Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this mystery part in a junk box unrelated to my Insight. No markings on it whatsoever.

Any electronics guys have a guess? My hunch is it’s a high-watt heat radiating resistor. Might this be helpful in building a discharger?

Gas Auto part Circle Machine Engineering

·
Registered
insight 2006 MT insight 2005 MT
83 Posts
yes it is a high-watt heat radiating resistor

it would be necessary to take the photo with a tape measured a unit to give an idea of the size and to guest de watt capacity.
Measuring the resistance with an ohm meter is also necessary to know if it can be used to discharge the battery.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yes it is a high-watt heat radiating resistor
Thanks. The brown barrel of the resistor is slightly larger diameter and slightly longer than an AA battery.

Resistance per my digital multimeter set at 200 is 1.2 ohms, though it continues to climb slightly the longer you leave it connected for measurement.

Being more of a mechanic than a theorist, I have no idea what this means. 🤪 I tend to be pretty cautious of the idea of hooking up 150 volts to a unknown doohickey. I have some old 12v batteries around and might start with them just to experiment.

- Park

·
Registered
insight 2006 MT insight 2005 MT
83 Posts
do not connect this resistor on 140V with a value of 1.2 ohm, it would be the equivalent of a short circuit.
On 12V it would charge 10A and dissipate 120W, which is clearly more than the resistance can dissipate in my opinion
Rémy

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do not connect this resistor on 140V with a value of 1.2 ohm, it would be the equivalent of a short circuit.
On 12V it would charge 10A and dissipate 120W, which is clearly more than the resistance can dissipate in my opinion
Rémy
Kinda what I guessed. It would be way exciting!

This will make a good prop in my mad scientist’s lab for Halloween, though.

Thanks!

Park

·
Linsight Designer
2,791 Posts
FYI: To measure resistances that low you'll need to do a 4-wire resistance measurement. The bottom swing contact is to bypass the resistor. Looks like something for railroad signaling.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mystery solved! This came with a 1970s era Sears-Penske auto analyzer kit, and was used in testing alternators.

Not helpful for my Insight, but still nifty.

- Park

1 - 7 of 7 Posts