Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight (silvio)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like information if someone knows a person with 3D printer, and they hire out for projects.

I want to buy, or create, the plastic gear parts for a failed Hatch Actuator on my 2000 Honda Insight. My motor is working fine, but only key will unlock the tailgate. I need a repair kit for the actuator gears.

Someone may have created a repair kit for this already, since the problem persists over the past 10 years. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,624 Posts
BABYCAR
Please include your Location in your profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You.

·
Registered
2001 M/T Honda Insight
74 Posts
I would like information if someone knows a person with 3D printer, and they hire out for projects.

I want to buy, or create, the plastic gear parts for a failed Hatch Actuator on my 2000 Honda Insight. My motor is working fine, but only key will unlock the tailgate. I need a repair kit for the actuator gears.

Someone may have created a repair kit for this already, since the problem persists over the past 10 years. Any help is appreciated.
To confirm, you are looking to purchase/3D print the actual ABS plastic gears in the hatch actuator mechanism, correct? If so, how do you know for certain that it's specifically the gears malfunctioning/broken?

What you're describing are symptoms of the very common 'whirring noise/motor spins but trunk won't open' issue that plagues our cars. The culprit is usually a small plastic piece which sits in the actuator assembly and is constantly under tension from a little spring. Eventually the piece snaps with regular opening and closing of the hatch and causes the motor and gears to spin freely. Use the search bar and punch in something along the lines of "trunk won't open, 3D printed trunk latch fix", etc. to gain a little more 'insight' on this topic.

There are a few ways to solve this particular issue:

1) Buy the entire actuator assembly (if you can find one, prob. expensive)

2) 3D print and replace the original plastic piece kindly provided by prototypist on Thingiverse (Link to Thingiverse File).

3) Buy from Jesse or 3D print an updated/improved version of above mentioned plastic piece (Link to Detailed Thread w/STL File).

What I have done personally to solve this issue is option #2, but I ordered it to be 3D printed by a company called RE3DTECH from a Markforged carbon fiber reinforced nylon filament which cost me $25, $10 for the part plus $15 for shipping. Installed it in March 2020 and so far, so good, no problems whatsoever. The piece survived pretty intense summer heat (over 100 degrees) as well as winter frost but trunk still opens every time.

Lastly, when 3D printing anything for the Insight, DO NOT USE PLA! It will become brittle in the cold and easily deform during even the mildest summers, ABS, PETG, and Nylon are the way to go. Hope some of this makes a little sense and helps a tad, just my two bucks pennies worth.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight (silvio)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE -- December 1, 2020: I ordered the actuator part from forum member " jesse " [Jesse]

It was installed yesterday, and trunk latch works perfectly now. Don't throw away motors that work -- and save a few bucks at the same time, too. It's just ridiculous that these new OEM actuators cannot be built with a little plastic part that actually LASTS the life of the motor! But.... such is life!

Not only that, the guy who fixed this and removed the broken part, looked at it and said, "This could be glued or something...." So I found this thread here on the forum -- the bad piece that came out of the unit can be repaired and reused. I'll try it!

I'm going to "repair" my original broken piece, to keep it aside in wait for the next time this same thing happens to me.

Thanks, Jesse, for all the help. And fast shipping!
LMBC

·
Linsight Designer
2,692 Posts
No way the OEM clutch "could be glued or something." That part was designed by an intern (along with several other parts in the car). The 3DP clutch piece (aka "TLC") is superior in every way and almost certainly won't fail. I've had the original 3DP TLC prototype installed in my G1 for 8 years and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
2001 M/T Honda Insight
74 Posts
No way the OEM clutch "could be glued or something." That part was designed by an intern (along with several other parts in the car).
^ LOL, yes and AMEN!!!

Did you print yours out of ABS, PETG, Nylon, or something else?

·
Linsight Designer
2,692 Posts
It's a 90% ABS & 10% PC blend. Specifically it's Statasys' P430 filament.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.