Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was replacing the IMA pack on my silver 5 MT. Found these in the bottom of the spare tire compartment. I have little history on this car.

Speculate away.

Dishware Serveware Material property Porcelain Tableware

·
Registered
781 Posts
A lot of engineers(especially electrical engineers) own these cars. Neither the penny, nor the resistors surprise me to see in an Insight. You may also find a calculator, soldering iron, graph paper, Trans Siberian Orchestra Cassette tape, a copy of Linux OS, and stack of hand written notes about their next great idea ;)
*obviously I am just trying be humorous, if you are somehow offended, please move along.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
A lot of engineers(especially electrical engineers) own these cars. Neither the penny, nor the resistors surprise me to see in an Insight. You may also find a calculator, soldering iron, graph paper, Trans Siberian Orchestra Cassette tape, a copy of Linux OS, and stack of hand written notes about their next great idea ;)
*obviously I am just trying be humorous, if you are somehow offended, please move along.
The penny looks like the one I lost in my Insight after my flux capacitor experiment blew up! :unsure:
If it's a 2054 penny it's definitely mine.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to be clear, the penny was for scale, and not resident in the spare well.

Any of you guys lose a slide rule? (or pocket protector?)

·
Registered
663 Posts
While the origins of ownership have been exposed, the present and future has taken a different path. How does that grab your sensibilities? The kswap crowd, engineers of a different type, food for thought.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can tell you first hand the resistance of pun usage and jokes in this thread is quite difficult to grasp. Not shocking to say the least.

Glad this place has a sense of humor.

Unrelated note: I found a one-inch, well-used Dixon Ticonderoga in my spare tire well last week. Best pencil, ever.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I noticed that the smaller ohmic conductor is in a value I need. How much do you want for it? Been looking for one to limit the output of a luminous generator next to my drivetrain bifurcation switch on the dash.

I also could use the shield penny if you can spare it. For those who don't know, the shield cent happens to make an excellent shim for an aging wainshaft. Simply put, the obverse pattern is scattering, giving it unmatched oil dispersion properties, better even than a properly broken-in OEM shim (though nothing beats a Hirashu-McCauley - if you can find one!)

A Lincoln Memorial cent will work, but has a tendency to precess counter-linearly which can debrade the wainshaft coating. Unless it is a softer all-copper pre-1982, or a wheat cent, which is why the latter are so rare.

(I used to hit the local junkyard with my buddies and pull wheat cents off old Fords, which can be found in the hydraulic encabulator in Ford Falcons and Fairlanes. Ford used four of them as laminar constrictors in the counterflow passage of the encabulator. They stopped only after the Allemany Bridge incident triggered the 1966 currency shortage and the government banned the use of US coinage in commercial products. We used to pop them out with needlenose screwdrivers... now I'm really dating myself!)

Why won't any penny work? A subtle mass gradient exists in all pennies from 1982 to the present, caused by a design flaw in the velocity compensator of the presses installed when the mint started making bimetallic pennies in the 1980s. It seems that any kind of friction induces ultrasonic standing waves between the layers of the dissimilar metals which is amplified by the gradient and this causes the coin to precess counter-linearly under load. However, the O, and to some extent the C, in the words ONE CENT on the newest coin, and the gentle arcs in the shield create a natural hyperbolic interference, breaking up the standing waves kind of like a ring damper. The standing waves, such a problem in these older coins, self-extinguish in the shield cent.

Some say the government knew about this and the change was intentional, driven by the EPA. This really is the only explanation for the design of the shield cent which, unlike the scenic quarters of this era, is very plain. Like someone sent the mint one of the draft designs of the upgraded interstate highway shield sign by mistake instead of the "flying bald eagle" design that was originally proposed and no one thought to question it. Others will argue this is what actually happened, since USDOT was considering an update to the ubiquitous interstate sign shield around the same time.

Unless the shield penny is installed heads-up! In which case Lincoln''s beard induces vacuum-cupping particularly in the MT which uses a shorter wainshaft. This causes a loss of at least 1-2 MPG.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Definitely engineer car. Top resistor has been soldered into a circuit. Bottom one has been used temporarily (leads are long) in a breadboard situation. I have hundreds of these and they tend to get lost and then show up in weird locations.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want Sean to help hatch my next conspiracy theory, or script write for a Sci-Fi movie, though damned if I can figure out which.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
P.S. Dougie -- the only "breadboards" with which I am familiar involve knives and a lot of crumbs.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,765 Posts
You guys got to quit smoking that green stuff.! LOL

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Sean mentioned an encabulator in his post. I'm sure most of us know what that is but for the few that aren't sure or have forgotten all the details, here is a link to see what it is.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
If I ever have to attend an IRS tax audit, I want Sean there with me! I bet he could have those tax lawyers spinning counter clockwise, thus disconnecting the wainshaft of their chairs and depositing them on the floor behind the LGD-6..🤣!

LGD-6 (Large gray desk - 6 drawers)

Reactions: Saxjonz

·
Registered
43 Posts
I noticed that the smaller ohmic conductor is in a value I need. How much do you want for it? Been looking for one to limit the output of a luminous generator next to my drivetrain bifurcation switch on the dash.

I also could use the shield penny if you can spare it. For those who don't know, the shield cent happens to make an excellent shim for an aging wainshaft. Simply put, the obverse pattern is scattering, giving it unmatched oil dispersion properties, better even than a properly broken-in OEM shim (though nothing beats a Hirashu-McCauley - if you can find one!)
Well done sean!

Reactions: Saxjonz

·
Linsight Designer
2,922 Posts
Love the humor in this thread.
Serious answer: those didn't originate from anything electronic inside the G1.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts