Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lil baby just threw her first CEL at me today on my long commute! I don't notice and milage or performance changes though :?

I wonder what code she is kicking out. Ricky, do you have a code reader? or do I need to go to a dealer?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Autozone will check the codes for you....but of course, each store may have a different policy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, its the P0420 catalytic converter low efficiency code...

$250 to replace the O2 sensor if thats all it is, or $1400 for the catalytic converter... I have found a decen t mechanic and he feels fairly confident it is not the O2 sensor, but the cat... anyone else have this issue around 93k miles:?:

·
Registered
109 Posts
We had the same code at 67K. The CAT's were replaced, no more code.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Subterfuge3927 said:
<snip>

I have found a decen t mechanic and he feels fairly confident it is not the O2 sensor, but the cat... anyone else have this issue around 93k miles:?:
I personally think your mechanic is right ;) The way a P0420 is set is that the secondary O2 sensor "wakes-up" under certain engine conditions that the CAT should be able to keep it "asleep".

A BAD primary O2 sensor can be the cause and should *always* be tested _before_ CAT replacement to assure that the new CAT won't be damaged.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 9&start=75

A marginal CAT and _anything_ that would make the engine run inefficiently (out of tune (not due til 105K on an Insight), plugged air filter, etc) will cause the code earlier than otherwise. But expect a needed CAT replacement at some point in the not too distant future. :(

HTH! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the CEL light come on twice on my Insight, and on both occasions it went out after a few days. With about 75300 miles on the car I figured I'd better get it checked out before the emissions warranty expired. It was the same fault code-P0420. My dealer has ordered a new catalytic converter and I am very relieved that this got caught before the emissions warranty ran out. Based on what I've been reading here I'm getting the impression I should just bite the bullet and replace the O2 sensors at the same time just to be on the safe side. Would this be prudent? I use it for my daily commute of about 150 miles round trip.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
SamuraiSam said:
<snip>

I should just bite the bullet and replace the O2 sensors at the same time just to be on the safe side. Would this be prudent? I use it for my daily commute of about 150 miles round trip.
Difficult call.

Definitely have them checked :!:

See:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 9&start=75

Replacement may be overkill since a degraded sensor should show up as a significant drop in MPG (if your hypermileing ;) ). But if you choose this route remember only the primary sensor is critical (Read: save your money on the others til they code).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
@ SamuriSam

i replaced my cat at 80,000.... still under waranty thankfully. 2 weeks later my O2 sensor went as well. the O2 sensor was also under waranty even though i was over 80,000 at that point.... not sure why, but for some reason it fell under my 100,000 mile warranty.

might want to check on that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I had the mechanic clear the code, and I have since run 2 tanks of gas with valvoline's endinge/injector cleaner. Code has not yet reappeared... I figure my intakes and injectors may have been causeing too lean of a burn when I LB/P'd. I spend 90% of my driving time in LB, and my commute is close to 300miles round trip on avg.

So no code yet, which strengthens the good O2 sensor theory, especially since my milage is still great given ambient outside temps. Could be a Cat going out, which sux since I have emission in December... Hope it doesn't throw the code agian before that :evil:

·
Registered
35 Posts
goat961 said:
@ SamuriSam

i replaced my cat at 80,000.... still under waranty thankfully. 2 weeks later my O2 sensor went as well. the O2 sensor was also under waranty even though i was over 80,000 at that point.... not sure why, but for some reason it fell under my 100,000 mile warranty.

might want to check on that.
Thanks Goat. As it turned out the dealer replaced the sensors as well, all under warranty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it just rethru the code, and mine is not covered for some reason under the 100k mile warranty... so I have to pay to replace it myself at $1500! :evil:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I bought it used from another forum moderator that lives nearby, and aftermarlet 2nd party extended warranties for hybrid cares are not currently available unless you purchase thru honda as a certified used vehicle....

Mine does not so qualify... I was just hoping for the good faith warranty :evil:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After $1550.86 and both Cat's replaced, my milage has climbed from high 60's back to 80-90's at 60mph.

Expensive FE "mod" :evil: LOL :lol:

Would rather have bought MIMA... well, thats postponed a bit longer :x

LB sustains longer, RB is shorter, and I have more power at higher speeds with better FE... can't complain about the results :!: Just a shame the cats work so hard on our cars that they fail in under 100k miles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
well check this.....

cats AND o2 sensors (a while back) replaced....

the CEL continues......

better hurry.....just turned 72k.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts