Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Orange County, California and will be working in North Hollywood (140 miles/day) for the next couple of years (I'm in construction management and work from a field office). I drove my Protege5 for a few months before deciding that I wanted something more comfortable for the long commute. I opted to buy a Chrysler 300m, and though I adore the car, I am averaging around 20mpg on my drive, which is killing me with this lovely $2.70/gallon gas. Doing the math, I spend almost $20/day on my commute.

The good news is that my company pays me for my mileage, but I recognize that I could be bringing in much more money if I were driving a more fuel efficient vehicle.

I have to admit that I'd prefer a prius, but I'm not the kind of person to pay over invoice for something, and the idea of a nice $10,000 used hybrid is appealing to me. I worked for Honda back in 2000 and remember liking the insight when they first came out, so it's a good choice for me at this point.

Looking for a used insight, are there certain things I should look out for? Also, I've read through the FAQ's on this site, and they have made me think twice about getting the CVT model, though I don't feel too anxious about driving a manual transmission through LA traffic every day (that's one of the reasons for buying the 300m). Can I really expect a good 10+mpg more with the manual? What about performance issues?

How cramped is the insight inside, really? I can't find anything near me to test drive, and back when I was at Honda I was a teenager, not as big as I am now. I will probably end up carpooling with a coworker as well. How's the ride?

I appreciate the help, I know this post was 90% rambling, but I'm bored in the office.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi iibbmm,

As an owner of a 5-speed Insight, I can only comment on the manual transmission, not the CVT.

5-speed = maximum miles per gallon. City driving can be tiresome with a stick shift, but what percentage of your drive is actually in the city? Go to http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/ and see what the 5-speeds are doing compared to a CVT.

Interior space: the car is small from the outside, but quite roomy on the interior. I'm only 5' 7", so it's a good fit for me. Just duck your head getting in! No joke.

Ride: Feels like my old RX-7's, tight with lots of road feel. Tires are pumped hard, feel everything. Sports car ride. Steering is very light, but it grows on you.

Regards,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info.

My drive to work is fairly smooth and will be in 5th gear almost the entire time... but my drive home is generally about 2 hours of driving in Los Angeles traffic.. which is why I'm aprehensive about going back to a stick shift.

·
Registered
473 Posts
iibbmm said:
thanks for the info.

My drive to work is fairly smooth and will be in 5th gear almost the entire time... but my drive home is generally about 2 hours of driving in Los Angeles traffic.. which is why I'm aprehensive about going back to a stick shift.
I can well understand, I live just north of you in the Riverside/Ontario area. I have only driven the 5-speed that I own, so I can't comment about the CVT, but the Insight 5-speed shifts sooooooo smoothly. I'm impressed. My commute doesn't put me in a lot of traffic however.

As far as comfort goes, I'm 6'1 275 and I'm quite comfortable inside. I love driving it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts