Honda Insight Forum banner

My poor car sounds like it's falling apart :(

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Faith 
#1 ·
A month ago after an oil change I started hearing a rattle coming from under my insight. I didn't have time to check it out & a cursory look under the car I didn't see anything wrong. Another couple of weeks pass & I hit a large bump, suddenly it sounds like my car is going to explode with an awful grinding noise coming from under the car. I pulled over & look under. The undercladding from the front of the car is hanging down & scraping the pavement. A closer look reveals that almost none of the guard is attached, the screws are missing, the places where the clips are were shredded.

It's a mess. I figured that the last time I took it for an oil change they must have yanked the cladding down without unscrewing or removing clips & then when they couldn't get it reattached, they just tucked it up under the body panels. That's what I get for going to a Honda dealership to get the oil changed I guess. I went back & they said it was too long since the last oil change for them to cover any damage & since I didn't know what it looked like before, it might have been that way when they got it.

So, now my under panels are zip-tied in. But they still rattle. Plus now I have a new buzzing rattle coming from the engine. I suspect it's a heat shield of some sort & have a friend who said that's happened on the last 2 Hondas he's had.

There's a ticking in the engine in the mornings. I suspect that I need some mainenance like valve adjustment or something. I'm at about 69K now.

Bottom line. My poor insight sounds like a mess. Anyone know of a decent place to get my car fixed up around Madison or Milwaukee. Wilde in Waukesha has become the bane of my existence after that last visit.

Also any suggestions on reattaching the undercladding, finding the source of the buzzing rattle, or my ticky-tock engine clatter are appreciated.

Thanks for listening to my ranting. I apologize.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.