Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be getting al my parts together for a turbo install ...
so far i have the turbo and ic and ic pipeing that needs to be mounted and fabed...i will be posting pics of progress as soon as i figure out how to post pics..nothing will be installed untill i have all my parts so hopefully the car will only be down for a weekend..wish me luck finding parts guys.. :D

i wont be installing anytime soon as it is very hard to find a flange for this turbo i most likely will have to make a custom laser cut flange..anyhow i will probly install intercooler and other little things first

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good luck only having it down for a weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Have you read the threads about the other Insights that were turboed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i have and the work thay did was great..but not seeing the car in person doent help me at all there are alot of questions i have but will have to figure out my self..ps this isnt the first turbo project ive done :D

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
turbo project

So where are you located? Another reason to fill out your "profile" a little more.............. I've traveled over 1,000 miles on a weekend just to meet with other fellow Insighters and explain my turbo setup.
(Always looking for a reason to travel)

You have three other turbo Insighters available. One in Fla. (Southern) Two in Calif. (One Northern and one Southern).

I don't think any of us have received any PM's from you.

What turbo are you using? BOV? Amount of boost? Intercooler? Exhaust system mods?
Keep us posted.

Willie

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i tried to ask lht but they did not want to give out any secrets the first time.i only asked for the turbo size to stir me in the right direction in chooseing a turbo..
i did not attemp to contact anyone here i just figure people wouldnt help(like most other forums i use for my other cars)...but if the people on this forum is willing to help then iam all for it..
iam located in norhtern california.
so far i have almost everything i need minus oil feed line and oil return and afew other misc things like exhaust bends for my down pipe..if some one could show me how to post pics here i would love to post my pics or maybe somwone can host them for me..

the turbo iam useing ihi rhf4 is bigger then willies but iam not sure how it compares to lht gt15/17 hybrid..
also have a large fmic good for 300hp i know its overkill but i love the way it looks..

my question is will the intercooler and pipe size play a key role in turbo lag??

another question would be were do you guys tap into for coolant...is it nesasary to use the coolant for the turbo??none of my other cars used them this is why i ask...

ps i got my flanges back today.alot sooner then i expected..total spent 120 and some change 60 for cat design and 60 for laser cutting..
so far iam into this about 600 bucks but i will need more parts..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
billybass999 said:
my question is will the intercooler and pipe size play a key role in turbo lag??
Yes, especially with a turbo that small. In my opinion, lag would be unacceptable. I have a feeling that your turbo may be too large as well. The RHF4 is used on Subaru 4 cylinders and is good for about 180HP. I assume the hotside has been swapped with something smaller to aid spool?

another question would be were do you guys tap into for coolant...is it nesasary to use the coolant for the turbo??none of my other cars used them this is why i ask...
There are coolant lines going to the oil cooler which are the first to come to my mind.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually i think the turbo would be a good size from what iam told by many turbo guys...the turbo comes from a subaru 2 liter twin turbo engine..the turbo is actually smaller then the turbo lht has to offer..

iam starting to think should i even use an intercooler??maybe with 6lbs of boost it wouldnt even make alot of heat what do you think??

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
6lb boost :!: :lol:

From the Civic turbo mods I've seen you'd better go with forged pistons too. (good luck finding something off-the-shelf to fit your Insight) else one day the inevitable will present its ugly face.

Ok if you only drive in in granny mode then it won't ever be an issue. ;) But a _bit_ too much fun will have a cumulative effect.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
billybass999 said:
iam starting to think should i even use an intercooler??maybe with 6lbs of boost it wouldnt even make alot of heat what do you think??
You need an intercooler. You an do some math if you have a compressor map and turbo specs available to show you how much 6 PSI will heat the charge.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Insightful Trekker said:
6lb boost :!: :lol:

From the Civic turbo mods I've seen you'd better go with forged pistons too. (good luck finding something off-the-shelf to fit your Insight) else one day the inevitable will present its ugly face.

Ok if you only drive in in granny mode then it won't ever be an issue. ;) But a _bit_ too much fun will have a cumulative effect.
i dont think 6lbs is pushing it.
but if you think 6lbs is too much then ill start with 5lbs :lol:
fyi ive boosted 14lbs on a stock civic motor for over a year beating it pretty bad trying to blow it up and it did not break once...
it all comes down to the tune :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aaron Cake said:
billybass999 said:
You need an intercooler. You an do some math if you have a compressor map and turbo specs available to show you how much 6 PSI will heat the charge.
at 5 lbs it will only get from 12-18 f/h hotter.
i have the turbo already and i plan on useing this turbo..
iam the type of person that just has to do it and see for myself..
if this dosent work then ill try something else ...
:D

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I believe Billy has done experiments and concluded that efficiency of the Insight power train increases up to 120 degrees input temperature. Increasing temperature beyond that yields no improvement. The compressor is used to get extra oxygen and fuel into the cylinders. Hot air is less dense, therefore the compressor is less effective without the inter cooler. Needless to say higher temperatures and pressures can also cause pre detonation.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
Billy 999:
Heat in the intake is caused by the friction of air. I've seen intake air temperatures as high as 158 F under hard boost during the summers in So cal. and the deserts of Az. without any ill effects.
The Insight starts out with over a 10-1 compression ratio to start with.
Start adding "boost" and the compression ratio goes up rather quickly. Bottom line on any engine, high boost, lower compression to start with. Then you lose a certain amount of power without boost so it's a trade off.
Ignition management is controled by the "knock sensor" on the Insight. A very valuable and efficient item. But it is also limited by the programming of the ECU by the engineers.
A large intercooler is benefical if you are looking for a lot of horsepower and using a lot of boost but not mandatory.
Cooling of the turbo is highly recommended. The turbo runs very hot and the oil used to lubricate and cool the turbine is under stress. (I've used Mobile 1 Sync. since the first oil change and swear by it). Make the turbo oil drain line as large as possible as the oil in the return line will be like "foam".
I hooked my turbo coolant lines to the heater core as it was the easiest and appeared to be the most efficient. You can also use the oil cooler lines as suggested by Aaron but it will take a lot more plumbing.
Don't expect much "boost" under 2K rpm. unless you are useing a variable vane turbo. (which are very expensive)
Because the Insight has the exhaust manifold molded in the head, be aware of the heat build up in the center cylinder on the exhaust side. A freeflowing exhaust system is benefical and almost manditory.
Hope this helps.........Good luck.
Willie

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey willy since turbocharging your car how is the stock clutch holding up??
ive been told that the civic clutch is the same and would be considered an upgrade over the stock insight.. i will start makeing the manifold this weekend ... if someone

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Indeed in wintertime IAT's of around 120F are the peak MPG benefit (hot intake air mod). Rick Reece designed and installed a 150F version and (IIRC) actually saw a reduction in MPG. Probably thinning the air too much and reducing O2 content.

There's an _old_ post of his in here somewhere on the subject...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts