Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some inspiration from blue civic hybrid and KLR3CYL I decided to mock up and make my own aero panel. It's .093" polycarbonate from Home Depot. I added a PVC oil drain to match up with my Fumoto oil drain valve and a thumblatch door for oil filter access (as well as coolant petcock). I decided on a couple pieces of aluminum angle stock to counter any pressure from the front bumper puts on the 2 rear bolts. Just got it on today and only drove < 10 miles. So far no rattles (up to 75mph) so far. I might be crazy but I think I notice a slight increase in road noise under 10 mph. I will be back later this week to report on any mpg increase (over no aero panels that is).

Attachments

·
3,641 Posts
Very nice workmanship!

I would also like an access hatch for the filter, but Scott did such a nice job on the aluminium panels, I don't have the nerves to mess with it. :) At the minimum, I will have to ask for his forgiveness before I cut into it. :)

I do wonder how the plaxi will hold up under the car. Will it get scratched from sand etc flying under the car? I think it will make Oil changes easier, because you won't have to grab for stuff blindly.

OT, but I was also planning on making a plexi see-through cover for the battery. Yes, just for cool factor, and to be able to educate the uninformed. They are not cheap though.

·
Administrator
11,739 Posts
Very nice. :)

I like the access flap and being able to see as well.

I think you could sell those.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Careful with that stuff it spiders easily.

·
Premium Member
Southern California
793 Posts
I believe polycarbonate has a fairly low melting temperature, so it might start to droop in proximity to the exhaust pipe. We'll have to see what happens.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I decided on a couple pieces of aluminum angle stock to counter any pressure from the front bumper puts on the 2 rear bolts.
Would it be possible to mount this aluminum angle on the top side of the polycarbonate (i.e., out of the airstream)?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Art, I would have preferred placing the beams up inside the fairing, but the right/ passenger side it would be too close to the oil pan for my liking.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very nice work, I like the access door , and the fact that you can check for leaks,etc. I believe you could sell a few of these.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I would also like an access hatch for the filter, but Scott did such a nice job on the aluminium panels, I don't have the nerves to mess with it. :) At the minimum, I will have to ask for his forgiveness before I cut into it. :)
I always change the filter from the top. I use a filter wrench that grips the bottom of the filter an fits a ratchet (from Walmart). Reach behind the radiator. Use a large rag under the filter to catch spillage.

Maybe my hands are smaller...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Freezin4 "I do wonder how the plaxi will hold up under the car. Will it get scratched from sand etc flying under the car? I think it will make Oil changes easier, because you won't have to grab for stuff blindly."
We'll have to see how well this stuff holds up cosmetically speaking. I started out wanting to use .062" aluminum, however where I live we only really have a Home Depot and they do not stock that. I do like the polycarbonate, IMO it looks slick.

Maximumfuelage "Careful with that stuff it spiders easily."
I'm going to keep a close eye on all the mounting points for a while. I really think the angle aluminum bars should keep the movement to a minimum though. Fiber washers are a good idea on the mounting bolts as well.

Mario "I believe polycarbonate has a fairly low melting temperature, so it might start to droop in proximity to the exhaust pipe. We'll have to see what happens. "
Great point! I fixed a couple of temperature sensors at the point closest to the exhaust (about 4" away) and directly under the oil pan (about 1" away) and will monitor them for a while. Melting point is 155 degrees C, so I hope it doesn't get any where near that temp.

TX-WA "I always change the filter from the top. I use a filter wrench that grips the bottom of the filter an fits a ratchet (from Walmart). Reach behind the radiator. Use a large rag under the filter to catch spillage."
Thats a great idea, I've never tried that yet. When I thought this out I wanted to keep true to the Fumoto valve mentality and keep it to where the only tools I need for oil changes are a catch can , and a funnel. We'll see if I can still reach up and spin off the filter with my hand through the 6.5" X 15" door.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Looks great!

That looks great for a panel! And as others have stated, I would just watch out for spider cracks, heat stress, and if you actually do hit something in the road, lets hope that it doesn't shatter.

I had my DIY panel for about 3 years with about 120k in driving on it and I had some deep gouges in the aluminum from random objects on the freeway that I couldn't dodge, plus my car was lowered too!

I really like the fact that you made those access ports for the oil change and filter access.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an mpg update...After putting 600 miles on it my average has gone from 62 -64 mpg to 70 even.... everything seems to be holding up fine, no vibrations, melting or discoloration. The highest recorded temp I got closest to the oil pan was 150°f.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update - I do have 2 screws on one of the support beams with spider cracks (> 1/4"). Don't think it'll be detrimental structurally speaking.
I am getting around 5 percent better fuel economy, and I believe that's a conservative estimate. The real benefit I'm seeing is when driving into a moderate or heavier headwind. Many days I drive home from work ( uphill and 15-35 mph wind) and have noticed a much more consistent mpg vs. no aero panel installed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts