Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide the part numbers I need to price Honda replacement of the IMA battery BCM and MCB for my 2000 M/T Insight?

Since I will not do the repair myself I may be at the mercy of dealer prices. I had one battery replaced but the part numbers do not seem right according to the documentation provided when the 1st battery was replaced. One of the parts was 1K000-PM-060.
I am now facing my 2nd battery replacement and want to make sure Honda is quoting the right part numbers when I get my estimate.

Thanks.

·
7,141 Posts
It is not necessary to replace the BCM and MCM if you're replacing the battery yourself.

1K000-PHM-060 is a MCM.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
According to SB 06-057 the MCM part number for a 2000 Insight MT is
1K000-PHM-070, not PHM-060 but did that change in a later bulletin??
If so can you please attach??

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
A 2000 Insight is out of warranty. Therefore the BCM and MCM are not required to be "upgraded". And you REALLY don't want -070.

According to SB 06-057 the MCM part number for a 2000 Insight MT is
1K000-PHM-070, not PHM-060 but did that change in a later bulletin??
If so can you please attach??

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read this with interest. I am about to be on my 4th battery on my 2000 insight. The dealer claims that 'based on the VIN number" he has to replace the BCM and the MCM with the battery itself. That would cost over $5,000 total including the battery. The service note which he gave me states that the battery is warranted for 80k miles or 5 years. It was replaced less than two years ago under the original (updated) warranty. My total mileage is (really!) about 85k!

I really think they may not have actually checked the part numbers. The bulletin says replace the BCM if defective (which they say it is not) and the MCM if it is not 1K000-PHM-060 or -070.

Car is running fine, albeit with frequent recals, and with the IMA light on.

BTW the IMA code was 77 aka P1447.

Advise welcome.

·
7,141 Posts
Dealerships make me so angry.

Aubrey, this is nothing more than a money grab. Tell them to go pound sand. There is no reason to replace the MCM and BCM if you're buying a battery out of pocket.

However.......

Please, please do not spend $2700 on an inferior Honda battery when the BetterBattery is available for only $2000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Actually, as I read what they gave me, it is unclear what they want for the battery alone. Dealer is appealing to Honda. If they do not do the thing at a significanty reduced price, I think my first option is to keep driving the way it is. The second option is to not replace the battery but install MIMA (which I have but have never installed). Third, get the Better Battery... which looks appealing along with MIMA.

It is not really cost effective to to anything which costs money... but it would be nice to have it working up to snuff again.

BTW, my total average mileage is about 76MPG. 74MPG on current tank. So, mileage is not suffering significantly.

·
7,141 Posts
Yeah, you can keep driving the car the way it is for a long time, until the red 12V battery light comes on. With the P1447-77 error, your mileage won't suffer much. It will once the error deteriorates to a P1449-78 and you lose assist/regen, though.

With a grid charger, MIMA and a little knowhow, you can milk a pack for a long time. The weak OEM pack that I'm testing in #3 throws IMA lights like it's going out of style, but I could drive on it for a long time to come if I wanted to. Just have to avoid using too much assist.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read this with interest. I am about to be on my 4th battery on my 2000 insight. The dealer claims that 'based on the VIN number" he has to replace the BCM and the MCM with the battery itself. That would cost over $5,000 total including the battery. The service note which he gave me states that the battery is warranted for 80k miles or 5 years. It was replaced less than two years ago under the original (updated) warranty. My total mileage is (really!) about 85k!

I really think they may not have actually checked the part numbers. The bulletin says replace the BCM if defective (which they say it is not) and the MCM if it is not 1K000-PHM-060 or -070.

Car is running fine, albeit with frequent recals, and with the IMA light on.

BTW the IMA code was 77 aka P1447.

Advise welcome.

There was a recent service bulletin (3/16/11) that did say all 3 parts should be replaced with our 2000 M/T which the dealer service adviser emailed me. They changed the verbage from "if defective", however, that's for replacement under a warranty.

What I don't understand is the dealer told me if I get all 3 parts (battery,BCM,MCM) the battery will have a 3 year warranty, but if I only get the battery then it will only have a 1 year warranty. Does that make sense to anybody?

They did increase the warranty to 100K/10 years, but unless your in service data was late 2001 you are time-barred (same in my case).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a partial copy of that bulletin 04-028. It states that the MCM is to be replaced ONLY if they are not one of the appropriate part numbers. Isn't that what the dealer sent?

MCM only if NOT 1k000--PHM-060 or -070 or -305

Says: "inspect Battery and BCM and MCM to determine IF they need to be replaced"

I have not discussed warranty (yet).

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,458 Posts
IF you have to invest any money, go with the "BETTER BATTERY. Enough said.
My opinion.
Willie

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The latest service bulletin Service Bulletin, 06-057, not 04-028,sent to me by the dealership, updated 3/16/11. The one you refer to is older. The one sent to me by dealer is approx 500 Kb which seems to exceed what I can attach. Does anyone know how I can post this??

There is also a recent service bulletin about heat damage to the batteries which I would like to read but have been unable to obtain. If anybody has access to these TSB's let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts