Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i decided to go to 40lbs on my front tires. And i stupidly told the garage guy who was changing my oil to do that, and had a long argument. He kept saying "honda tires take 32lbs!"
I pointed out the 38lbs on the door frame, but he wouldn't do that either.
He said that i had the standard honda tires.

Now, i did buy this car used, but it only has 20, 000 miles so far. Seems like a total tire change is unlikely, and i still have the original tires.
But now he's made me totally paranoid. How will i know if i have the right tires for high pressure??? What should they look like?

I looked in the knowledge base, but didn't find this. (or did find it, but was too stupid to realize it.)

I'm kind of freaking out. Especially since they are at 39lbs right now. :shock:

(yes, i know i should have changed the oil myself, but it was 85 degrees today and i had to work overtime. the "maint req" light was driving me crazy :p )

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
They should say in various sizes of lettering:

Bridgestone.......POTENZA.......P165?65 R14 78s........Steel belted radial M+S

They don't say Hypermiler, special rubber, strange Euro-Japanese size, or inflate to 50 psi (like the compact spare); nothing at all to give away their secret identity.

G

·
0 Posts
bug_girl said:
But, only 50 miles on 40psi pressure so far. early days....
They're factory rated at 44 psi which still includes a considerable safety margin. Pump 'em up to 50! Just be careful when driving on wet pavement.

·
Registered
569 Posts
el_vacho said:
[quote="bug_girl":5cznub9z]But, only 50 miles on 40psi pressure so far. early days....
They're factory rated at 44 psi which still includes a considerable safety margin. Pump 'em up to 50! Just be careful when driving on wet pavement.[/quote:5cznub9z] Yes, be very careful on wet roads if you go up around 50 psi, especially around curves. I like taking curves much faster than the posted speed and have almost lost it a couple of times!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Oh, good grief....

You could have typed the specs just as easy as posting that, and with less 'tude... :p

·
Registered
700 Posts
bug_girl said:
woo hoo! after 500 miles, i am now at 57.5mpg--and that includes running the AC a couple of days when it was hot.
whee! (*runs around in circles*)
:D

Now go to 45 and see what happens!

I run 50 all around, some go higher than that.

·
Registered
700 Posts
bug_girl said:
Boys! Behave!

Today my 60 mile commute to work and back: 63.5 mpg.
wahoo! (*gloats over coworkers*)
He started it :p

And: How do you know I'm a boy???? Ok, I am, but still....

That's some awesome mileage for a CVT! Go up to 50 yet?
There's nothing a little peer pressure won't solve. Boys are better at that, you know...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
FYI

Just drove ~1250 miles from Dallas to St. Louis and back. Had extra time, I like to drive instead of fly (more relaxing for me, ability to stop, buy produce, eat at cafes, etc etc etc), wanted to put some miles on the Insight, and felt like an adventure. 50 pounds per corner as usual. Regular acceleration there (A odometer), Rostra 90% of the time back (B odometer). Temps 70s to low 90s, speeds 65-85 mph depending on traffic, 19600 mi. on the car (2001 CVT), a/c on econ the whole way, and just for the heck of it, I did not pay any attention to the instantaneous mileage readout (hard to do). Saw one MCB Insight in St. Louis, parked, very dusty/dirty and the bodywork very dinged and beat up. :cry:

Trip up: A/626.5 mi., 55.8 mpg.
Trib back: B/622.1 mi., 54.9 mpg.

My LMPG: 53.8 (mysteriously stayed there throughout the trip, I expected to see a change to 54.0) :D

I forgot how much attention an Insight draws on the open road. Even the truckers filled the CB airwaves with comments (sample dialogue: [Roadway Truck] "them's one of them lil' ol' hi-brids just passed me at 'bout 85, didn't know they'd pedal that fast... take a look there, JB, she's comin' up on ya." [J.B.Hunt truck]: "ahhh, ten four, Big R, I see 'im, yeah I seen a few on the road, the get like 100 miles a gallon, some of 'em." [Boogety}: "yeah, I wish, driver, I'm getting about 55 right now, but I'm going 80..." [friendly conversation ensues until I'm out of range... repeat with other vehicles) :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Re: FYI

boogetyboogety said:
I forgot how much attention an Insight draws on the open road. Even the truckers filled the CB airwaves with comments (sample dialogue: [Roadway Truck] "them's one of them lil' ol' hi-brids just passed me at 'bout 85, didn't know they'd pedal that fast... take a look there, JB, she's comin' up on ya." [J.B.Hunt truck]: "ahhh, ten four, Big R, I see 'im, yeah I seen a few on the road, the get like 100 miles a gallon, some of 'em." [Boogety}: "yeah, I wish, driver, I'm getting about 55 right now, but I'm going 80..." [friendly conversation ensues until I'm out of range... repeat with other vehicles) :lol:
Sweet. :) I've been thinking about getting a CB for my Insight as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts