Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now that I have your attention, let me explain:

This was in the heaviest stop-and-crawl traffic I had yet encountered. I moved 2 miles at 29 mpg, but it took about an hour!

I reset the FCD when I firtst came to a stop. In the beginning, I had about 22 mpg. But I quickly decided not to follow the car in front every single time he moved a few feet. That brought my average up to 29. This is where autostop really shines! As much as I was annoyed being stuck, I was glad that I still got better gas mileage than the average car at highway speed!

Autostop saved the day until the SoC recalibrated. That disabeled autostop for a while and made my mpg plummet, even though I turned the ignition off as much as I could.

I would have loved to stay auto-stopped longer, until the car ahead is far enough to allow using second gear, but the other drivers wouldn't tolerate that. Oh well, I bet they got closer to 2.9 mpg!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Stop & Go

I sometimes get stuck in stop & go traffic in DC (95 soughtbound). If this were the majority of my commute I would go for the Prius (Automatic and complete electric at low speeds). Anyway I really hate its effect on MPG not to mention sitting behind a truck with some really dirty exhaust. To keep from comming out of autostop I use the hand barke on areas that I can coast as the cars inch forward. I am always ready to push the regular brake if I see the car behind me closing too fast. It would be nice to wire the hand brake so that when engaged it turns on the brake lights. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you ever figure out a way to wire the handbrake to the brake lights, I'd really like to know... thanks :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
You'll need an Insight ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) for the details. But all you need is a $6.00 relay and a diode from Radio Shack. Simply wire the relay in parallel with the brake switch and energize the relay from the hand brake on signal. The diode will be needed to isolate the alternate ground path for this same circuit that the brake fluid level sensor uses.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's good to know, thanks for the tip. Any personal experience with the procedure?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts