Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone;

my compressor is dead and i bought a rebuilt one. planned to buy charging system (i have a vacuum pump already) to do things myself. However, after some reading:

people say it is important to flush the system first. in order to do it, i have to disassemble everything. and they say that both radiators are not really flushable and have to be replaced. those are money but i will survive the expense. simply a limited job turns into a major project. what are your opinions?

Also, it is fall and i am thinking to just bypass the a/c for now using a shorter belt. will it be harmful?

thanks for your advice

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,716 Posts
You don't flush the system, you vacuum everything out.
Reinstall the proper amount of lubricant and then charge the system.

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Why did you need to replace the compressor? Was it an internal issue, did it lock up, not developing enough pressure?

Of course you need to vacuum the air out to make sure it does not leak, then fill with oil and 134a.

Now if you had the black death where the compressor came apart and micro particles are all inside the system in the form of a black soot like you need to use a liquid flush and an air hose to blow it around. Dont forget a new receiver/dryer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is a new car for me, and i bought it from a garage where it was sitting outside for nearly a year, as i know now. I guess the result was rusted bearings. they produced an increasingly grinding noise and finally started to lock down the belt.

the garage charged the system and tested it was not leaking but in a week now it produce no cool air. I think the compressor is to blame, do you agree?

i already have a rebuilt compressor and ordered a dryer today. the compressor's instructions insist the system has to be disassembled and flushed. should i ignore this?
http://www.teamec.be/cms_files/Flushing and Cleaning(EN).pdf
suggests flushing is important

what do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
I recently replaced the electric/mechanical compressor on my HCH2 (a horrible experience). I helped a friend replace his compressor on his 92 accord. Yeah... 92. Fortunately, it already had an R-134a conversion.

On neither system did I flush. Flushing is a pain in the ***. If you see no evidence of a black-ish or grey tinge to what little fluid you have in the compressor, you probably don't need to flush.

I have a new rule. Before replacing ANYTHING in an A/C system, check it for leaks. First, try vacuum. If it doesn't hold, try a little refrigerant with dye and see if you can find the leak. The aforementioned 92 accord didn't need a new compressor. I relied on my friend's expertise. We spent an ungodly amount of time getting to that compressor and replacing... only to find we had a leak somewhere. We finally traced it down to the o-ring in the fitting at the condenser... about $6 for a complete o-ring kit would have fixed the system. Instead, he dropped over $200, and we spent about 8 hours on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts