1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a windshield for my 03 insight, and around $170 is the best
price I can find for a new one.
If anyone knows where I can find a used one cheaper, please contact me!
Currently, it's just a crack that extends about 4 inches or so on the passenger side, so I'm no hurry to find a new window.

·
Registered
804 Posts
That sounds like a reasonable price, because a few years ago, I paid $250 to replace the windshield on my 1988 CRX HF.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Atheos:

___That sounds like a great price. Mine was scheduled for a replacement just 2 days ago but the price quoted (first $280, then $350, and then > $500 w/ clips…) became to high so I balked. Let me know as it might be worth the trip down there if it’s a local only place.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3sm8fe0w][email protected][/email:3sm8fe0w]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thats cheap! I was right around $200 for mine from Glass Pro (I think I had a little bit of a disscount too). Also, there are 14 clips under the plastic trim pieces that run on each side of the window and half way up the roof that will be destroyed in the removal process. These will run you around $50 from the dealership to replace unfortunately. They don't fully reattach properly if you don't get new ones.

Also consider just the windshield from Honda will run you over $400, thank goodness for aftermarket windshields.

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm certainly glad I asked about this, cause I had no idea about the clips. I'm going to replace it myself, so that would have caused me a ton of grief since I only have time to do this kind of stuff on the weekends when the parts dept is likely closed.
I'm probably going to wait a few months, and try to locate a used one.
Each salvage yard I've called so far has no insights in their inventory, so I'll hold out for someone to wreck their insight locally :wink: (joking!)

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it is just a 4" crack, why don't you just get it 'fixed', where they inject it with epoxy or somthing to stop the crack from spreading. It cost about $40 to have done the last time I checked.

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't fix them if the crack extends to the edge of the glass.
The crack is now about half way through my windshield, so I won't
be waiting as long as I was planning to do the replacement :?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Atheos:

___You have probably already replaced your windscreen but if you haven’t as well as those that will go through this in the near future, the part numbers for the clips are as follows:

(2) 91511-S3Y-003 Clip-FR- List: $5.53 Net: 3.84
(14) 91503-S3Y-003 Clip-FR- List: $3.79 Net: $2.63

Total for the clips comes to $44.50 + tax.

___I have to thank Rick (Moderator) for his description as that is what led the manager of the parts department at Rosen Honda here in Gurnee, IL. to find exactly what I needed. Rick, I actually gave Bill (the parts manager) the 2 url’s you posted into and he followed up from them. This is a great Honda store even though they have never sold a Hybrid that I remember.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3p4jy260][email protected][/email:3p4jy260]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Something I've been wondering: are the aftermarket windscreen replacements also low-e coated like the OEMs?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Hi Atheos,

did you replace the windshield yourself or did you end up hiring someone? I think my car is doing the same thing: There was a short crack starting from the lower passenger-side corner a week ago. On Wednesday, it grew to about 10 inches! Now it's slowed down and only grew 1/2" since then. Maybe it's related to my accident, although it didn't show up until 5 months after putting the car back on the road.

I'm a little concerned about some ignorant glass shop messing up my car! How easy/hard is it to do myself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
From watching the glas pro guy do mine I wouldn't tackle it on my own. The removal of the trim pieces perhaps, but not the windshield itself. You have to first remove the plastic trim pieces that are on either side of the windshield that go up half way along the roof. This requires breaking the plastic clips that are underneath it. You'll also need a new black rubber trim piece that goes along the top of the windshield (~$10-15), the guy was actually suprised how well it actually held it's shape after removing the old one and said he could reuse it, but I had already bought the new one and figured might as well.

To get the windshield itself out you have to cut through the cement that holds it in. The service manual shows this being done with piano wire, but they had a razor blade setup which seemed to cut right through it pretty well. This was the part that kinda of got me unsettled. Then once the windshield is removed they have to scrape away all the old cement, and that stuff will hold anything... I have a tube of it now. The new windshield cement has to be heated up to at least 200 degrees before it will flow properly and it has to be spread evenly and quickly, they place the new windshield on the car and work it in to the proper position then put the whole thing back together. I would think if you didn't get it just right you'd probably end up with air leaking through the outer edges of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Rick said:
I would think if you didn't get it just right you'd probably end up with air leaking through the outer edges of the windshield.

Spoken like an Insighter from a desert climate. <g> In the rest of the country a poorly sealed windshield usually results in a water leak :!: :D

As Ricky well outlined, its a difficult DIY.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Need a windshield

Well, Insight Central saved me again. I have a large crack in the windshield. Called the glass company and they sent out a guy two days later. He had the windshield (Good PPG unit) but did not know about the clips. I didn't either until I looked here while he started. I was able to stop him in time so I can still drive while waiting for them to arrive.
Thanks again guys!.

Moral: Always check here first before having any work done on your car
Rusty

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm glad after 6 years, I found this site. BTW, guitar strings (Electric G String) will work as well as a piano one, and I assume MUCH cheaper.

I'm thinking I will get my chips fixed before any of them start to crack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts