Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a little while back during my previous search for a used Insight.

Some of my circumstances have changed, I'm about to accept a good job, I'll be leaving my small Mississippi town that's only a few miles from end to end, and I'll likely be assigned in Houston. Add to that that the Insight is officially discontinued.

I was pretty set on a used Insight (I always buy used), but I checked with a dealer, and he's telling me he can get me the color I want (blue), manual transmission '06 in about 4-6 weeks, for $22,800 out the door including tax/title, with only $1,000 down to order it.

I've seen the gas savings calculations here, but it's about more than that for me: the environmental statement, the uniqueness, getting a rare car right as it's discontinued, the gadgety nature...

I've never spent more than 4k on a car, so I obviously haven't bought new before either, so I'm trying to think this through real good before I dive in. I could use either a little push, or any thoughts some of you long-time Insight owners could share. Yay or nay?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Yes, jump on that deal if it's really a brand new 2006 with manual trans. It would be your last chance to get a new one! Many of us would be very jealous.......it is an amazing car and if you drive it for maximum mpg, you will never regret your decision to buy.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Buy a used Insight for half that price.
It's a very reliable car!
For the sake of the environment you make less of an impact if you buy used.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guillermo said:
I would like to buy used, however, considering the usual motivation for the individuals who buy these, why else would they sell one unless it had a problem?

Plus, I can't seem to find a used manual transmission Insight anywhere (within an 8 drive).

When looking at Autotrader, I think those numbers dispute your claim of getting one for half the price, unless we're talking a 2000, or 2001 with more mileage than I would desire for warranty purposes. If I'm looking in the wrong place, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
New or used you will do well.

Guillermo and myself are Canadian, and perhaps second hand ones are cheaper here. (BTW All Canadian Insights are manual) Guillermo races on weekends and considering his mileage and the somewhat extreme Canadian climate, I think his comments about reliability carry a lot of weight. Since production has stopped I can't see how new or used would make a difference to the environment, as all Insights will likely get sold and resold and rebuilt until they get pieced out.

There will be a lot of surprised folk here if you can find a new one. 8)

If you can easily afford it and plan to keep it forever, (like some of us), I'd go for new.

If you plan to park it in questionable neighborhoods and/or replace it in 5 years or so, you might do better secondhand.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bout a usew '01, cause the closest new one with manual tranny, was 1900 miles away. I'd jump on it. Don't hesitate, you'll be gald you did.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Look at the for sale section of this forum:
There's a good possiblity there, freshly posted yesterday:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5564&highlight=

I bought my Insight used with 36,000 Km and now it has 159,000 km.
I've put over well over 3,000 km of pure hard core track lapping and racing with the car using racing tires and nothing has broken.

My only failures occur off season... LOL
I had to get the thermostate replaced last year.
The secondary oxygen sensor replaced last year.
And my primary oxygen sensor requires replacing within the next few days. This is very in-significant for a 2000 car with this milieage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there advantages to any particular year Insight? I heard there was a computer upgrade around '02 or '03.

No matter what combination of words I used, I was still getting 50 pages of results to look through. If I had a range of year model Insights to pick from, aside from favorign a newer car, are there any other general considerations I should have regarding specific years?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Naturally the later the model year the more years will be left on the IMA warranty. Personally I'd go with 03 to 06 for that reason and the fact that there were no upgrades after 03. What is more important is the condition of the car. The lifetime mileage indicator may give you an indication of how it was driven and the paint/dents may give you an idea how it was loved. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guillermo said:
Well, I'm taking the Canadian's advice ;) . I did some looking, and the second day of my search, a blue manual Insight popped up with moderately low miles. I've already got a deposit down on it, and I'm selling my Del Sol to get it. I get to pick it up next weekend, and I've never been this excited to drive 900 miles back home...

The car has a transferrable, extended warranty to 100k miles, so I feel pretty confident in the purchase. Adult owned, selling only because she had a baby. That said, it's a 2002, with mileage in the high 70k's. What should I be especially on the lookout for before I pay and drive away? Feel free to name obvious items, I want to be thorough about this. :D

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,960 Posts
Selling car

What's the details on your Del Sol?

Willie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts