Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hit an all time high mpg (for me at least). :D Owned my Insight for almost 2 months now, and it's getting better all the time. Stock 2006 manual Insight, no MIMA. How's your mpg? Should we start a mpg sticky, or is there one somewhere else on the site? It would be nice to see what other owners are getting for real mpg.

LPMG
[moderator added: 58.7 MPG @ 2826 miles]
http://www.cvwaterpolo.org/insight/lmpg.JPG

118 mile trip
[moderator added: 71.9 MPG over 117.8 miles]
http://www.cvwaterpolo.org/insight/high118miles.JPG

59 mile trip - I was actually up to 79.4 mpg when I got off the highway, but 6 miles of back roads dropped it back down to 78.
[moderator added: 78.0 MPG over 58.8 miles]
http://www.cvwaterpolo.org/insight/high58miles.JPG

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well done. Those are some good numbers. It seemed like to took forever for me to get out of the 50's for my car's lmpg.

I'm currently looking like I'm going to hit my first 1000 mile tank! currently at [email protected] miles with 6 bars of gas left. (Admittedly, I cheat a bit because I force an extra 1.5 gallons in when I fill up).

my lmpg is currently at 74.7 @ 3915miles

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Jdpenn:

___It is great to see your excitement and I hope you can keep up the initial excellent FE. You will in fact do much better as the Insight is worth quite a bit more then you could have ever imagined ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like you are off to a great start with your new '06 Insight.

Mine's a year old now, it has about 9000 miles on it.
The lifetime average is holding at 74 MPG.
It will probably drop some, now that winter is settling in.

Last summer my best commute to/from work was 95 MPG for 39 miles.
See: http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/504 ... ommute.JPG

As your Insight "breaks in & loosens up" your mileage should continue to improve.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good job JD! :)

These past 200 miles I've averaged 70.2 MPG, all of it in-town driving with frequent stop lights. It's some of the best city milage yet for me and "Papaya"! :)

Most likely the warmer weather is the main factor.

Something else that b1shmu63 mentioned about the Insight having almost no rolling resistance got me thinking and I've started rolling, rolling, rolling...coasting in 2nd or 3rd gear for as long as safely possible (and the Insight will amaze you with how very far that is)...in the parking garage, from the parkway all the way up the drive way, even downtown if no one is too near. I simply see how far we go without a foot pressing anything.

Tires are at 40 psi. Many get better MPGs going higher, but that's my limit. The only other factors which come to mind are a steady throttle when fuel is finally needed and a "time factor". The more time driving Papaya (18 months now) the greater the comfort level...the subtle stuff.

Keep up the good work. Owning an Insight, I feel like I'm always learning.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good job JD! :)

These past 200 miles I've averaged 70.2 MPG, all of it in-town driving with frequent stop lights. It's some of the best city milage yet for me and "Papaya"! :)

Most likely the warmer weather is the main factor.

Something else that b1shmu63 mentioned about the Insight having almost no rolling resistance got me thinking and I've started rolling, rolling, rolling...coasting in 2nd or 3rd gear for as long as safely possible (and the Insight will amaze you with how very far that is)...in the parking garage, from the parkway all the way up the drive way, even downtown if no one is too near. I simply see how far we go without a foot pressing anything.

Tires are at 40 psi. Many get better MPGs going higher, but that's my limit. The only other factors which come to mind are a steady throttle when fuel is finally needed and a "time factor". The more time driving Papaya (18 months now) the greater the comfort level...the subtle stuff.

Keep up the good work. Owning an Insight, I feel like I'm always learning.
If you're going to try and get as much MPG out of the Insight as is practically possible, I've learned that without question the driving habits of past years in gas guzzlers have to be abandoned and new habits learned.

With in a week after picking up the "Silver Bullet" I to tried coasting (or as some call it, pulse and glide) and whenever and wherever practical and safe to try it, I do use it. This does dramaticlly increase the MPG for a given run.

On this end, once the engine is warm (which seems to take about a mile or so) while keeping an eye on the Current Miles per Gallon guage, I try operating at no more than 2000 RPM. If you want to see your MPG climb, give it a try.

As for your comment regarding driving "papaya" (an excellent nick name by the way) "... I'm always learning.", I agree ... each and every day.

Fred

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sputnik and Fred,
Thanks for the tips. Since my last post, my MPG has been increasing, probably due to the warmer weather as you stated. My current all time high is 83.2 mpg over 56 highway miles. Currently, I am sitting at 62.5 LPMG. Hopefully, over the summer months, I can increase my LPMG.

Thanks and godd luck with you Insights!
John from Central PA, cruising I 81.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Latest Mpg / Litres per 100 KM! (Not an insight!)

To brag - or not to brag - that is the question!

After studying varios information on 'hyper-miling' in this and other forums (read: 'Prius') - I have tried my version of 'Pulse and Glide' to increase the range in my non-hybrid (2005 Chevy Optra Wagon). That means - pop the automatic into neutral (only- no shut off) when I crest a hill!

While my 'Lifetime' FE =
  • 10.2 L/100KM or 23.06 MPG US / 27.69 MPG Imp. (9116 KM, 930 Litres)
My Last tank was on a mostly slow mountain road - Highway 118 from Bracebridge Ontario, to Bancroft, (Stayed the night), then down Hwy 62 to the 401 and (Visted Jerry - Insight Owner) back to Downsview - 535 Kms on 39.997 Litres =
  • 7.1 l/100 km or 33.13 mpg US / 39.79 mpg Imperial
Gas Gage did not even move off the 'full' peg until I had about 270 Kms on the tank on Hwy 62 - S. of Bancroft! (I should have filled the tank then to see how much it 'stores' above the actual full condition!)

While visting Jerry - did a quick 8 km test drive in his Insight - he reset the trip for me - but left it idling - so I started out - with 12 L/100 - then dropped down to ~ 9 - and then to ~ 6 - and finally down to 4.5 L/100 as I got it back to his driveway! Nice! (just a little pop up highway #2 from his place & back)

Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gas Milage

Greets.

I recently purchased a used 2000 Insight with 33K miles (previous owner average 59.9 mpg) I've been reading about a lot of things online about MPG. I've never had so much fun driving. One of my friends said it has a "Video game dashboard".

My best MPG to date is from the junction of I565 and Memorial Parkway in Huntsville AL (about 50 mph when I reset the meter) to my home 7.6 miles away. 105.5 MPG. I did this just after having the 37.5K service done where I asked the dealer to put 5 PSI extra in each tire.

Rush hour traffic moves about 55 mph, but I vary speed based on terrain between 40 and 58 on this trip each day. Huntsville has humps in the road for overpasses, much like parts of Illinois. I regularly average in the high 80's on this trip.

Just thought I'd let someone know, I'm beginning to suffer from dis-belief even though I'm doing the driving. I will say that I am very good at coasting to a stop and timing green lights. The biggest problem I have is that my driving style seems to slowly drain the batteries. During recharge time, I get much worse milage, low 60's.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket product which lets you plug in this car to recharge the batts from home?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
If your disbelieveing your own MPG then this will sound impossible. :p But to help maintain a higher overall SoC (State of Charge, IMA battery level) simply turn on your headlights. And you'll have the added benefit of being more visible too :!:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Green segment junkie

Hello, my name is Arbek and I am a segment junkie. There, I've admitted it. It all started so simply, that green segmented bar with 150 on the right side, it demands my attention. So simple, so thin, yet so powerful. I'm a sucker for video games anyway, I should have known better. Anyway, it started with a single trip, the meter showed 73.1 mpg. I was hooked in an instant. If only I'd known how far my adiction would take me. Lately, I've been seen driving around with my windows up when it's warm outside. And, and, I've been seen coasting up to stop lights, I know, shameful, but, my addiction demands more and more from me as I reach for new highs and more segments. I've even gone as far as to add extra air to my tires in an attempt to keep my segment count up. I've learned new shifting patterns andbecome a slave to the trip meters. I've stooped so low as to drive UNDER the speed limit at times! Everyone around me thinks I'm a lunatic. I even slow down in advance of red lights so that I can coast through them when they change. I've become too lazy to stop and when I have to, I jack rabbit off the line like a race car driver in an attempt to view as many segments as possible as quickly as I can. Once I'm high on the count, I get a thrill from the soft, gentle acceleration and coasting on by. Sure, sure, others pass me with power and speed, but, that dosn't excite me any more. It's all about the segments now and reaching a new high.

My friends and co-workers are concerned, inquiring daily about my new problem. I think some of them are thinking about segmenting now, others are in denial, they can't believe this is happening to someone they know.

Some of you know what I'm talking about, is there any hope? Can anyone help? What comes next? Aftermarket kits? Custom controls? Fuel additives? Where will it stop?

On path of least resistance,

Arbek

·
Registered
36 Posts
Arbek,

The first step to recovery is to recognize that you have a problem. Good for you.

Unfortunately, I don't know that anyone has ever been cured. All indications are that your disease will worsen, and will likely infect your friends and the ones you love most with devastating effects. Sorry, there is just no hope for you now.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: Green segment junkie

'It all started so simply, that green segmented bar with 150 on the right side, it demands my attention."
- Obviously another case of the dreaded GSB syndrome.

"I was hooked in an instant "
- More confirmation as to how addictive these little Insights are.

"I've been seen coasting up to stop lights ... add[ed] extra air to my tires ... learned new shifting patterns andbecome a slave to the trip meters. I've stooped so low as to drive UNDER the speed limit ... I even slow down in advance of red lights so that I can coast through them when they change. "
- Classic syndroms of Insight addiction

"Some of you know what I'm talking about, is there any hope?"
- Of course we know what you're talking about.
- As for hope, fat chance!

"... Where will it stop? "
- Don't know about the rest of you but I don't have the heart to tell the poor devil - it won't!

Hope this helps.

Fred :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm entirely addicted, as well. It's definitely like a videogame, and I'm trying to constantly get the high score. My best mpg trip was from work to home one evening. Roughly 35 miles and 98.1 mpg. I was very :shock:

But, of course, I couldn't maintain it on my way back to work the next morning. My luck dictated that there would be a major accident that would require stop and go traffic... and many impatient people riding my a$$. :cry:

Either way, I'm in love. The only drawback is that I now kind of hesitate for taking the little guy out for short trips to the post office or supermarket. It really eats up my mpg! Ok just by one or two mpg but still - it irks me to no end. So I just rev up the other car (which doesn't have that blasted FCD) and enjoy the weather with the top down. I'm ashamed to say it, but I feel less guilty stepping on the gas when I can't see my instantaneous mpg. :oops:

- Christina

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have an addiction and I love it! It's called fuelrexia nervosa and I see no cure. My best MPG on my "sghibli" has been about 84 mpg on rolling hills over 40 miles. I'm always trying to be more efficient without pissing off crazy so-cal drivers around me. God, I feel a sigh of relief to find a big rig going slow. :badgrin: Recently, I was following a slow truck on I-5 in Orange County, CA going Northbound, and I found that a white civic hybrid was following behind me. They waved at me and I waved back, if that was anyone on this site, hello!

Many of my friends still don't believe the gas mileage I get. They think I'm lying. What is it with the haterz?

·
Registered
116 Posts
sghibli? What does that stand for? Reminds me of Studio Ghibli, but I'm not even sure many people on this site would even know what that is... :)

I am also very relieved to find big rigs and slow trucks. I used to get so pissed off whenever I got stuck behind them, but now I literally zoom in behind them with glee! I guess it makes me feel less guilty to be holding up traffic.. Kind of like a, "See? It's not my fault we're driving slow. Blame the semi in front of me!" :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sghibli does indeed stand for Studio Ghibli. I have been a Hayao Miyazaki fan for several decades.

:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
cattygurl said:
Sghibli does indeed stand for Studio Ghibli. I have been a Hayao Miyazaki fan for several decades.

:D
Hooray for Miyazaki!!! But I still haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle. I suppose with my super mpg I could drive myself over to San Francisco Japantown and get a copy. But I don't want to get stuck in traffic on the Bay Bridge and hurt my mileage. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts