Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hex -- Do you have copies of the comps? What company did they use to supply them CCC One or someone else? I'll work with you on the letter to the State Ins. Comm. if you'd like. In the past, I have gotten positive results requesting that the Comm. open an investigation into insurance company X's claims handling practices.
Yeah, some CCC One crap that I'm reading has a pattern of screwing people in the same manner. I wrote a letter to the company detailing the problems and attached it to my complaint to the state insurance commissioner.

Do you have dealer ads for an A/C equipped vehicle?
Yes, I have photos, VINs and print-to-PDF of everything I could find from dealers on over a dozen sites. And that isn't many cars, lol.

If you write the commissioner, it will help to point out the relevant state statutes/ administrative code sections you believe the insurer is not adhering to. It might also be useful to include the insurance company's comps plus your comps and point out the gross disparities on a letter to the commissioner. It is impressive, and sends a message to the insurer that you are a force to be reckoned with.
Yes.

What was the repair estimate?
They didn't give one, nor did they even give a total damage amount, let alone an itemized list. They're digging a hole. I just hope the commissioner's office isn't as crooked as the last state I had to do this in.

It might be useful in your discussions with the insurer to point out this is a rare model and, accordingly, you would consent to broadening the dealer search area beyond the statutorily - prescribed search radius, but the insurer will bear the cost of transporting the vehicle, be it by hauler, or buying you a plane ticket to drive one back from somewhere.
You can also say you're flexible on model year (newer, not older) if that will help them locate a replacement.
They have the option to pay me at their discretion instead, and that's what they want, but yes. It doens't look bad to explain that you're flexible.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
645 Posts
Good luck. Keep us posted. No damage estimate! How do they even know it's a total loss? That's pretty ballsy. I don't think the commissioner's office is going to like that.

I've got to imagine your comps are, on average, 30% higher than the insurer's. What did it take, an hour to write the letter? Pretty decent hourly wage if it produces results.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Good luck. Keep us posted. No damage estimate! How do they even know it's a total loss? That's pretty ballsy. I don't think the commissioner's office is going to like that.

I've got to imagine your comps are, on average, 30% higher than the insurer's. What did it take, an hour to write the letter? Pretty decent hourly wage if it produces results.
Right? They have no proof of anything yet, and I proved they lied or were grossly incompetent, on top of everything else. Took few hours if I include the time to find comps, check the laws, detail all the mistakes.

I'm wondering now how I can demand proof of good IMA packs in their "comparable" cars. Not likely that al these $1500 cars in private listings have a good $2000+ pack in it including labor. You couldn't expect someone to take valuations seriously that don't even consider that repair cost, but they use a BS valuation service that's known to lowball and say "well, that's just what it's worth". Jsut because the engine runs doesn't mean it has a fully functioning drivetrain.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Do the comps have current inspections? If not, one could argue the IMA packs are part of the emissions systems of the cars and to pass inspection might require a $2000 investment.

I wouldn't accept any private listings as comps if the statute requires you be paid at dealer retail.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If they are using private listings they are not providing you with valid comps if your statute specifies dealer retail as the basis for arriving at a loss value.

I would reject any private data as per se invalid. Arguably that is evidence of bad faith. They know what the statute provides, why are they using something different?

·
Registered
645 Posts
By the way, if you are dealing with Allstate, search the web for references to a book - From Good Hands to Boxing Gloves -- where McKinsey Consulting came in and advised Allstate to up its profits by lowering its loss payouts by 20% across the board (if memory serves). So be skeptical of any settlement offer from Allstate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yep, anyone who uses CCC is suspect too. They've been involved in lawsuits as well.

I think I spooked them by showing the state multiple ongoing violations of law. Their new comps were still too low, no A/C or anything, but magically $1k higher and still even numbers. Since when are book values always even thousands? What are the odds? But the manager listed my car significantly higher anyway. He more than doubled the offer to a reasonable ballpark, where I could get a car with a good IMA. Just need to finalize after I check fine print.

I'll probably take the buyback and since I know my trans bearings were changed. I'll be posting a thread about repair, like whether the rear glass 73255-S3Y-003 can be replaced separately or if the whole (huge, expensive, non-shipable) rear hatch really needs to be changed as a unit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you can find the rear glass, the Service Manual shows you how to remove/replace all of the glass.

Good luck with your fight.

·
Registered
645 Posts
One more chip at them for an additional $500 for A/C value and you could be done.

Bravo for fighting the good fight. It ultimately benefits all of us.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
One more chip at them for an additional $500 for A/C value and you could be done.

Bravo for fighting the good fight. It ultimately benefits all of us.
Their offer is quite fair at this point considering A/C. It's above $4k, above their comparables, so he must have figured everything in or just gone off what's truly on the market... which of course is what my comps were. I recognize the photos, haha

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you feel like you now have a fair offer, that's great and entirely to your credit.

What type of hourly wage rate did you tack on for having to do the insurer's work for them?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If you feel like you now have a fair offer, that's great and entirely to your credit.

What type of hourly wage rate did you tack on for having to do the insurer's work for them?
Considering all my phone calls, it could easily be in 10-20 hours, but their offer went up by a few grand, so it'd be in the triple digits lol

·
Registered
645 Posts
So the insurer's offer was less than 50% of the dealer retail market value of your car, is that right?

The takeaway -- never accept the insurer's first offer.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts