Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I’m new on here so please forgive me for my lack of common knowledge when it comes to hybrids & mechanics in general.

My wife and I recently inherited a 2012 Honda Insight (base model) from a deceased relative.
The problem is, apparently the car has been inactive for around 6 months. The car won’t start on its own. If I use my car to jump it, it turns on and allows me to do everything, drive it, use headlights, interior lights, radio, etc. After driving it for a few minutes (after being jumped) and shutting it off, it will not do more than weakly flash some lights on the dashboard when I try to turn it on using the key. I’ve heard of battery maintainers/chargers.. would that be of use to me? Do I need to have the battery replaced? How much am I looking at here? The car only has 45k miles on it and is in pristine condition so I can’t see getting rid of it but I’d like to stay on a budget.
Thank you in advance!!
Andy

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
It sounds like the 12V battery is bad. Take the 12V battery to an automotive store, have it charged and have it load tested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply!! Will do.. any idea how much they run for if I need a completely new one?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The battery we are talking about is the 12 volt one under the hood. That said, the IMA battery pack in the back under the spare tire is probably degraded from sitting so long. With a fresh 12volt battery under the hood and some serious driving around, you might be able to save that IMA battery pack. The issue is, the simple underhood battery operates all the electronics that control the IMA. Then the real crazy part is that the IMA is what charges the 12 volt battery under the hood. The electric motor attached to the engine both charges the IMA and provides assist.
Do: put your location in your profile, someone close by may be able to help you.
If you do get a 12V battery in there and start driving it around, report back what the IMA needle is doing on the dash. When you brake, for instance, the IMA needle should be going into the charge zone. In normal use, when you accelerate, the needle should go into assist.

Any of you 1st gen guys know how to bring an IMA back from the dead?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Sorry to not really answer your last question.
That 12 volt battery is a Group 151R and should cost between $100. & 160. depending on quality.
If you are not mechanically inclined and have few tools, look up a battery place you can drive to and they will install it for you. If you have AAA, they also can bring batteries and install them.

·
Administrator
11,791 Posts
If you have inherited the car for free then it's worth some investment to get it working properly.

1) Check replace 12v battery as already advised.

2) Drive it around and observe IMA performance, if it recovers great.

3) With such low mileage check out the IMA battery warranty with Honda they might provide some goodwill..

4) If no luck with above speak to a battery vendor on here about a replacement pack.
Sounds like it would def be worth the investment.

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
The 2012 model year is one of the years which sometimes had oil consumption issues (poor piston rings). Keep a close eye on oil consumption as your drive the car. If the consumption is excessive, Honda will replace the rings on recall, after they do their testing. Yours might be ok. Not sure ALL 2012s had the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a plan guys, thank you so much for your replies everyone. I plan on getting the 12V checked out/replaced today. When I was driving it after I jumped the car I‘m fairly certain I was able to see the IMA needle moving in the way you described it with braking/what not. I’ll keep everyone updated!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It is quite common for for these Insights to need 12 volt batteries far more often than one might be used to. Many folks have come here reporting all kinds of issues that a battery fixed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was advised when the 12v quit a few weeks after purchase of my 2011, to remove the battery carrier and replace with the larger Civic battery, which is not undersized like the stock Insight one is. Carrier is gathering dust, 70k miles since and no battery (12v) problems

Reconditioning the IMA batt is expensive and not cost effective as a regular maintenance task. Bumblebee now sells a 8.0 amp/hr upgrade over the 6.5 aH. Since you have no other $ invested and if you like the car, this would be the smart option provided you intend to keep it and the engine issue doesn't bite you.

A drive through the hills with Eco mode off might give the IMA a good enough workout.

·
Registered
2012 Insight Base
36 Posts
oil consumption is about done for all, it ends at 8 yrs from in service date.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FYI: With the car running in park, you can charge the IMA battery by holding 2500 RPM. May take a half hour.

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
oil consumption is about done for all, it ends at 8 yrs from in service date.
I did not know that. Is that in the service bulletin or somewhere in print?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts