Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just gone mine and I've only been averaging 40mpg also. Everybody said it just has to be broken in and so far I'm coming up on 1000 miles with no apparent change in mpg changing.

I live in South Florida, so instead of cold like you all deal with, I deal with hot and humid weather constantly.

So 5-20 oil is ok since I live in a hot area and cold viscosity means nothign to me? I laugh at batteries and cold cranking amps, it doesn't ever drop below 65 here in South Florida. It's usually 80+. I know there will be rare times when I'm up north with it, but in general this car will never leave the heat.

Is this heat the reason I get poor gas mileage? Or do I need to wait another 1000 or 2000 miles before it's oficially broken in and it magically gets better gas mileage? Nothings been done to the tires or oil and I kept the pressure in the tires what it says on the door. I've seen discussions on it but haven't looked into it, I just stick to factory specs.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
glitch, if you check the Yahoo! forums I think you'll find people with CVTs started reporting significant gains in mpg after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mr. Wayland also suggested I inflate the tires to like 45 or something. So I'm going to look into that. I also noticed that the A.C does kill mpg, and since it's Florida I don't turn off my A.C to much. Going to try keeping it off whenever possible and not get used to leaving it on, maybe that'll help a little. I'm coming up on 1500 miles, so I'll report at 3000 if it got much better. Mr. Wayland just didn't think that engine break in can account for a 17 mpg increase, it'll help a little but not that drastically.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Great Mileage Possible!

Apply brakes as little as possible.
Promote 45 mph highway driving.
Remove the windshield wipers.
Install a small spoiler in front.
Look into high-test (premium) gas.

Fill tires with 85 pounds of pressure.
Only drive behind semis.
Ocassionally, use sewing machine oil.
Leave passenger and cargo behind.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I thought u were serious up to the premium gas point. I was like Remove windshield wipers? And then the spoiler was pushing it a lil more. hehe.

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,174 Posts
while we are on the subject of MPH on new cars, I'll state my concerns.
When I drove away with my new Insight a few weeks ago, the car
only had 6 miles, and probably a gallon of gasoline.
The lifetime MPH was set on 15, and has been slowing working its way up
from there.
I used my trip to get a more accurate MPH, and there is currently a 10 MPH difference, with less than 1000 miles.
(lifetime 50, trip -=almost 1000 miles=- 60)
This doesn't add up to me at all!
I wonder if Honda let my car idle through a tank of gas, just to give me a poor start!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You read that right

Yeah, Glitch, I figured I couldn't get too far with someone as sharp as you, but surely SOMEone would have commented on my great hints. My favorite is the eighth one, I know I can get super mileage using cheap sewing machine oil instead of that nasty, expensive ol' Honda 0-30w... even though it might smoke a little bit...

"Apply brakes as little as possible.
Promote 45 mph highway driving.
Remove the windshield wipers.
Install a small spoiler in front.
Look into high-test (premium) gas.

Fill tires with 85 pounds of pressure.
Only drive behind semis.
Ocassionally, use sewing machine oil.
Leave passenger and cargo behind."

·
Registered
32 Posts
pump up your tires - results

i just posted this on the "CVT with a smile" thread. seemed relevant here as well. so i'll double-post with apologies....

putting max pressure in the tires has been mentioned in other MPG discussions. so i finally did it. the dealer had them at about 30#, i put 44/42 in them. not quite bold enough to do the 50# recommended in those other discussions. anyway, my MPG jumped from the 48 range to the 53 range. i have an '02 CVT with about 1,500 miles. i drive 70 on the highway and about 70% of my miles are highway. tire noise increased somewhat with the added pressure. we need to get back to that sound proofing discussion....

btw, is is a generic problem that the tires lose pressure. this always happens in bike tires that, of course, have higher pressures. but i notice that my insight tires lose 2-4# a week if they are pumped to 44#. is this normal? it could make sense. in a 'normal' car tire with only 24# pressure, there is a lot lower differential to ambient pressure (14#) so they would lose air a lot slower. or is something wrong with my insight's tires?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Ron - I also lose 2 plus PSI a week. From looking at previous threads I think is normal.

Urchent - Oil & IMA? Hmmmm.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
mileage

I drove my car in very flat conditions with exterme winter temperatures for two years and averaged very well. In the summers I ALWAYS got at least 63 mpg and the winter 57 with average highway speeds of 65-70. The best trip I had was 1340 round trip and I averaged 72 mpg.

I found that when I accelerated as fast as I could up to cruising speed on the highway, I got better mileage overall. I believe it gets the car out of the high fule-consumption range quicker.

I've moved to a very hilly location with even more extreme winter conditions about 9 months ago. My commute has stayed almost exactly the same distance. My milage is dismal. The summer average was down to 55 and I've been getting under 50 all winter.

The car just had it's 60,000 tune up, including a flush and change of the transmission fluid but it hasn't seemed to affect the fule mileage like I'd hoped.

The only explanation I've come up with is the change in terrain and the extra dip in the temperatures. At my old location it got to 0 degrees F frequently, and the car didn't like it one bit. In the me location, the temp runs -20 to -30 for a week or more before it warms up again to 0.

Surprizingly, the car has started even at -35 f. That day was quite hard on it though. I blew the seal between the tire and wheel rim while exiting the driveway. Not nice weather to change a tire. No damage to the tire, though, just needed to be put back on the rim and filled up.

G

·
Hi Ecopod:

___I bust my tail to get decent mileage in -10 to + 20 degree F temperatures through much of January and February and beating EPA estimates by even 10% on a continuous basis is extremely tough to do. If I was traveling in - 20 to - 35 degrees F temperatures or less, I think I would just give up and by an H2 ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3dt7i8wy][email protected][/email:3dt7i8wy]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Honda service manual specifies: SG,SH,SJ oil viscosity 0W20, 0W30, 5W30 synthetic or refined. (Check 3-2, Lubricants and Fluids) 5W30 is only recomended above -25C. 0W20 gives the best mileage. 0W30 better protection.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi Ecopod,

I think that you are right about the temp being the culprit. I personnaly think that Honda did the fuel programmation a little over board when the temps are low.

Every spring, I see a great improuvement in MPG as temps go above freezing (we received 2 inches of snow this Monday, yeurk!)

Bet you where surprized when the 12V starter kicked in to start the engine.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.