Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:
Last night somebody smashed my passenger window and tried to steal my $200 radio !
Result: dashboard replacement and maybe arround $2000 damage!!
My car was locked in my garage and they broke in, 4 other cars where also "done".
As everybody already knows, the radio in the Insight is bolted on the dashboard frame what was the only way to get my radio in.
So this guy was so mad he couldn't get my radio out, he used a large screwdriver to get as much damage as possible to make from my rectangular radio a squared one. I am so mad :evil: and pissed off :evil:
Does anybody know what is the waiting time for a new dashboard ?
Is anyone who had this before ? I have pictures but I don't know how to post it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ouch man that sucks! There was someone else on here before that had something similar happen and they ended up having to replace the main dash and the trim piece below the radio.

I'd imagine this would be a special order from Japan unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Wouldn't some of the auto recyclers that are selling used battery packs be likely to have a dashboard as well? Seems like there would be some used ones and a limited market.

Just a thought.

Jim

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmm, sounds interesting......the waiting time for a new one from Japan might take several weeks/2months :?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Do I recall correctly that you have the only Insight in the Netherlands? Do you have an equivalent to the following over there?

http://www.haprecycling.com/

Looks like they have 3 insights with dashboards intact (except for airbags).

I don't know if they will ship overseas or if it will be faster than new, but it should be cheaper.

Jim

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JTMCO said:
Do I recall correctly that you have the only Insight in the Netherlands? Do you have an equivalent to the following over there?

http://www.haprecycling.com/

Looks like they have 3 insights with dashboards intact (except for airbags).

I don't know if they will ship overseas or if it will be faster than new, but it should be cheaper.

Jim
We do have it but it is not for the Insight because it was never sold here in the Netherlands. I was the only one here but I know that there is an other eco-freak here.
BTW I have a new dashboard from the Main Honda Parts and Distribution Centre for the middle east/africa, UK and Europe.

Thanks for the link, but I am still verry pissed of about the situation :evil:

·
Registered
569 Posts
My questions is, how did you sleep through all the noise they must have made?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bfivelover said:
My questions is, how did you sleep through all the noise they must have made?
My garage is below the house, there are 2 conreet floors between my bedroom and the garage.
Breaking open a car window is done by placing a screwdriver between the window and doorframe and rotate it, the window only cracks without a lot of noise....... :evil: getting mad again!!!.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Don't Get Mad...

Hi Windmill,
Don't know what the restrictions in the Netherlands are for defending your property or their definition of reasonable cause but it sounds like it's time for a silent alarm and a .45. Be careful, don't hurt yourself. Most countries, like the US, do permitt pre-charged air weapons. The Logun S-16S is available thru the states and the UK. Has plenty of foot pounds (60+) and will do the job quite nicely. Use a .22, 20+ grain diablo pellet, round nose. If you havn't done so already check your laws and reasonable cause. Be careful, it's not a toy... Jack

PS Please also note, pre-charged weapons sold inside the UK are limited to 12 ft lbs for rifles. Those exported are not limited.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Don't Get Mad...

Jackmpg said:
Hi Windmill,
Don't know what the restrictions in the Netherlands are for defending your property or their definition of reasonable cause but it sounds like it's time for a silent alarm and a .45. Be careful, don't hurt yourself. Most countries, like the US, do permitt pre-charged air weapons. The Logun S-16S is available thru the states and the UK. Has plenty of foot pounds (60+) and will do the job quite nicely. Use a .22, 20+ grain diablo pellet, round nose. If you havn't done so already check your laws and reasonable cause. Be careful, it's not a toy... Jack
I love your story :wink: and I totally agree with you, but here is it not allowed to own a weapon, even for defending your own property, family,kids and your own life !!. I wish we had a law change about this, so I can buy a nice gun and wait.... 8) .....thanks for the tip and shared toughts !!
Sniper-time !!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Don't Get Mad...

Hi Windmill,

I am very sorry, someone who would damage goods they can not steal is damaged goods. I would not consider them to be among the sentient. Law permitting I would dispatch them with the same loving care I would give, say, to a poor rabid beast. There are alternatives, classes in such as Tai-Zen where people who do not wish to fight learn to deal with those who do. You learn to receive hurt without reaction and how to give it with reaction. If the perpetrator “brought” a weapon with him that could go against him. If you can do a four car garage you may also be able to do a security or guard service. Here in Florida we have a home protection law that allows us to protect ourselves, within acceptable and reasonable limits. You would be welcome here, most states in the US provide for citizens to defend themselves. Best Wishes, Jack

PS Another thought, inexpensive flood lamps with motion detectors, easy to install. Six or so of them would light your garage and surrounding area up like a christmas tree if someone were to enter the area. Just don't point the detectors at something that moves often, like a bush when it's windy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also had a break-in.

Someone got into my car at the Honda dealership while it was being serviced (probably an inside job, considering NO broken window). They stole my in dash tv, hard drive based car mp3 player, and some other stuff.

They ripped the glove box out and ripped out the dash piece under the hvac controls, both were replaced by the dealership, along with a new cig lighter since the cover on the old one was broken. Nice and free!

I managed to get $1100 from the dealership, and bought myself a new in dash dvd player, and put the rest in the bank. All in all, it was a good thing!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I should leave the car just open in the garage like my neighbours. They never had any problems anymore, also by leaving the glove box open and take everything out of the car. I think that the one who wants to steal the car, he will open it and take it. So if it IS open he will take it too !

·
Registered
57 Posts
FYI, I have a spare lower dash piece sitting in my bedroom right now. It's from my insight, so it's used, but there's no damage on it. I don't know why the dealership bought me a new one, but they did. I can take photos of it if you want, and we can work something out. I was going to use it for a custom dash setup, but wouldn't mind selling it for cheap to help someone out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts