Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

it was May 2017 and finally we got to England!
It was quite a distance from south Germany but it was worth it. :)

So what can i tell you guys and gals!? If you got a bad/old batt stack in your Insight and you are in the reach of Peter just visit him!
He is a nice guy with a LOT of experience! All the "work" took maybe 2 hours. Included of course a lot of talking!!!
Of course i was the "slave" and the "helping hand" but Peter knows every bolt, every trick, every screw in the back of the Insight.

Peter is like "Yoda"! He just knows stuff!!!
I also got a IMAC&C P&P from him. The installation is simple. Just connect it to the ODBIIC&C, update the software and thats`s it.
The new battery, the IMAC&C P&P changed my Insight!!! This is a diferent car now. More power for MUCH longer! That`s something you don`t wanna miss any more. The IMAC&C P&P is something you get addicted to!
Until now i do have the little joystick hanging loose into the cabin but i can operate it if i want.

I thought about installing it into my stearing wheel but i guess it will be installed to the lower part of the central column of the car.
At the moment i still don`t have the exact plan how to do it and where exactely to place it. My main problem is how to get the little circuit board on wich the joystick is mounted properly in place. It has to be very tightly/rigidly put in place because i will be operating this system a LOT in the future.
If there is some guys out there with some installation ideeas i`ll be glad to hear/see them.

I don`t want to bore you all to death that`s why i close this post with a big "THANK YOU PETER"!
It was a pleasure to meet you! All the BEST for you!

Best of wishes from Zeno!

·
Administrator
11,783 Posts
You are welcome. Nice to meet you both...

Joystick is always a bit tricky...
I'm sure you will come up with a good solution.
Please post it when you do...

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car workes well till today. The only thing i noticed from this winter on were some negative recals.
That´s why i activated my dicharger unit and i mounted a connector to my charging whire.
I will start with min. 120V --> recharging than i see what happens. I hope that the "old" capacity will come back...
Otherwise i am very happy with the ODBII C&C even if it´s outdated.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are my newest experiences with a loading cicle (unload and load).
Unloading was done with the device from Peter and loading with peter´s grid charging unit.
I began with the unloading at 17X BVO at 9 o´clock in the evening and i wanted to get to 12x BVO and than start loading.

Unloading log:
9PM - 17x BVO
12PM - 147 BVO
next morning 6AM - 64 BVO (here i got scared because it should have been arround 120 BVO) o_Oo_Oo_O

6AM - 64 BVO
6PM - 13x BVO
6PM (next day) 13x BVO

Now i drove the car a bit to see what happens.
At the start my ODBIIC&C said SOC 2x %
I drove approx. 15Min and forced the car to load the battery and now SOC is at 84% and 17x BVO. The car does allow only little regen now and the cars SOC says 100%.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will see tomorrow how long there will be assist. Tomorrow i´m on the highway and i will test everything. :)
Could i somehow check the BVO while charging with the built in gridcharger? I don´t think so...
Could i simply turn on the ignition and read the voltage from the ODBIIC&C...!?

·
Administrator
11,783 Posts
No don't do that..

You need a cheap independent voltmeter to monitor charging voltage.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a voltmeter (like the one on the discharging unit) but how can i measure the voltage?

·
Administrator
11,783 Posts
Carefully connect the voltmeter to the points where the charger connects to the battery.

Wear rubber gloves.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, but the charger´s one end is in the wall and the other end is hidden in the battery compartment :)
With other words/did i understand well!?: the full HV Battery Power is now at the soket end of the charger?
Its just dangling in the trunk of the car, i guess i will isolate it now.
(If my car is not burned to a piece of aluminium powder...)

·
Administrator
11,783 Posts
If you want to measure the IMA battery voltage you have to access the battery or the charger output.

It sounds like you are unsure, so I suggest you don't do it.

We don't want anything lost in translation.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing gets lost in translation, now i understood what you meant!
And YES, i will NOT open the battery compartment. That´s sure!

I will see how the battery does tomorrow and if its a bit off i have to do this cicle of unload and load once more time. (You wrote 1X/3month i know)

PS. I hope the unloading to 60Volt didn´t harm the battery...:unsure:

·
Administrator
11,783 Posts
You can open the battery compartment if you are confident and careful.

I unload (discharge) batteries to 0V...

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday was an interresting day...! :) The Battery is definitely more alive than before! In the city i had a negative recal again.

Today at noon i started another unload/load cicle and this time i do a timelapse of it. The monitoring will be much more accurate. BVO was (engine off discharger on) 156Volt at 12:00 and 30 Min ago it was at 146Volt. So 10 Volt in 3 Hours of discharge. I am curius to see how long the discharge process will be this time.

Link to the video will follow as soon as it exists. :)

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Short update!
After 6hours of discharge, the battery voltage is at 136Volt. Compared with my first discharge attempt, that is a SIGNIFICANT slowing down of discharging!
Next update in 6 hours... ;)

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After 48 hours of charging this was the result.
I really don´t know what to think of all of this.Is our grid power to low? :unsure:

The battery was "empty" after restarting the car. I drove a bit (10-15km) and waited for a positiv recal which never came.
Than i started to force the car to charge and it charged the battery to full status quite soon.
The only instant jump i noticed was from 164Volt to 175Volt. (While driving and charging)

·
Administrator
11,783 Posts
I would expect your battery voltage to be a lot higher just after grid charging.
Is your charger actually working?
Can you measure the battery voltage with a meter when it is charging?
Can you measure the current it is delivering?

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To be honest, i expected that as well.
Is my charger working!? When i plug the whire into the power supply the ventilator starts to turn and thats a sign for me that it´s working.
Ok, so i have to open the battery compartment up. Something i wanted to avoid because elektricity is a bit alien to me.

As i told you, i have a multimeter but first i have to have a look how to open the compartment and what to take care of...:cautious:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts