Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought an 2000 Insight from an auction with blown engine. Wher can I get a used low mileage engine? Longblock will be fine as I will be putting in the engine myself. Also looking for the rear wheel covers.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
engine

So what's "blown" in the engine?

Have you taken it apart yet? Pics would be good.

Willie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response. I have only got to look at the car 2 times since I got it. The first time I checked it out I lifted the hood and saw the valve cover off and the camshaft was broken 3/4 way down from the cam gear side. I then looked in the back of the car and saw what seemed to be the block girdle or block itself. I have not had enough time to research on the engine, but it seems that the block is made up of two pieces. Anyways it didn't look good. I do almost all my own mechanic work and looking at it for a little told me that a used engine would be my best option. I will take pics on Monday and post them. Now that I will see the engine internals exposed I might have to get into some special internal mods so that I can run some turbo boost like the (Red Rocket)!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
engine

Interesting!!!!!!
I haven't seen a broken cam shaft in many many years.
The "block" is one piece. If you can see the head under the hood, then the block can't be in the "trunk".

If it was mine, i'd be out there tearng it apart already.

How about adding your location to your profile, if you are not that far from me, I'd like to have a look.

Willie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Full Inspection Complete

I fully inspected the blown engine in the car. To start of the camshaft is broken, all 3 connecting rods broken, and a hole in the block on #3 cylinder. The only thing salvagable is the crank, block, misc assy.,and maybe cyl head. I was going to replace the engine but I'm going to turn the car into a drag race car and put a K20a out of a RSX type S. I found another Insight with low miles that I wil keep as a Hybrid. I will try to post pics of the damage soon. In the meantime anybody need a used IMA, trans, battery etc. 98,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
broken

About a year ago there was a guy in Miami who was installing an "electric turbo" on an Insight (dealer).

I had his web site on my favorites list (think I deleated it) and I think I posted some comments about the setup on the "turbocharged Insight" thread.

Basically it was a turbo spun by an electric starter motor.
Could this be the same vehicle? I'll do some more searching and see what I can find.

Back in 03 I inquired at a Honda dealership about the price of a "short block" and a long block, "JUST IN CASE".
I was quoted 1,500 for the short block and 3,000 for the long block.
Maybe I should check again...... :p

Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
broken engine

I would like some pictures of the broken items if possible. (For my scrapbook).

I would also like to purchase the broken camshaft and one complete broken rod.

PM me and I'll send my personal E mail address for the pictures.

Can't find the info on the "electric turbo", guess I deleted it from my "favorites." I'll check with Jackmpg, we discussed the information at length.

Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
engine

Jim, you are correct.
Thanks for refreshing this old mans brain.

I even had his location drawn up from "Mapquest" and Jackmpg and I had intended to visit him this year. (His business is only avaliable "on appointment"?)

But instead I went to the "Hybrid Fest" in NY. That was more fun.

If my memory is correct, apparently from one of his posts, he was putting the Insight up for sale.
Also a complete history probably can be found in "Carfax".
(Inquiring minds want to know)

I've seen a lot of engines "blow up" from various causes, boost, nitro, etc., with major damage, but 100% of the rods going?

Thanks.......Willie

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
zeenman1
I will be pulling the engine and tranny out of a rolled 2000 Insight that only had ~40K on it, sometime next week. We are mainly interested in the tranny and the IMA motor for building a hybrid technician training demo of a 3 phase brushless motor.
The guy that owns the car had suggested we sell the engine (it runs fine) on e-bay.
Not sure what he would want or how you could get it, but if you change your mind about needing an engine, send me a PM, and I can connect you to the guy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts