Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went away for a week, came back, 12V is dead. Looking for recommendations for a 12V battery that will work but is ideally lighter//smaller than the original battery. I like to save weight here and there if possible. :)

Also, any ideas why the 12V dies on this car? Something to do with heat in the engine bay perhaps? Might isolating it somehow (from the engine heat) be helpful, or am I way out in left field?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got a bigger battery, but I do wish it were in the trunk.

I buy my batteries at Walmart. For 36 months, if it "does not hold a charge" you walk out with a free new one. If you don't have the receipt, they go by the sticker on the battery, so you have another 36 months.

I toyed with the idea of a light weight lithium battery. However, our cars let the battery run down and then charge at 40 amps. Lithium batteries can't take that. My guess it that's why our 12V batteries don't last either.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Although I have a small battery, it is already 3 years old, just need once a year fully charge it and avoid freezing and overheating.
Larger batteries will die early due to constant lack of charge. The Converter is not designed to charge batteries with a larger capacity, so they work for 2-3 years.
Also check the battery on the load device and the current leakage in an electric circuit.
And may be using gel batteries? I planned use it for next Honda hybrid car.:)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It probably was on its way out and had little usable capacity left.
Generally one cell of the battery gets worse than the rest. Once off balance it never gets charged full again as the other cells are full and block further charging, so the bad cell gets depleted further and further until there is virtually no capacity left.

The Insight trickles some power to power the alarm and remote unlock electronics. One week of that may bee too much for a dying battery.
I killed my battery by leaving a map light on. Replaced them with LEDs so I could actually see they are on and have a chance to start the car if nonetheless left on the day before. Even so, one 8W map light should not kill a 35 Ah battery in one night.
Once dead no amount of recharging can put it fully right again; replacing is the only solution.
A healthy 35 Ah battery should be more than enough for our Insights.

Thinking about a small solar panel to trickle (over)charge the battery to make sure all 6 cells are full. Meanwhile I'll give it a regular chargeup (thanks gms24ru).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need a replacement 12v for our 2010 Insight, too. My question is: do I need to use a "memory saver" device to preserve all the computer settings when unhooking the old battery, or does the big hybrid battery keep that information alive (calibrations, clock, radio stations, etc.)?

Thanks for any thoughts.

R

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The big battery knows nothing. Its control electronics are fed by the 12V system, so with that gone all is gone. No problem for the IMA system, that settles quickly enough.
The radio should remember its stations also, but you need the 5 digit code. It is probably written down in your manual or with one of your papers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you. I'm not really worried about the clock and radio, but I was afraid of messing up some of the many computer functions. Guess I'll find the code and replace the 12V myself, then. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Also, any ideas why the 12V dies on this car? Something to do with heat in the engine bay perhaps? Might isolating it somehow (from the engine heat) be helpful, or am I way out in left field?
[edit] Oops, I didn't notice that you have a 2nd generation Insight. I am posting about my G1 car. But the info about the solar panel still applies to your car. [/edit]

These cars are pretty kind to the 12 volt battery. So when the battery gives out there's usually no warning. My battery is 6 years old and it was originally only warrantied for 4 years.

My car has a constant drain on the battery with everything turned off of 0.016 amp with the peak current going to 0.018 amp when the radio led flashes ON. I would guess most of that is to keep the radio presets stored.

Here is what I use to keep my battery topped up when the car is parked at my house:

Solar Cell Panel 5 Watt 12Volt For Car Battery Trickle Charger Backpack Power UP | eBay

I put a cigarette plug on the end of the wires (red wire to center pin of plug), rewired the accessory socket to always have 12 volts on it and leave the panel plugged in all the time. I put the panel on top of the sun shades that cover the dash/windshield.

Another very slight advantage is that the car doesn't have as much work to do to charge the 12v battery when you first start driving the car again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I need a replacement 12v for our 2010 Insight, too. My question is: do I need to use a "memory saver" ........?
When replacing or charging the battery I use a 12v battery of smaller capacity, for example a 5ah or 7ah.
Like this:https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=battery+12v+7ah+5ah&_osacat=48446&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbattery+12v+5ah.TRS0&_nkw=battery+12v+5ah&_sacat=48446
Battery is enough for these operations, all settings are saved, can also be used as a starting battery if capacity loss of the battery under the hood. I use the old battery from the UPS.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts