Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest book has just been released - see DIY Suspension Development: Julian Edgar: 9781507637340: Amazon.com: Books

Probably of most interest here is that it uses a Honda Insight (Gen 1) as the example for the front wheel drive's upgrade front/back spring selection.

It is also the first book (that I am aware of) that shows how suspension natural frequencies in bounce, roll and pitch can be directly measured with a smart phone, and then that information used as part of suspension development.

In addition, I use the same technique to measure bounce, pitch and roll accelerations, which are critical for best analysing ride quality.

Some other things that are a bit unusual (although not unheard of) are finding the pitch centre by photographing the vehicle in different attitudes, and developing the suspension for a vehicle that weighs under 20kg.

It's not a huge book* so some areas are covered only lightly - eg damping theory is not gone into in any detail.

*47,000 words, 200 pics / diagrams

Sections of book:

Theory

Springs and natural frequencies - - - - - 3
Spring and wheel rates - - - - - - - 6
Measuring wheel rates - - - - - - - 8
Natural frequencies in pitch and roll - - - - - 12
Measuring ride quality - - - - - - - 17
Damping theory - - - - - - - 23
Suspension geometries - - - - - - - 27
Front-end angles - - - - - - - 33
Describing handling - - - - - - - 40
Bump steer - - - - - - - - 42
Handling solutions quick guide - - - - - - 43

Practice

Developing the suspension for a human-powered vehicle - - -48
Selecting new springs for a front-wheel drive suspension upgrade - 65
Fitting a full suspension kit to a rear-wheel drive car - - - 74
Fitting a MacPherson strut camber kit - - - - - 88
Custom suspension bushes - - - - - - 94
Modifying electronic car handling systems - - - - 96
User-adjustable stability control - - - - 106
Developing a torque split controller - - - - - 111

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had to add a bit on Amazon in the 'from the author' section:

Nearly all vehicle suspension books fall into one of two categories - simple car modification books, or highly technical engineering and vehicle dynamics text books.

The problem with the simple car modification books is that they tend to just talk about changing springs and shocks, altering sway bars and tyres... all without explaining the reasons why these changes are needed, or what decisions you should make when selecting the new parts. They're just manuals on changing parts, not books on why you should change those parts.

The problem with the technical engineering books is that while they explain the 'how and why' of suspension, they do so in a highly mathematical way that is hard to understand.

Obviously from my prelude, I think that this book is quite different.

It has almost no mathematics in it, and yet still covers the complex theory of suspension design. Roll centres, virtual centres, virtual swing-arm lengths - they're all there. Frequencies and accelerations of the sprung mass are also covered.

Making this much easier than before is new technology now allows anyone to directly measure suspension behaviour, using a smartphone. By using a cheap vibration measuring app, it's now possible to directly measure aspects such as suspension natural frequency, pitch accelerations and so on. Suddenly all this stuff - that was once so theoretical - can be seen and measured... and that makes it so much easier to understand and apply.

This book also takes a broad approach to vehicles. It has examples from front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive cars, but it also looks at developing suspension for ultra-light-weight vehicles. And it doesn't ignore current technology, with coverage also of modifying all-wheel drive torque splits and stability control.

I think that this book has a unique mixture of theory and practice. If you want to see the step-by-step of fitting a front camber kit to a FWD - it's there. But if you also want to understand the difference between spring and wheel rates, and how sometimes you might want to have soft bounce rates but a car that is stiff in roll - well, that's in there too.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You got quite a few books Id love to read. Ive had a while working on the suspension to my 95 suzuki sidekick. Anyone can tell you its a rough ride. I think I lost several teeth driving it and anything put in a pocket, behind the sun visor or cubby hold ends up on the floor. :evil:

I ended up with ac delco shocks, rear are air assisted. H&R lowering springs that are progressive rate with 2 inch spacers from a lift kit. Removal of front sway bar and going up 3 tire sizes inflated to 20 psi.

Next step is to get some 8 inch wide rims to let the tire spread out and distribute more of the load capacity vs the 6 inch ones I have now.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Buy one then!

I'll give you your money back if you don't like it.*

* if you give it back to me personally

·
Administrator
10,696 Posts
Discount code?

Not asking for it free, but members on here have contributed quite a lot to discussions.
Perhaps an exclusive 10% discount code for IC members might be nice/possible?

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly don't know how that is possible through Amazon and my author relationship with them.

I could buy some copies and make that discount available, but then my postage will be higher than theirs, so I don't think you'd end up winning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts