Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Insight LX on Saturday... out the door for just under 19,300... I think that's decent (though I'm sure that discussion is on another forum) Anyway...

My mileage started in the low 30s (the average says) and has only gone up to around 37, but I really think I'm getting better mileage than that. I won't know, of course, until I refill the tank... it's only now hit the top green bar after more than 70 miles... But is it fairly normal to get low mpg that first time? I assumed perhaps the car needed more of a sample to average from or something.

Also I'm driving mostly slow stop and go, or at least I will be, going from home to work, and I'm sure that will end up affecting things. But, I would hope to at least get 40 all the time with the city estimate being 41.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the Insight's gas mileage is really terrible when the engine is cold (as with most cars), but doubly so because the engine never shuts off when it's cold. Also, I find that in my Insight, the gas mileage really suffers in stop and go traffic. In true stop and go traffic, I probably average about 25 mpg (I mean a mix of bumper to bumper and stop/go at traffic lights, etc.). However, the Insight really seems to shine on the highway, where I can get 55+ mpg.

That being said, my commute is half highway, half stop and go traffic (by distance). I averaged about 44 mpg my first tank, with A/C on at all times and econ on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I can't say I've been in stop and go, it's just been pretty slow driving (max 40) and stop lights. Though I did hit the highway for awhile yesterday going out to Vienna for some Mexican food :)

37mpg isn't terrible, it's certainly better than I was getting in my 2005 elantra, but it's claiming I still have about 460 range left on the tank, so I really think I'm getting better than 30s. I'm hoping the gauge is wrong :)

Still... the car was 4-5k cheaper than an equivalent Prius in this area. I'd never save that much money on gas and I like driving the Insight a lot more (my Mom has a Prius, the blind spots are hell).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats on your new car. My first tank was around 41mpg, and it only got better. Stop and go will hit your mpg, and short commutes (<10 min) will kill it. Don't get worried until you have 2 or 3 refills, and try to mix in a few long drives. I think your mpg will improve.

·
Registered
245 Posts
53 highway, 34 slow city/stop & go

Picked-up mine today. On the way to the dealership (about 40 mostly highway miles, on the DC Beltway then I-95 to Baltimore) I drove my '02 Prius - easy 52mpg on which I have +2 width high-performance tires (20mm wider than stock, same diameter, definitely not low rololing resistance by design), which decreases the mileage noticeably.

On the 40miles back from the dealership I dorve the Insight at similar speeds - 53mpg flat (staying at around 55mph average speed each way). I might be able to improve on that once I get more used to the car - it seems on relatively flat roads close to 55mpg on the highway at under 60 mph speeds seems reasonable to get without too much sacrifice... Have not checked the tire pressure on the Insight yet - whatever came from the lot, where on the Prius I have a little over 40psi usually, so that might be the equalizing factor despite the less fuel efficient tires on the Prius.

Way too early to say, but it seems the 2011 Insight is almost a match for the 10 year old generation of Prius, when driven extremely gently :).

I have yet to drive the Insight the way I often drive my Prius. From the little I've seen from the Insight in stop and go traffic today (another 20 miles or so), I'm fairly certain the Prius will have the edge when driven in a more lively way - I seldom fall below 36mpg in the Prius when driven quite aggresively in very active Washington DC and beltway traffic with a car rack on top (often with a kayak or two) and a heavy right foot (e.g. usually the fastest off the light and maintaining position or passing after that).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually I can't say I've been in stop and go, it's just been pretty slow driving (max 40) and stop lights. Though I did hit the highway for awhile yesterday going out to Vienna for some Mexican food :)

37mpg isn't terrible, it's certainly better than I was getting in my 2005 elantra, but it's claiming I still have about 460 range left on the tank, so I really think I'm getting better than 30s. I'm hoping the gauge is wrong :)

Still... the car was 4-5k cheaper than an equivalent Prius in this area. I'd never save that much money on gas and I like driving the Insight a lot more (my Mom has a Prius, the blind spots are hell).
Speaking of blind spots, the Insight has pretty big blind spots right where the horizontal bar splitting the glass on the tailgate meets the sides of the car. I suppose I could adjust my side mirrors closer, but then I would have big blind spots on my sides and have to turn my head over my shoulders!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Speaking of blind spots, the Insight has pretty big blind spots right where the horizontal bar splitting the glass on the tailgate meets the sides of the car. I suppose I could adjust my side mirrors closer, but then I would have big blind spots on my sides and have to turn my head over my shoulders!
you call it a blind spot, i call it the best headlight dimmer in the world. I love that when someone rides my *** i am not going blind from it.

slightly more on topic... i have had 3 fill ups since i got my 2010 EX... avg of the 3 has been around 40mpg. looking forward to the summer where the heat and highway road trips will hopefully push me into the 50s

·
Registered
34 Posts
If that is really a problem, maybe Honda should add automatic dimming rear view/side view mirrors to their list of options!

·
Registered
245 Posts
The way I deal with glare is to aim my outside mirrors way out (to the max they would allow on the Insight). This also eliminates blind spots on the side of the car.

That takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it, it is great! The Insight has huge outside mirrors and they cover a lot of ground. When aimed to the side rather than back, you get no glare from vehicles behind you, only from the ones that pass you and only for a short time (and less than you would get otherwise, because their beams are not directed at you and you only get the peripheral light from their beams...).

Basically, you rely on the inside rear view mirror to monitor the cars in the lane behind you and use the side mirrors to monitor the cars in the lanes to the side of you. With this confguration you have no blind spots as far as I can tell.

The only disadvantage is when parking - you can't see well the curb and you may need to temporarily adjust the outside mirror towards the car to see it.

If that is really a problem, maybe Honda should add automatic dimming rear view/side view mirrors to their list of options!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've gotten used to the Insight blind spots very quickly... probably because I knew what to expect, having driven my Mom's Prius, but it's not nearly as bad as the Prius. The Prius drove me crazy, and anytime I see one near me on the road, now, I watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't side swipe me.

The Insight side mirrors are great, but I've always looked over my shoulder to double check and always will. I think it's pretty necessary in the Insight.

Hey, someone else who lives in the D.C. metro area! :) I haven't seen you or your Insight yet. I haven't seen another Insight yet at all! It's almost lonely... On the other hand, I get to smirk at the Prius owners, who in this area paid at least 5k more than I did. Heh heh.

I guess I can't complain about 37mpg when my avg speed has been 19mph lately. I hate my commute.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do the same thing, which is why the blind spot in the rear windshield is a problem. You don't have any redundancy using the setup we both use, and blind spots in the rear windshield are not covered by the side mirrors.

I also don't like the horizontal beam in back because I can't see what kind of cool cars are behind me!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do the same thing, which is why the blind spot in the rear windshield is a problem. You don't have any redundancy using the setup we both use, and blind spots in the rear windshield are not covered by the side mirrors.

I also don't like the horizontal beam in back because I can't see what kind of cool cars are behind me!
Yeah the split back window is a pain. I sort of try the stretch up to look over, slouch down to look under method ;) Maybe we can call it the Insight Bounce.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My first tank

[/IMG]

This was my first tank. Just 393 miles. When I filled up today it only took 9.02 gallons of gas. S0 I had another 1.5 gallons or so still left in the tank. That would have gotten me another 50 miles or so. I am pretty happy with this. I was on track for 46 miles a gallon, but with the colder weather here lately, and the car being used for a family outing (adding more weight) it is justifiable at 45 mpg. Another thing is I just fueled up with pure gas or non-ethanol gas. I will see if this makes a difference. I am not sure what type of gas the dealership put in when they filled it up. My goal is to one day get 500 miles per tank. One day! One day!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I parked at work today I think it said I'd traveled about 98 miles so far and that it estimated I had another 390 on the tank. It may have been 370... Anyway I'm not going to hit 500 but I think I'm doing well. It's going to be awhile before I fill but I'll report back when I do.

45 is nice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
36 MPG my first fill-up; 39, 42, 40 MPG on the next fill-ups. The last 2 were mostly very aggressive highway driving.

Decided halfway through this tank I have a good feel for the car now and wanted to tame down my driving.

80 mile drive today reported 51.8 MPG. Hopefully the weather here in OH will begin to warm and I can break my 50 MPG goal soon :). God I love this car :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
My car is stuck permanently around 40MPG at the moment. It spends a lot of time driving 75MPH on 77 though. Knowing the wife it's probably more like 80MPH.

You gonna detail the black beauty Kyllins? Good way to irritate Prius owners even further. :) You're one of the closer I2 owners to me, about 3 hours away. I can hit Columbus in 2:15 hours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think I got better mileage today not being so cautious in my driving, oddly enough. Average for the tank is up to 38.2 but I still think that's wrong. I have gone 114 miles and the computer is estimating I have over 380 something left on the tank. If that's correct I'd hit close to the 500 mark.

I reset the trip odometer before leaving work yesterday and am getting about 42 avg. I was over 50 for a little while starting out ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My car is stuck permanently around 40MPG at the moment. It spends a lot of time driving 75MPH on 77 though. Knowing the wife it's probably more like 80MPH.

You gonna detail the black beauty Kyllins? Good way to irritate Prius owners even further. :) You're one of the closer I2 owners to me, about 3 hours away. I can hit Columbus in 2:15 hours.

Have you done your Zaino yet? I'm wondering what you thought or if you had pictures.

We're considering getting it with our tax money. The website pictures and Youtube videos convinced me, but dropping that kind of money involves convincing the wife as well.

Krista, where are you from? (add to ur CP!) After the COLD temps today and with a similar driving style my MPG gauge dropped to 44. Bring on the heat!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Krista, where are you from? (add to ur CP!) After the COLD temps today and with a similar driving style my MPG gauge dropped to 44. Bring on the heat!
I've added my location to the CP now :) I'm looking forward to it being warmer but I'm Not looking forward to July/August... way too hot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This was my first tank. Just 393 miles. When I filled up today it only took 9.02 gallons of gas. S0 I had another 1.5 gallons or so still left in the tank. That would have gotten me another 50 miles or so. I am pretty happy with this. I was on track for 46 miles a gallon, but with the colder weather here lately, and the car being used for a family outing (adding more weight) it is justifiable at 45 mpg. Another thing is I just fueled up with pure gas or non-ethanol gas. I will see if this makes a difference. I am not sure what type of gas the dealership put in when they filled it up. My goal is to one day get 500 miles per tank. One day! One day!
dont forget to calculate your mileage the old fasion way. miles/gallons...the MID is optimistic 2-3 mpg. Also the Range is WILDLY optimistic.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
15 Participants
Purplegate
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing