Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Other cars...

Heh, yeah, I was amazed to see my van getting 27 MPG (it has a built-in real-time MPG display too) on our way up to Idaho yesterday. Then we were delayed by the weather and had to turn around. On the trip back, that forty-to-sixty MPH wind that had been a tailwind turned into a headwind, and I had to draft a truck for a hundred miles in order to get more than 14 MPG :)

It definitely affects one's driving patterns all around. I don't mind being passed anymore, but now I really mind someone jumping off the line faster than me when I'm in front at the stoplight :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
An accident waiting to happen?

One unfortunate thing I've noted about my driving patterns, though, is that in preferring to maximize regenerative braking (which generally equals long braking distance) and coast-through on lights changing (which generally equals slowing down long before a red light), people do follow the pattern you mention: jerk in front of you and slam on the brakes at the light.

How obnoxious.

And yet, I noticed that people trying to conserve momentum and brake slowly seem to be far more the exception than the rule. I even feel a little uncomfortable with how long I take to brake when I'm trying to get regen. There are times that I just say "screw it, let's favor auto-stop", kill the heater, and slam on the brakes right at the light -- just like 99% of the other drivers on the road.

Sometimes, being a safe, energy-conscious driver seems more dangerous than just doing what everybody else is doing: speeding, slamming on brakes, etc. I live in constant fear of being rear-ended.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Autostop in neutral above 3-4 mph?

I'm confused... my Insight will auto-stop if put into Neutral when coasting to a light? How fast can you be going and have that happen?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts