Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...gas guzzler. A GMC Safari AWD, to haul stuff and to get me to work more safely when there's snow. I hate it, but we do need it, and at least it's only used <1000 miles a year.

Recently, DH & I have been talking about getting an RV, and recently have decided we could get a new hauler with more tow power. Anybody know anything about the Hemi hybrid? I felt very comfortable getting my first Insight in '05 because this forum was here, with so many knowledgeable folks. I don't see a similar forum for the hybrid trucks.

Throw me your 2 cents!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ideally under 5000 pounds. The hybrid 4WD trucks have lower tow capacity, but would still be around 6000 pounds.

·
3,641 Posts
My wife's car is a Lexus RX400h AWD. It has a factory tow package rated for 3500#. Love that car! It's got a smooth V6 with Hybrid Synergy Drive. I chose it for its capability. Highlander is same drivetrain. Mid 20s for MPG or just under 20 MPG towing on highway keeping up with traffic.

It may be too weak for your needs, unless you get an ultralight aluminum camper or a pop up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The RV (a travel trailer) we bought is 4800 lbs unloaded, so no SUV will pull it. I talked to Matt at Cincinnati Hybrid, and he recommended that we avoid the 2009 Dodge Durango/Chrysler Aspen hybrid, only because it was made only one year & parts are hard to come by (and my DH did fall in love with the Aspen). There appears to be no avid following for the hybrid trucks like there are for our beloved Insights, which I guess should surprise no one. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Has to be 4WD/AWD. Do you have a recommendation?
I'm a Chevy guy myself. Any Chevy/GMC duramax will do you what you want. (My 86 and my 2001 have towed great, my 2001 tows a 36ft 14k gooseneck trailer all day without thinking). Don't be afraid of mileage on diesels as they run for a good long time when taken care of. A 90's model with the 6.5 TD will also probably do what you need as well and would be significantly cheaper. They are also much easier to work on.

Ford and Dodge also make good trucks but don't know as much about them except the cummins in a dodge is hard to beat if you can find a dodge that isn't rusted.

Truck

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Test-drove an 08 Yukon Hybrid today, and I won't lie: I liked it. IDK if I can squeak out the $25k for it, though...

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Honestly depends on what I feel like driving...

'99 CRV(parents):

'87 Toyota Camry(not running right now, it's misfiring like crazy, I think it needs a tuneup):

'91 Mustang Foxbody 5.0, 302 Windsor engine(mine):

'88 Dodge Dakota(parents):

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
'91 Jeep Wrangler(parents):

Of course the '00 Insight(mine):

For campin'(parents):

For dem water adventures (89 Searay)(parents):

I also have two 250cc Honda Recon ATV's (obv aren't a car)
A 1987 Honda XL80, no spark, and I can't figure out why :.(.
Honda 90cc ATV (dunno what it's called, sportrax maybe? idk).

I call these 'mine' because I can drive any of them whenever I want. So yea.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a follow up

If anybody cares, after a long time searching, I gave up on my RV dreams... we need the money for fixing up our house anyway. We put a deposit on a '09 HyHi last weekend to replace the '05 Safari. So while we're cutting down on terms of room for dog hauling, the mpg will improve by 50%. It'll be interesting to learn a completely different hybrid system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts