Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, just signed up and started digging through the forums recently. Lots of great info!

I've owned several Hondas over the years but never a hybrid.

I'm looking at buying a used gen 1 Insight within the next couple of days and was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what potential problems to look for?

This is the description they have listed for it:

2001 Honda Insight Hybrid
1.0L Motor
109k miles
56 MPG (GAS SAVER)
Stick Shift 5 speed
Cold A/C
Hot heat
Bucket seats
2 seater
Hatchback
Tinted windows
New tires all the way around
Power locks
Power windows
Super fun to drive
Rare car only 15,000 made
1 owner
No issues
Clean title

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
447 Posts
You do not say where you are and have not said what the price is being asked. This could be a very good buy. There may be some gurus in you are who could advise or possibly help you.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
dj:

Definately worth updating your profile with your general location. As boojum mentioned, there might be a G1 owner near you to lend some advice.

Here's a link to a list prepared by many that I updated some time ago, to highlight some things to look for and ask about.

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Got a link?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I will give him a day or so to buy it or not and then post the link
Terrible pictures, but here's a few

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Thanks, guess it is yours right now?

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Do all Insights separate at the pass fender to fascia attachment point?
NO, only those where the strakes have been "hooked" over a parking curb.

It isn't a fatal fault, but may require the replacement of some anchors and screws.

·
Registered
323 Posts
NO, only those where the strakes have been "hooked" over a parking curb.
It isn't a fatal fault, but may require the replacement of some anchors and screws.
Have there been any threads showing the best way to fix the problem?
I am not sure of what terms to use in a site search
Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks
There are 2 screws that fasten into expanding plastic inserts that hold the bumper to the fender. Mine were both pulled out and I had great luck with just removing the screws and reinserting them, but if that fails you may need to purchase the 2 plastic inserts. You can get to these by removing the bottom of the wheel well liner and pulling it out enough to get a screwdriver back there, pretty easy once you start.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Thanks

Use such search terms as "torn front bumper, hooked strakes, loose front bumper." There a number of threads, but I see just below a post which outlines the fix. You also need to check the bumper cover attachment fasteners. The bottom ones may have been torn loose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry. I didn't have notifications turned on so I just saw the replies.

I am in SW Louisiana.

Foos is correct. That's the one I'm looking at, I'm headed there now. I intend on buying it but if I don't I'll let everyone know.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm new to the forum, just signed up and started digging through the forums recently. Lots of great info!

Are you good working on your own car? IE. Take dash apart to fix buttons, taking hatch lock apart, etc.

If not, an Insight is not a good fit for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dj:

Definately worth updating your profile with your general location. As boojum mentioned, there might be a G1 owner near you to lend some advice.

Here's a link to a list prepared by many that I updated some time ago, to highlight some things to look for and ask about.

Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Are you good working on your own car? IE. Take dash apart to fix buttons, taking hatch lock apart, etc.

If not, an Insight is not a good fit for you.
Yep! Been doing it my whole life :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So if don't find anything wrong with it besides the separation on the front bumper is $3,000 a fair price or should I offer less?

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Why are you posting: 🙂

1 - 20 of 31 Posts