Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Insight with 133K miles recently was left parked for about 10 days. When I attempted to start the car it was completely dead...no dash lights, the locks wouldn't work, 100% dead. I figured it was the 12v battery since it was about 4 years since the original was replaced. I jump started it and installed a new battery. The car seemed to be back to normal.

Today marked the end of another period where I left the car parked for more than a few days, about 2 weeks this time. I tried to start the car but the batteries are dead again. At least this time I'm getting some dash lights and the interior lights/power locks worked, but that's about it. I haven't tried to jump start it yet.

With the exception of the two incidents mentioned above, I've never let the car sit for more than 3 days without using it. Both times I parked it the IMA battery had a full or nearly full charge. I didn't leave on any lights either time. I'm wondering if any of my fellow Insight owners know if these cars are prone to going dead when left sittting.

My car has a new 12v battery and the IMA battery pack was replaced for the first time late last year and has only traveled 4K - 5K miles. I've driven my car more than 30K miles over the 3 years I've owned it and other than the IMA going out it's been flawless. I adore this car, it's been such a great performer (my avg mpg since I bought it is 70+). I'm hoping that what it needs is just to be driven more and parked less, but I suspect that the problem is more than just a hybrid quirk. Any information you may have or references you can point me to will be very much appreciated, otherwise it's off to the dealer.

Thanks, Paul

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
No crank (or slow / barely cranking) must be related to the 12v system. Have the battery tested, a parasitic drain test and charging voltage and _current_ (amp) test (in that order progressing as needed).

Something will show else its an intermittant "problem" with one or more of the above 12v system functions. Have an added security system :?: Disconnect it. Have an aftermarket radio :?: Try the same.

But don't forget the main engine ground wire corrosion failures either :!: ;)

http://yves.fungiart.com/pages/cable.htm

At a minimum burnish the eye connector and body metal contact points and cover with a moisture resistant sealant (or upgrade the cables if the corrosion is severe enough). The cable from the B- to body ground at the fire wall isn't shown in the link above. Don't fail to inspect it either :!:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, John, for the helpful advice. I'm glad to learn that this problem isn't chronic with Insights. It never occurred to me that my aftermarket stereo might be drawing power when the car is parked. It has it's own amplifier mounted under the passenger seat and now that you've drawn my attention to it, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the culprit. I'll do some testing and inspect the cables to see if I can isolate the problem.

Thanks again,
Paul

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The parasitic drain at the 12v (key off and removed from the ignition switch, doors closed - Read: All items off) should be less than 50ma. On most Hondas it's typically 1/2 or less of that. _Slightly_ above 50ma and your in the "grey" zone for 12v battery stress fatigue, but such values are rare.

If its your radio / amp you'll likely see 100+ma. Re-circuit its power supplie(s) to a key on source. But if the radio's "memory" B+ feed is the cause of the high drain its an internal failure of the radio.

The battery cable corrosion problems do appear to be "chronic" but limited to high salt locations. Oceanside or snowbelt take your pick. ;)

HTH! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts