Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a ScanGage a month ago.

Problem is I can't find the place under the dash to plug it in. It's a 2000 5-speed Insight - anyone with this model installed a ScanGage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Scangauge

Think I saw the OBD II plug as I was installing my stereo this past weekend. If you look up under the center console on the driver side you'll see the open plug towards the front bottom left of the same plastic piece as the 12v power plug. Whew...it's probably more difficult to describe than to find.

Happy Hunting...

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the 2000 model (and only the 2000), the OBDII connector is on the passenger side in front of the console. The other years have the connector located under the dash on the drivers side.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You!

Sure enough, the 2000 Insight is different - looking under the dashboard was an exercise in futility. The connector was indeed inside the center console on the right side near the 12-volt outlet.

ScanGage is working - I just need to read the instructions to understand it all!

P.S. ScanGage II is out. Display is larger - box is smaller.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Thank You!

[/quote]P.S. ScanGage II is out. Display is larger - box is smaller.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up...I had been checking their site and was waiting for them to re-stock...the updated ones looks even better. Order placed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hooked my scangage up in my insight and found that it reads temps and rpm's ok but it can't accuratly read the MPG functions, totally lost fuel consumption. I don't have any MIL codes to read yet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
fklentz said:
I hooked my scangage up in my insight and found that it reads temps and rpm's ok but it can't accuratly read the MPG functions, totally lost fuel consumption. I don't have any MIL codes to read yet.
Are you aware that you have to enter in a corrective adjustment which you can do at every gas fillup? I think the scangage takes a reading of volume of gas being used per time period, but without the adjustment it can be off by quite a bit. I wish the documentation were a little thicker about this part.

There is a similar corrective adjustment that you should perform for the speed (typically by driving at the exact speed that it takes 1 minute to get from one mile marker to the next).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 3 vehicles that I used the scan gage on, a 2000 ford windstar, 2004 Titan and the insight. The ford and nissan all read accurately in the MPG function but the insight will read erratically and average 17 mpg. I understand that there is an adjustment that can be made to increase accuracy on fuel consumption but I can't see that helping on the insight. I just don't think the scan gage is capable of reading that data. Everything else is ok and I assume it will read malfunction codes when that does happen on the insight

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The Insight's lean burn capability makes it nearly impossible for the Scangauge to use a constant formula to factor in the fuel flow. When in lean burn, the air fuel ratio is so much leaner than a "normal" car and lean burn occurs at variable points in time. If the Insight was constantly in lean burn mode, that would be much easier for the Scangauge to account for.

Having said that, the Scangauge is a great tool. For my Insight I use it for resetting codes, coolant temp, throttle position, etc. I've had great success with it in other non-lean burn vehicles, but don't plan on using it for mpg or gas consumption in an Insight.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just got a Scangage II and thought that I would resurrect this thread...

My question(s) are;
1. Where did you mount it? I saw an inside mirror mounting 'thingy' on Ebay, but the SGII doesn't seen to fit easily above the Insights mirror. I have it temporarily jammed 'tween the dash and the drivers "A' pillar. It's a bit cock-eyed there, but it stays easily.

2. What gages do you display most often? I'm using water temp. and intake air temp. due to the cold weather and my engine mods. I vary the other two displays... mostly MAP, IGN, and Open/closed loop.

3. Because the Insight has an excellent MPG display, is it worthwhile to setup the SGII trip functions?...I understand that due to the lean burn and autostop that this gage can't really be reality based. It is nice that it gives a relative reading of less that the Insight bargraph, and this is somewhat helpful for mpg purposes

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I found that setting the engine size to .8 liters on my ScangageII gives me an amazingly accurate instant mileage reading. However... using the tank fill-up was an excersice in futility, and threw everything else off. So I reset the thing to default values and don't bother with miles to empty or mileage per tank calculations (which I do in my head or with my trusty calculator on fill-up anyhow). I do use the water temp and the voltage settings, but I have not dug deeply into the instruction manual as of yet. Be patient with me... Coool little gadget... :D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I didn't want to mount it permanently, and I have a dash cover... so I plugged in the sensor under the steering wheel, routed the cable above the steering wheel (pushed it into the gap, it hides the cable well), down above the cubby, opened the door and routed the cable up to and under the dash cover, brought the plug out through the defroster vent opening, and plugged it into the back of the ScangageII. Then I put a little hook-side Velcro© under the ScangageII and settled it just to the right of the dash mound, where it looks almost (almost!) level to my aging eyes. Right in the line of sight. My Beloved and I still argue about the correct color match of the screen (there are dozens of possibilities), but I like the the one I chose, I just couldn't begin to describe the setting, because it took almost ten minutes of trial-and-error to try and match the dash color. Not quite a fun time, but not quite a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, either. :oops:

I'm not very concerned about theft in my normal environments, but if I were so concerned, I would cover it with a cloth or even just toss a gimme cap over it when I leave the car. 8)

Mounting the plug on the back along with the Velcro© makes a kind of a very secure little tripod-type mounting, it works well for me and I can immediately remove it when I need the Scangage for a wayward member of the fleet. :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
boogetyboogety
I found that setting the engine size to .8 liters on my ScangageII gives me an amazingly accurate instant mileage reading. However... using the tank fill-up was an excersice in futility, and threw everything else off
On my initial setting I had engine size at 1 liter, and put in a +25% correction on tank fill-up. I think that I maybe sharing your exercise in fultility. I have since changed engine size to .8 liter as suggested, and I am continuing the calibration.

Have you corrected any speedometer error yet, & if so, by how much?

I have also cleared a P1540 trouble code, which was a high voltage climate control issue (I think). I'm waiting to see if it returns.

Have you noticed fuel usage (.1 or .2GPH) during metric fuel cut mode?
The SGII is saying that the Honda FCD is inaccurate. Curious. :?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
On my initial setting I had engine size at 1 liter, and put in a +25% correction on tank fill-up. I think that I maybe sharing your exercise in fultility. I have since changed engine size to .8 liter as suggested, and I am continuing the calibration.

I never tried recalibrating. Hmmmmm... something else for me to ponder...

Have you corrected any speedometer error yet, & if so, by how much?

No, my speedo is dead-on. Curiously... on level ground and the cruise on...

My Uniden radar detector with a GPS function will show 58-59mph, my Garmin will show 59 and won't vary, and the Insight speedo will show 60 simultaneously. The SCII agrees with the Garmin more often than not, but will vary the sped quicker than the Garmin can keep up (the Garmin lags a second or one-and-a-half for accurate speed). I tend to trust $12,000,000,000 worth of government equipment much more as an accurate speed measure than a $120 speedometer... :lol:

I have also cleared a P1540 trouble code, which was a high voltage climate control issue (I think). I'm waiting to see if it returns.

If I ever have a trouble code, I'm going to let my dealership reset it. I would feel better that way, rather than clearing some gremlin that may never return... Murphy was an optimist... :shock:

Have you noticed fuel usage (.1 or .2GPH) during metric fuel cut mode?
The SGII is saying that the Honda FCD is inaccurate. Curious.

No, I have not delved into the lower reaches of the SCII. I'll put it on my list (right now, we're having beautiful days, so I'm driving the 'vert). ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts