Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving car, IMA system is down and was driving it to the other side of the street becuqse I was going to check the flasher relay and my ac and radio turned off and dashboard started blinking on and off then it started jerking and I stopped and after that it didn’t turn in till after 15-20 minutes but then it would die again.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
191 Posts
Did you put your car into Gas only mode?

The IMA system works as the cars alternator via the DC-DC converter. There's no alternator on the car. Meaning that if your cars IMA system is having issues, your 12 volt battery will not be charged and will die on you while driving unless you put it into gas only mode.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea, with ima light on is the red battery light on? What happened is the ima motor/dc-dc converter isnt charging the battery anymore so your basically just running down the battery till it gets too low to run off of. You can put a charger on the battery like at 2amphours and bring it back but ultimately it’s just gonna drain it again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fall I didn’t know, then how are all these people driving their cars with the IMA light on and yes the battery red light is on
Search gas only mode. It will leave check engine lights and ima lights on but it will drive . There’s another circuit board you can buy and download someone’s program and wire it in place of the ima battery that will make the car think everything is ok and while in gas only mode and you won’t have check engine lights.

·
Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
67 Posts
If your IMA battery is not working you cant simply turn it off, you also have to unplug the BCM and MCM in order for the 12v battery to charge from the DC-DC converter. It will also only charge below 4000rpm, but it only stops charging for 30 or so seconds after exceeding 4000rpm and will resume normally if you let it go back to normal. I would also recommend checking, cleaning, and replacing any bad ground straps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the IMA is the alternator how does the 12v recharge in "gas-only" ?
The dc dc converter uses the ima motor to maintain the 12v battery. But only if you’ve unplugged the connectors and cut power off the ima battery pack. If you leave it all connected than it shuts everything down and won’t maintain the 12v battery. I had the same questions to learn more in depth about the system and it wasn’t always clear answers . So far that’s what I have gathered.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts