Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, I've had this black plastic SRS Unit cover floating around my Insight for a while. Thought it came off the passenger side airbag unit when I was working on the stereo, but now I see it's the wrong size to have fit there.

It's black plastic, with a bottom (or top) about 7" x 5", and three sides about an inch high. Inside it has stamped the following:
HONDA
S2G >PP<
77963-
S2G-0000
COVER SRS-UNIT

I Googled it and only got a hit on some Russian site I can't read. Remotely possible it came out of my '95 Prelude (now sold) - or somewhere out of the Insight (mine's a 2000).

Any idea where this is from?

- Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
SRS cover

It's most likely the cover over the SRS cpu unit.The unit is in front of the console mounted on the floor it protects the unit from spills caused by the cup holders.

·
Registered
364 Posts
SRS Cover

Yes, it's the SRS Cover, goes under the shifter console like you said. John, I've had issues with getting correct part numbers with Majestic. Found a place that gives accurate numbers, took awhile to find, San Leandro Honda Online. http://www.slhondaparts.com/ Why almost all places give inaccurate part numbers may just be a selfish thing, the part number is useless unless you buy the part from them. I have referenced San Leandro's part numbers in the past, they have always been accurate. Jack

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh - well it doesn't appear to go anywhere in my Insight. There just doesn't seem to be a place that it belongs and _isn't_. Are we talking in that gap forward of the shifter console, and below the dash, where you can poke your hand thru from one side to the other, or _inside_ the shifter console somewhere?

Maybe someone can post a digital pic of where it's supposed to go? 'cause I just can't figure it out!

- Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm - from the picture it looks like it goes on the floor, but there's nothing there. I think maybe it's flipped in the picture, and actually mounts under the dash. Anyway, I've got a bunch of audio cable running through there so I think I'll just leave it out.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I'd spend a bit more time trying to figure it out Bob. :)

It can act as a splash shield, preventing water etc. from entering. Yah, its farely well protected back there, but a bit of snow off a boot or an unexpected panic stop does sling liquids around in unexpected ways.

It wouldn't take much in just the wrong spot to cause the SRS computer to fail ($$$). And Honda wouldn't have gone to the trouble or expense of making such a part if such a failure wasn't an eventuality (YMMV).

HTH! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts