Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago after an oil change I started hearing a rattle coming from under my insight. I didn't have time to check it out & a cursory look under the car I didn't see anything wrong. Another couple of weeks pass & I hit a large bump, suddenly it sounds like my car is going to explode with an awful grinding noise coming from under the car. I pulled over & look under. The undercladding from the front of the car is hanging down & scraping the pavement. A closer look reveals that almost none of the guard is attached, the screws are missing, the places where the clips are were shredded.

It's a mess. I figured that the last time I took it for an oil change they must have yanked the cladding down without unscrewing or removing clips & then when they couldn't get it reattached, they just tucked it up under the body panels. That's what I get for going to a Honda dealership to get the oil changed I guess. I went back & they said it was too long since the last oil change for them to cover any damage & since I didn't know what it looked like before, it might have been that way when they got it.

So, now my under panels are zip-tied in. But they still rattle. Plus now I have a new buzzing rattle coming from the engine. I suspect it's a heat shield of some sort & have a friend who said that's happened on the last 2 Hondas he's had.

There's a ticking in the engine in the mornings. I suspect that I need some mainenance like valve adjustment or something. I'm at about 69K now.

Bottom line. My poor insight sounds like a mess. Anyone know of a decent place to get my car fixed up around Madison or Milwaukee. Wilde in Waukesha has become the bane of my existence after that last visit.

Also any suggestions on reattaching the undercladding, finding the source of the buzzing rattle, or my ticky-tock engine clatter are appreciated.

Thanks for listening to my ranting. I apologize.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Bjaardker said:
There's a ticking in the engine in the mornings. I suspect that I need some mainenance like valve adjustment or something. I'm at about 69K now.
An engine "rattle" that fades completely when warm is normal. The other sounds are not. Don't wait for the damage to increase. Get it looked at ASAP :!: :)

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If the heat shield on the catalytic converter rusts at the bolts it can buzz. That happened twice on my CRX. Also there is very little clearance between the aero covers and the engine so that could be a source. A piece of rubber or plastic hose held to the ear and moved around under the engine can help to locate exhaust leaks and buzzing noises etc.

(If you use a black rubber hose, wash your ear before a job interview or date. ;) )

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I use hose clamps to keep the heat shields from rattling. Some of them rusted at their mounting points. Solved that problem.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
As far as dealers go, Zimbrick Honda is one you could consider in Madison. I know others in the Madison Hybrid Group use them.

I've had good luck with them, but then again I have only had routine maintenance and a few minor things done to my Insight.

In Milwaukee, have you ever gone to Schlossman's Honda City? I don't know much about them but know some of the Milwaukee Hybrid Group guys have mentioned them.

Don't limit yourself to only the Honda dealer, though. Some of your problems sound like things a good independent shop may be able to figure out. A workable solution for the body panels, and finding a rattle may be able to be easy to figure out.

Sometimes the screws on the undercover panels come loose on their own, so I try to check mine on a periodic basis "just in case". I had a similar experience when my cover was hanging down, but not to the extreme you mentioned.

Anyway, good luck and be sure to post the results of your experience so our local Hybrid Groups can more get feedback on these mechanics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing happened to me last year. Those parking stops are just the right :evil: height to scrape / rip off the shield under the front. I'd done it once too many times when on the freeway one night it came HALF off (folded under the car); sounded like the end of the world but the sparks from behind were way cool 8) . When I got to where I was going I borrowed some hand tools and finished the job. Found a dealership that had the part but no tech. Found a local mechanic who put the part on (and later regretted the quoted price) after almost two hours of gorilla force.
I had to run three days with the shield off and did no major damage to the undercarriage (dodged some interesting stuff on the CA 91!) or working parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts