Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it turns out my battery fan has never worked since I've owned the car, so I've decided to upgrade it as the original is no longer made, and just why not while I'm at it.

I purchased a Delta AFB1212VHE 120mm X 38mm with 2 pin connector off of Amazon for $12.39, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XDXHTFA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are more powerful fans available for pretty much the same price, but this one from reading other threads was a good all around fan, not too loud, not to power hungry, and long life.

How it looks out of the box

Has to be trimmed to fit in car.
Made a mess

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Soldered wires from new fan to harness from factory one. Didn't really do the best job...but it was like 120* in my shop so I wasn't exactly taking my time.

Installed. Note: I had to drill out holes on the fan for the bolts to go through.

I decided to seal it up better with HVAC tape.

Overall it was a very easy job. I probably wouldn't have did it unless my fan was dead and even then I never worried about it till I had issues with the IMA not working from overheating.

Not sure why the pictures turned out so big...sorry for anyone with slow internet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How does the CFM rating compare to the original fans specs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I guess you CAN put a square muffin fan into a round hole.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does the CFM rating compare to the original fans specs.
Stock fan is 103CFM and the Delta fan I purchased is 148. Not a MASSIVE improvement, but a decent one.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
You know how the first column of battery sticks are wrapped in an extra layer of plastic? I was thinking a while back, that maybe they're wrapped like that because they're the closest to the inlet air - so they'd probably experience cooler air than the rest of the sticks. Maybe the wrap is there to insulate them slightly, to keep them closer to the temperature of the rest of the sticks?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know how the first column of battery sticks are wrapped in an extra layer of plastic? I was thinking a while back, that maybe they're wrapped like that because they're the closest to the inlet air - so they'd probably experience cooler air than the rest of the sticks. Maybe the wrap is there to insulate them slightly, to keep them closer to the temperature of the rest of the sticks?
I haven't gotten into the pack far enough to discover that yet. I guess that would be my guess as to why they did that. But, do any of the aftermarket (Bumble Bee, Hybrid Revolt, etc.) do the same thing to that first row of sticks?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I don't think they do, but only because I don't think they've ever thought about the temperature idea... People were asking about that extra plastic maybe 4 years ago, and I haven't seen an answer since, no mention of temperature...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi, how has the fan held up still alive and working better than the oem?

I want to follow your post as my "guide" to upgrade the stock oem fan.

You said that the cfm is slightly better than the oem and thats what im really looking for. My fan is 8 years old and never cleaned so im sure its not doing good cooling at all and summer is rolling in.

hope to hear back soon thanks :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I actually removed all my IMA components almost a year ago. For the year or so that I had the fan on my pack it worked very well, I never had any overheating problems. The fan still works, I just no longer use it for a battery cooling fan.

I definitely would recommend it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just followed this thread and did the same thing for my fan that was not working and overheating during grid charging. The new fan works great. I got a slightly different model, but it was also a 120 x 38mm fan with 2 wires. Cost about $18 from Amazon and I had to trim it just like in the pictures (I used a side grinder, and drill to enlarge the bolt holes). It appears to be working great and the battery is functioning much better now. Thank you to the original poster for the awesome step-by-step instructions and photos!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts