Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just got bad news - one of the any honda dealers I have used in NJ, Cali or NC ruined my oil pan and never told me - might even be the one I brought it to yesterday. The service tech informed me that at some point (hmmm) someone ruined the oil pan an put in a larger plug. he said it is leaking - well not a drop of oil on my driveway where we park it, and my best friend who has done a brake job for me, rotated tires, etc - an ASE cert. mechanic with his own shop, says he never recalls seeing that when he was under it. (I only bring it to Honda for oil changes - and lucky I did cause they made a major error causing the head gasket to blow and Honda America paid for the entire job - valve job, etc - so in one way it paid to use the dealer there, however looking through ALL my records there is no mention of an oil drain plug replacement, so someone did it to fix their error. Honda in NC wants $714 to replace and install a new one - holy ***. I found a new one on honda parts now for $262 and $10 for the two gaskets. If anyone has a used one that is reasonable, I am disabled so $$ is tight. Thanks for the great website. Cary in Raleigh

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I have the pan. Couldn't ship until 8/6 though due to family vacation starting today.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil pan

cool - what condition and how much? thanks - time frame is fine. you can email me directly at caryncbreeef at yahoo njoy vaca

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Magnesium Oil Pan too.

Hi Im in need of Magnesium Oil pan too...

Mine is cracked (6 inch crack) I know after an inspection of the car. Maybe I could reconditionnate on a place but I prefer ask first now. and see after.

Thanks Just to say Iam interested too. (but yeah serve him first just they are someone else who want another oil pan.

Iam from Quebec.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to get the dealership to replace the pan, however in the process seems other damage occurred. So if he has a pan for sale I no longer need it - it is all yours - good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
OK thanks I will check If I leave to company in my town who can reconditionate oil pan... Or buy a use or a new... Must check the option I got...

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Shipping to Canada might be too expensive. Perhaps you can have a good welder in your town TIG weld the crack closed?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Shipping to Canada might be too expensive. Perhaps you can have a good welder in your town TIG weld the crack closed?
Welding oil-soaked magnesium? Good luck. I hear you can actually make it weep oil by heating it with a blowtorch because of the porosity.

Heck, there's a guy selling a whole engine above for $200... it has an oil pan on it? :p

Sam

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good Ideal

yeah good Ideal for the motor...

MY dad in past got his Oil pan of truck to a company who are put the oil pan in a mixture and it patch the leak and return to you repair...

Guest we will ask if the crack of 6 inch could be repair...

But I must say that 200$ for the motor is a good option my dad could have need the motor for the other Insight...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts