'm missing out to solve my fuel consumption..

·
Administrator
11,145 Posts
How many miles has it done?
Has it suddenly gone bad?
Are the brakes dragging?
Is the IMA charging all the time or more than usual?

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
Are there any engine trouble codes showing on the dash? Could be an engine coolant temperature sensor or other sensors. I think those would light trouble codes.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
Being as how it is a G2, how many MPG is the car swallowing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mileage is 60240 ...
There are no sign appearances on the dashboard...
But I was told to change the fuel filter can that be the problem ????

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I think the fuel filter is inside the gas tank attached to the fuel pump. A very rare issue.
The questions asked are: What is the MPG? "chewing a lot of fuel" is not precise enough.
Re: dash, how is the charge/discharge i.e. the IMA gauge acting?

There have been folks who have brakes dragging. The soloution is to install a stronger return spring. Early on, our 2010 had a single pad drag. Just one pad was almost completely worn in less than 10,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,671 Posts
What kind of tires did you replace with, what air pressures are you running?

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
84% of what?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
You are not very good at answering the questions we have asked. We need definition. Actual numbers.
How is fuel measured in Fiji? Gallons? Imperial gallons? Liters?
Distances are in kilometers?

It is difficult to achieve good fuel consumption numbers on an island. Short trips never get an engine completely warmed up. A hybrid is especially difficult because the battery pack never gets fully charged like it would when driven long distances. This is why I asked about the IMA gauge and what it was showing.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello,
84 degrees Celsius is normal for engine coolant temperature.
Check the tire pressure. Low tire pressure causes more drag. It should be at least 2.4 bar / 34 PSI, but some people (like me) prefer higher pressure (3 bar /40 PSI).
If the brakes drag they heat up the disk brakes. Touch the disk brakes just after a drive. If one is much hotter than the others that one is dragging.

How much fuel do you use actually? How many kilometers or miles between fillups, how much fuel at each fillup?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Use your scanner, and key the car on without the engine running. Watch scanner's live data. Note the MAF sensor reading.

Now start the car. If the unit of measure is G/S, make sure at idle (once it levels off down to normal) that it reads roughly double engine liter size. So around 2.6, give or take 0.5 It may be further away, but it must be at least the liter size in G/s units. so consider 1.3-1.4 the absolute minimum.

If this number is quite high, you likely have some debris in the MAF tube, or sensor is simply dirty. Be sure to use MAF specific cleaner. follow instructions on the cleaner's can TO THE LETTER.

Another thing to test is alignment of the car. Pump the tires up to the maximum rating on the tire (I recommend to avoid going above, tires are designed with a certain safety margin, as pressure goes up quite a bit the hotter a tire gets). Then find a flat road and goose it to the speed limit, and coast along, to see if the car drags to one side or the other noticably. Generally the crown of the road for water evacuation is very minor.

If nothing out of ordinary shows itself, do some low hanging fruit checks, and jack up each corner of the car one at a time, give the wheel a good spin, listen for anything dragging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts