Honda Insight Forum banner

My Insight Upgrades

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  NJinsight 
#1 ·
:D Well I have a 2003 Insight CVT and LOVE it. I came from an Ford Expedition and was tired of paying 240 a month in gas..yikes. This is week 4 and only $45...yippee. Hopeing MPG will get higher, still under 45.

I have added some fun stuff......

New Sony MEX5DI Radio..sweet...cool features....will add the XM module next month. It plays CD-R, CDRW. MP3 and regualr CD's

Also added the optional rear speakers. I did replace them all with some Sony Speakers....but bought Hondas to have the fittings. Installed a Sony Xplode 800 Watt 4 Channel AMP. Everything is going great. Put the AMP under the passengar seat.

I did tint the windows......looks great.....and keeps the inside cool.

I also bought the Honda security system upgrade with the glass breakage detector....anyone else have that installed...where does it go?

My big modification was the power sunroof. A webasto 300. It is small, but fits great for the car and works very well!!! Does an Auto-Close when u turn the car off.

Last things to add are my cruise control from Rostra...installed next week...looks factory with the wireless controller clipped to the steering wheel. Also want to add the backup sensors from Rostra for when I have the trunk full so I know what is behind me. (I got spolied with those in the Expedition) and a upgraded rear view mirror (any suggestions?).

I LOVE my car...so glad I got it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like we came from simalar rides I had a 2001 Toyota tundra and poured about 200 down the tank. Can you email me a pic of yer insight I am thinking about tinting my windows and want to see how it looks. My 03 still has the factory tunes but after I get married in may I am planning on a showbox sub and an alpine head unit I dont know what door speakers I want yet though.
Carl

#4 ·
The shoebox subwoofer is a custom product designed and built by Insight owners John Wayland and Geoff Shepherd.

http://www.geoff.shepherd.com/wayland/

I haven't gotten the dough for one myself, but that's what I'd go with as my next Insight stereo upgrade (for now I only have added the Eclipse front speakers).

Looking forward to pictures of that sunroof!

#6 ·
Moon roof

I havent done the pictures yet. I will get some on here once I get the cruise installed and and do leather inside.

I used the Webasto 300 series roof...it is awesome!! I love it.

Cost was about $800. Its makes the car feel roomier inside, its all power and looks factory. It even automatically closes when you turn the car off!!

#13 ·
The shoebox subwoofer is a custom product designed and built by Insight owners John Wayland and Geoff Shepherd.

http://www.geoff.shepherd.com/wayland/
Apears to no longer work I think I would like to get this. I already ripped out the headunit and all 4 speakers with new ones 5-3/4 (diden't want to do the cutting for the 6.5s) any way since i went with smaller speakers i dont have the bass i like sound quality is great but i need some base this sound perfect anyone know where i can get one now?

#14 ·
Wayland did one last run of 10 regular shoe box subwoofers. He announced on the honda hybrids group that he no longer would have the spare time to handle the project. The Super shoe box's have been long gone for several months. Sorry.

#15 ·
Greetings, you must be the other Silver Insight I see in the area. I live in Lake Hiawatha, work in Parsippany and my friend has a silver 2000 as well and he works with me, and lives in Oak Ridge. I did see another silver 2000/2001 in town a while back. Bought my Insight at Honda of Nanuet in NY, but had a 95 accord a few years back from Joyce Honda. Small world!

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.