Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Looks good. You do know that 4100K HID's will output more light right? I'll be curious to see your results with them. I have some BMW Osram Ballasts in mine with Philips 4100K D2S bulbs. I found some position corrected anti glare adapters to let them fit in the H4 housings. I've only ever been flashed at by three other vehicles in the many months I've had them so I'm assuming they're less annoying than all the Escalades out there.

Are those wheels 15's?

One other observation, did you remove your H logo on your hood?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick.

Yeah, I had heard (and found) that the 4k range has the highest lumin output. Something like 4100-4500k being the most.
But the ricer in me likes the bluish light a bit. 8k+ is too much blue/purple, and lumen output is down.
I find 5k-6k a good in-between. Just a good touch of blue, but not too much.

HID's seem to go best with projector headlights. I had to re-aim the reflector headlights lower so as to avoid glare and blinding on-coming traffic. It seems okay, but I haven't had enough time at night with them yet to be sure. Only time will tell.

Yes, they are 15" rims. Fit great.
Maintained the weight too, as these are 11-11.5 lbs each. (I think the stocks are also that, right?)

I removed the front H logo to get that 0.000242235 improved drag coefficient! :lol: j/k!
Just thought it looks cleaner.

I also did a little JDM-ish mod and blacked-out my headlight housings..well actually the housing is gunmetal to match.
http://www.dscr.net/pics/cmb/cmbinsight5.jpg

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looks great!
Which rims and tires are you using?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: So my Insight got tint, rims and HID's [pics]

Could you tell us the dimensions of your wheels & tires?

15x6? offset?
195/50? brand? model?

Thx!

Car looks great! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I went with ROTA C10's (Circuit 10's-10 spoke design)
15 X 6.5
4 x 100 bolt pattern
They are part of ROTA's lightweight racing wheel lineup
11-11.5 lbs each
45 offset (fit perfectly)
I had a test fit on a hoist first to check the rears, then test drives to test during driving/with load on them.
Put a couple hundred km's so far, with some good, hard cornering and no problems so far (no rubbing).

Guillermo: I went with some cheapo high performance all seasons (Kuhmos), since I have a Civic EK which I track with already running R compounds.

cosworth: the tires are Kuhmo 711s 195/50/15 (there are much better tires out there though. Honestly, these are average or just above average at best.)
oh yeah, and I can't forget the gunmetal shift knob which we all know adds at least 5 hp! ;)
http://www.dscr.net/pics/cmb/insightknob.jpg

next up is a replacement 12V battery and then who knows.. :)

oh yeah and props to this site for being an info lifeline to a newbie Insight owner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Were the hid's a drop in replacment for the stock lights? I always think the stock ones are too dim, and aimed a little low.

Never taken apart the headlights, nice job with the gunmetal look though.

How much did the HID's cost you, if you dont mind me asking!

Justin

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
JustinGray said:
I always think the stock ones are too dim, and aimed a little low.
Justin,
Try adjusting the headlamps, just need a philips screw driver to turn an adjusting screw. And headlamps get dimmer with age, new bulbs should be noticeably brighter then 5 year old ones.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
By the way,
Those rims look awesome and the low weight is impressive 8)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Nice. I like the smoked head light's. I'm thinking I might need to point my headlights down a tiny bit more. I got flashed twice last night again. Good find on those wheels also, that's about the stock weight.

Justin, HID's will run you about $300, but once you have them you'll wounder how you ever lived without them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
cmb said:
I removed the front H logo to get that 0.000242235 improved drag coefficient! :lol: j/k!
Did you have any trouble getting the front H emblem off? How did you do it? Mine is cracked, and I have a replacement, but I'm worried about messing up the paint getting the old one off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rslatkin said:
cmb said:
Did you have any trouble getting the front H emblem off? How did you do it? Mine is cracked, and I have a replacement, but I'm worried about messing up the paint getting the old one off.

Thanks!
On a warm day, or use a hair dryer/heat gun, get the logo/sticker backing nice and hot and sticky. Use fish line or thin metal wiring to slice through the sticker portion. Once through, then the emblem just comes off. Use GooGone or some adhesive remover to get rid of the sticker backing left on the car (there is bound to be some).
Then wax the area you worked on, to restore the finish.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I removed the stock speakers, which I must say sounded fair, considering they are totally crap paper fiber-reinforced cones with whizzer cones. I'd rate the factory speakers 2 out of 10 in quality, 3 out of 10 on sound. The stockers also have these miniscule magnets.

Put in JBL 6 1/2 component bass speakers along with a custom install of the tweeters. The 6 1/2" drivers were a bit tricky. The speaker plastic well area where the stockers mounted is too shallow. I used a dremel to cut away the bottom of the tray/housing to fit the much larger magnets of the JBLs. Other than that, it was a direct screw in. Ended up fitting perfect. I kept the cut matched pretty close to the magnet size so as to preserve a proper housing space for the new speakers.

Here's the deck (just a Sony mp3 deck):
http://www.dscr.net/pics/cmb/insightdeck.jpg

Here's the tweeters mounted:
http://www.dscr.net/pics/cmb/insighttweet.jpg

I went with component JBLs which come with a crossover unit for both the 6 1/2" mid/subs, and the tweeters.

Sound is significantly bassier. Mid's are far clearer and awesome sharp highs. The tweeters have an angle adjustment so I aimed them at the drivers'/passenger's heads.

The sound imagery is nearly perfect, along with a little tuning from the deck.

The job took me and my buddy an hour.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
To remove the H logo the safest way is to take some dental floss and wrap two ends around two small sticks or some sort and go back and forth. There are also plastic razor blades available from various auto detailing sources, which you can use to scrape stuff on paint without scratching.

G

·
0 Posts
Talking of ricer........I'm in the process of trying to work out a door mechanism like the kits you can buy for the Civic to give Lamo type door opening!!!!!

I think I'll make my own out of aluminium as the off the shelf items are really heavy.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
As for the emblem removal:
I had been wanting to remove mine for awhile, then one day after driving my commute back home in the rain I checked under the hood_for what I don't remember_and after letting the hood down past the catch, I usually just give a gentle push on the emblem to secure it, but this time it slid around under the force of my hand. I went inside and got some dental floss and finished it off. :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts