Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my deal fell through and now I'm on the hunt for inexpensive OEM oil filters for my 2001 CVT Insight again.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Resist:

___Why are you so insistent on OEM’s? Any of the Champion Lab’s manufactured filters are known to be better then the NA procured Honda filters (Fram’s) and may be better then there JDM procured ones given the ADBV of the Champions are the best in the business? It would be a lot easier and less expensive to purchase a SuperTech, STP, Bosch (slightly more expensive), or Mobil1 (a lot more expensive) filter imho.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:i2ds8x6y][email protected][/email:i2ds8x6y]

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people prefer red over silver Insight's. I prefer the OEM oil filters over aftermarket, it's just a choice. I don't expect this car to last 20 years, so having the best oil filter isn't important to me. If I ever trade the car into a Honda dealership I want it to have OEM parts. OEM is not bad by any means and not even the most expensive....if you search around.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Resist:

___Yes, I know this and that is why I am wondering why you are interested in lesser quality Honda OEM Fram’s that are more expensive?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:k89wrqzw][email protected][/email:k89wrqzw]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
In canada the oil filters for Insights that Honda dealers sell are not made by Fram.
They are real OEM Honda filters 8)
made in Japan and cost about $10.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xcel,

Not sure where you get the OEM's are made by Fram. When I buy OEM's you can bet I will get a deal or I won't buy them. Right now the best price for them is $6.95 each, not shipped. I'm sure I can find them cheaper.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Resist:

___Many have cut them open in the past over at BITOG and they were Fram’s. As for $6.95, the Supertech’s are available for $2.07 at my local Walmart. Single and Multi-pass efficiency (98 and 99% respectively) is one of the best in the business. The STP’s and Bosch use very similar if not identical Semi-synthetic media but are a bit more expensive from Pep Boys/AutoZone’s in my area.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1twxo6hd][email protected][/email:1twxo6hd]

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi Resist, you are putting much effort into trying to find a cheaper than usual oil filter. Do you think that the effort is worth the save. I hope that you will not create a third thread about it in the near future.
Too much effort, not enough savings

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have read about the internal differences of oil filters but had not been able to view them until today.
I was at the local Autozone this afternoon and noticed on their filter display that the cans were cut.
They had seven different filters. Looked like Bosch, STP, & Mobil1 were exactly the same. Decent media pleats, well constructed.

Fram was CARDBOARD top and bottom plates. Looked like about 1/3 the media density of the above three.
I certainly hope the Honda filters are NOT made by Fram. If anyone has an old one, cut it apart and compare to the filters at Autozone or post a pic.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a stack of new OEM filters but I'm not sure they will fit an Insight. I purchased them for my CRV, Civic, and Accord. I was told all Honda Cars use one filter. My Accord was stolen and the Civic was sold so I could use to get rid of a few. PM me if you would like to purchase a few at a deeply discounted price.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sorry I confused you Resist so let me restate my intent with a little more detail. On my last trip to the Honda Dealership I decided to pick up a couple of oil filters for my Accord and CRV. I was surprised when the dealer handed me identical filters for a 91 Accord and a 02 CRV where previously they had always been different sizes. The Accord filter was much larger than the CRV filter. I discussed it with the tech who informed me Honda had switched to a universal filter. This was possible because the internal diameter or thread of all of their filters were identical but the previous filters had different capacities and thus, were different sizes. Sure enough, after performing multiple oil changes I have found my old larger filters will work as well as the newer smaller "universal" filters. The tech stated that the "universal" filter was the correct filter for the Civic, Accord, CRV, and Pilot. However, I did not inquire as to the Insight. With all that said I was just trying to assist a fellow Insighter in need. I have about 10 new OEM filters and if you need one or more I would be more than happy to help you out and am willing to sell them to you for less than I paid.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the number on the filter? The Insight filter is very tiny and I doubt they use the same filter for all their car models. I'm thinking the person you spoke to is misinformed. It wouldn't make sense to use a bigger (or smaller) filter on varied engines. This could change the engine oil pressure or use up the filtering capability of the filter media sooner than it should.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts