Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is Lazer. I live in Wausau, WI. I have a 2000 Honda Insight with @ 280,000 miles on it.

The other day my CEL came on and it was related to the first O2 sensor. When I inspected things I discovered that the top motor mounts were shot causing extra vibration if the engine that in turn broke my Pre Catalytic Converter. So I'm looking for good used replacements for these failed parts as well as a source for the gaskets.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello,

Are you referring to the left and right upper mounts? If so, I have both of those, used, but repaired with 100% silicone. It stiffens them up nicely, but not so stiff you get all kinds of vibration within the cabin. I've been running my Insight this way for the last 5 months and works great.

What gaskets are you looking for? I have the doughnut gasket that often fails between the pre-cat and secondary cat as well.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
Apparently you (lazer) have chosen to not receive PM's. Please include your location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
thank You
Willie

·
Registered
84 Posts
You bought my old car...

The top cat was new sometime in july.
the 3rd motor/trans mount was filled with polyurethane.
The jeep doughnut gasket was used with new spring bolts(IIRC)

·
Super Moderator
6,877 Posts
The other day my CEL came on and it was related to the first O2 sensor. When I inspected things I discovered that the top motor mounts were shot causing extra vibration if the engine that in turn broke my Pre Catalytic Converter. So I'm looking for good used replacements for these failed parts as well as a source for the
Make sure your lower catalytic brace is installed. If it is missing, it will cause the 1st catalytic to crack. If it is a reasonably small crack, you can find someone to weld it for you.

If you click "User CD" then "edit my details" on the left hand bar, you can include a city. It will help all involved, especially you.:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Make sure your lower catalytic brace is installed. If it is missing, it will cause the 1st catalytic to crack. If it is a reasonably small crack, you can find someone to weld it for you.

If you click "User CD" then "edit my details" on the left hand bar, you can include a city. It will help all involved, especially you.:)
Aftermarket cat. No mount for the brace

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently you (lazer) have chosen to not receive PM's. Please include your location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
thank You
Willie
Willie,

I want to do this, but I am having difficulty finding where I ad this information on my user control panel (CP). I also have private messages activated.

Is it because I have been accessing the site via the ap and not a computer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have a pic of what this brace is supposed to look like. Maybe I could have something welded to it.

The PreCat broke cleanly off the pipe. Looks like it may be able to be re-welded..

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
On user control panel. edit your DETAILS. Put in location.

The first CAT is supposed to be braced, not the second cat. The second cat has bungee bands.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Stay, Ex Manifold - Honda (11941-PHM-000)

The brace for the upper cat is called:

Stay, Ex Manifold - Honda (11941-PHM-000) Costs less than $20.

Careful - some aftermarket cats don't have the threaded mounting hole to attach the stay on the bottom flange.

I had an upper cat crack because the stay had rusted through. I also had to install one on my 2000 MT because it was missing when bought the car. i assume the upper cat was replaced by the dealer at some point and they didn't bother replacing the brace. I actually know someone locally who had an upper cat repaired at a dealer, and when she asked them specifically to install the stay brace, they told her it wasn't needed and refused to install one. Guess they want to keep replacing the upper cat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts