Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a place to list my '04 Insight with a dead IMA? I can get $300 if I junk her, but her drive train is still good and other parts as well. It's my first time signing in here and figure if anyone can answer this question, y'all can! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Where are you? I'm interested! I have an '04 and have rescued a few already, and I can deal with a dead IMA (I refurbish them for my own use.)

If you are on the east coast, expand my signature below to find a "reach out" link to the Conversations feature of this site that will open a conversation with me (or just click your avatar on the top left and select Conversations). I'm not interested in parting out and reselling, but in bringing it back to life and having another car for my kids to drive.

If instead you want to post it for sale, there is a "For Sale" section here in the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you? I'm interested! I have an '04 and have rescued a few already, and I can deal with a dead IMA (I refurbish them for my own use.)

If you are on the east coast, expand my signature below to find a "reach out" link to the Conversations feature of this site that will open a conversation with me (or just click your avatar on the top left and select Conversations). I'm not interested in parting out and reselling, but in bringing it back to life and having another car for my kids to drive.

If instead you want to post it for sale, there is a "For Sale" section here in the forum.

Not sure if you will get this.
I'm in Massachusetts.
Could not find a link for "conversation".

I'm in Massachusetts.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Please don't junk this one, I'm sure someone will save it, what color is it, and how many miles?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Not sure if you will get this.
I'm in Massachusetts.
Could not find a link for "conversation".

I'm in Massachusetts.
I will reach out via a conversation.

·
Super Moderator
9,302 Posts
For conversations, click your avatar at top right. You'll see the conversations tab there.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,078 Posts
If things don't work out with Sean, I am definitely interested. I love the CVTs and can't drive a stick (bum knee). I too am not interested in parting it out and would keep it on the road.

Please know that you can pull under hood fuse #18 and drive without the IMA pack in gas only mode. This will continue to charge the 12V, but you will have a check engine light lit and reving the car above 4k will cause the brake and battery lights to come on. They will go out after a little bit.

The car won't pass inspection this way, but is plenty driveable. Mileage will suffer, but not in the extreme. Low end torque is a little wanting, but, if you use S mode on the steering wheel for traffic light starts you can overcome that.

Overall, I find the CVT much more driveable than the 5 MT with a dead pack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Joule - with Sean's suggestion that I work with you to make this little car live again, I am wondering how far you are from Wendell, MA.
Your tips on driving without the IMA might make it possible to get her to a rendezvous. Here is a brief history of her recent collapse: check engine light has been on for maybe a month. Mechanic said it was a leak in the evap system somewhere and I could just keep driving the car. All went well - I haven't driven it much in the last 5-6 years, to be honest; just mostly in the summer - for a bit. Then the blasted rodents got into her heating fan and clogged it up with acorns. In trying to assess the fan situation I left the ignition key on "on" by accident. Next morning: dead car. I jumped it and left it running but stationary for quite a while and was surprised that it would not start again once turned off. Another jump and a drive up the way resulted in a death spiral of losing all electrical components as I guess I was driving on the weak 12V only. Just was able to park and get the window up in time before it completely conked.
I'm obviously not a mechanic. I bought this car new and it has been the best car I've ever owned. Only a new grandson has forced me to turn toward a vehicle with a back seat. I would love for this car to serve someone again.
Let me know if you are still interested and if you have any other questions.

·
Super Moderator
9,302 Posts
You now have 3 replies. With 4 posts you can post some pictures of interior and exterior of car. That usually stirs up some interest. If you just click the little "mountain and sun" icon in bottom middle of compose screen you can then click and drag photos into the post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If things don't work out with Sean, I am definitely interested. I love the CVTs and can't drive a stick (bum knee). I too am not interested in parting it out and would keep it on the road.

Please know that you can pull under hood fuse #18 and drive without the IMA pack in gas only mode. This will continue to charge the 12V, but you will have a check engine light lit and reving the car above 4k will cause the brake and battery lights to come on. They will go out after a little bit.

The car won't pass inspection this way, but is plenty driveable. Mileage will suffer, but not in the extreme. Low end torque is a little wanting, but, if you use S mode on the steering wheel for traffic light starts you can overcome that.

Overall, I find the CVT much more driveable than the 5 MT with a dead pack.
Joule, just out of curiosity, what is an MT?
And I did reply to your conversation. Hope you got it. Sent phone #.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,078 Posts
MT = Manual Transmission. Can't drive 'em anymore. My left knee can't abide the clutch.

I did see your response and replied. I'll make use of that phone number over the next few days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm interested w/o photos.
Well, ok, but full disclosure: there is some rain leaking into cabin from around doors, the mice have nested in the heater fan, and the body is somewhat rough. It was broadsided about 12 years ago. No bad damage, but it got a new door, driver's side. And of course it has a dead IMA. But I've driven it for all of its 165,000ish miles and it has big cohones for a little car. Still don't want pictures?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only if convenient to take them or you have them available already. I included a Monte Carlo Blue shot in the conversation.
I saw your picture and think my car might be a darker shade. Not sure. Is the color embedded in the vin? or the door plate info? If so, I can check it for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts