Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the check engine light and check emission system will lit up whenever there's a strong storming coming or just went away... what a nice feature to have IMG_0255.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
So the check engine light and check emission system will lit up whenever there's a strong storming coming or just went away... what a nice feature to have
Need check DTC in Honda Diagnostic System, maybe problem at some sensor.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Been there, done that. Replace your 12V battery.

When the voltage sags several systems produce fault codes. Wind and moisture raise the load on your 12V battery by creating shorts or triggering the alarm to monitor more actively. When the voltage drops to 10.something Volt the systems set error codes.
This happens when one of the 6 cells in the battery loses charge. The other 5 cells are brimmed and prevent the last cell from charging up, so it will stay low and reverse when you draw any current from it.
I'd normally say have your battery voltage checked, buit in this case it is clear enough; get rid of the 12V ASAP!

If you have a charger or another car with starting cables at hand you can verify whether the battery is indeed bad:
- Switch the key to the on position but do not start the car.
- Turn on the lights, rear defog and the radio.
A healthy and fully charged 12V battery could sustain this load for at least an hour.

If the battery is bad the radio will cut and the MID will display several error messages within a couple of minutes.
Switch everything off and wait another minute, then try start the car. It probably will, either with the IMA system or, reluctantly, by the 12V starter motor. If not you do need to recharge the battery from the charger or starter cables.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been there, done that. Replace your 12V battery.

When the voltage sags several systems produce fault codes. Wind and moisture raise the load on your 12V battery by creating shorts or triggering the alarm to monitor more actively. When the voltage drops to 10.something Volt the systems set error codes.
This happens when one of the 6 cells in the battery loses charge. The other 5 cells are brimmed and prevent the last cell from charging up, so it will stay low and reverse when you draw any current from it.
I'd normally say have your battery voltage checked, buit in this case it is clear enough; get rid of the 12V ASAP!

If you have a charger or another car with starting cables at hand you can verify whether the battery is indeed bad:
- Switch the key to the on position but do not start the car.
- Turn on the lights, rear defog and the radio.
A healthy and fully charged 12V battery could sustain this load for at least an hour.

If the battery is bad the radio will cut and the MID will display several error messages within a couple of minutes.
Switch everything off and wait another minute, then try start the car. It probably will, either with the IMA system or, reluctantly, by the 12V starter motor. If not you do need to recharge the battery from the charger or starter cables.

well, I had the battery changed exactly 1 year ago... also, I actually went to do a smoke test last year and there is a small leak comping out above the tank(according to Honda's technician, never get to see it) but they told me it would be totally fine to drive around with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
"a small leak coming out of the tank" is not enough information.
and by the way, batteries go bad. even ones changed last year. Especially in Insights for some reason.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My new 12V battery I got under warranty was hardly any better than the old one. I monitor its voltage and postpone its replacement until I see it drop too fast. But it can hardly keep the radio playing for 5 minutes...

Do a load test like I described, then you'll know. If it is the battery and you ignore it it will leave you stranded somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts